Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:18:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: bter hacked and lost 50m nxt  (Read 25434 times)
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:24:40 PM

Isn't it too late to do that temporary roll back or whatever?
That means it is too late for NXT as well. I wonder what the hacker will do, manipulate the market or sell off.

LaudaM, you love to spread your shit all over the forum. I didnt read yet any comment from you that shows a minimum of intelligence.

Although you know that the hacker gave back most of the NXT to Bter, you continue spreading FUD and lies.... Roll Eyes

How much did they give back? I heard they got back the 5 million. Anything else did they get back?

the hacker gave back 42M of the 50M NXT to BTER in exchange for 330btc(440btc total) that was given by BTER.

Hacker left before the last 8M NXT was given back, but that won't hurt NXT anywhere near as the 45M NXT that was stolen.

Hacker "thesir" stated he believed in NXT and would hold it at least a year, before thinking of selling.

what ?

you said.. "the hacker gave back 42M of the 50M NXT to BTER in exchange for 330btc(440btc total) that was given by BTER."

330 or 440 Bitcoins paid to the hacker ? WOW !
i bet a whole lot MORE hackers are busy digging for exploits right now LOL
they can prob already smell that pay check ahhaha

BTER i am assuming you have been honest with us over what happened so i feel bad for you guys.. sorry to hear about you troubles Sad
If i hear anything of use to you guys i will pass it along to you although i am not actively hunting for a hacker though.
Good luck BTER !

FUD first & ask questions later™
hl5460 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1620
Merit: 1000

news.8btc.com

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 03:18:57 AM

hacker's btc address: https://blockchain.info/address/1AEEasymuZCAXFEcLmgUwQZLA69Kc6GGUW

12:21 2.33 M Nxt ---> BTER

12:28 20BTC ---> Hacker

12:28 2M Nxt ---> BTER

12:33 20BTC ---> Hacker

12:34 4M Nxt --->BTER

12:47 40 BTC---> Hacker

12:43 4M Nxt ---> BTER

12:55 35 BTC ---> Hacker

12:57 6M Nxt ---> BTER

13:16 65 BTC ---> Hacker

13:16 10M Nxt ---> BTER

13:19 80BTC ---> Hacker

13:21 10M Nxt ---> BTER

13:50 70 BTC ---> Hacker

coinpump

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:24:07 AM

That actually confirms the decentralised nature of it. Nobody in particular can choose to roll back, that has to be reached through a democratic decision built through a decentralised consensus. It's the very definition of decentralisation. What you are talking about is Laissez-Faire politics, where you just don't care about stopping the thief.

I don't necessarily support rollbacks. But as we've gone over many times in this thread, a group of miners/forgers deciding on what chain to continue on is clearly decentralised. Just because you don't like an idea doesn't mean you can just apply an erroneous label to it.

well in your understanding 
centralized=decision of one person or maybe a few of persons
decentralized= decision of many people, majority wins

in my understanding
decentralized= individual decision of each and every person about their own property within the limit of given rules (code)
centralized= anybody (be it one person or many persons) can make arbitrary decisions about anybody else's property

the whole purpose of Bitcoin or any other decent crypto as a technical solution is to guarantee that nobody can make arbitrary decisions about anybody else's property. This is why I am ready to call them decentralized solutions. Everybody has to follow the same rules. Majority of hashing power is used as a best way to prevent attacks, best incentive to stick to the code.  But in your undestanding one specific majority can make arbitrary decisions. 

whatever the result of the vote, I have serious misgivings about cryptocurrencies - just an existence of such a vote is bad

This is a very great explanation, he did a much better job explaining why I've wanted to punch my computer reading these "decentralized" posts for the last few hours.

Great post. So do you now understand everyone?

Chris, I like your posts and agree that rollback should never happen or even be up for any sort of voting or even have slight possibility of happening.
Ideally hard forks should be impossible as well as any software updates to core library and protocol.

However, the main obstacle here is that programmers are not capable to implement anything without bugs to be able to irreversibly close the gate of software updates that they usually use to correct own mistakes. If that gate was closed it would make it impossible to rollback or do anything else that majority of forgers may decide to do.

Currently all cryptos have that gate open and majority of forgers trust and depend upon software updates from dev team, which makes dev team one central power that can decide the future and change the past. Of course, forgers have final say of what they run on their servers, but what if dev makes a bug on purpose that nobody notices and then publishes new version with hard fork that would nullify balances of all accounts that end with digit 0 or have less than 7 digits. Forgers will have no choice, but to obey and update because otherwise bug will do something worse...
What if majority of forgers at some point happen to be US citizens and US govt obligated them to do software update prepared by NSA with hard fork banning all accounts that they deem to belong to Chinese.

Democracy/decentralization was only chosen as the only known way to mitigate that obstacle (by keeping the gate open while allowing only consensus to decide what goes through).
Both democracy and decentralization are not ideal and actually are bad given that majority of voters are retards or clueless making votes based on distorted information distributed by centralized media channels.
Example: Adolph Hitler was democratically elected. Some may argue that his removal through time machine localized rollback would make it worse by allowing Stalin to conquer the world, but I doubt that German voters thought about opposition to Stalin when they voted for Adolph Hitler. Another theory could be that Adolph Hitler was good at the time of election, but transformed his positions due to threat from Stalin, but I will let historians to counter that argument and consequently prove that democracy sucks.

One significant difference that I see between government supported democracy and crypto decentralization is that in democracy one human has one vote, but in crypto decentralization one coin has one vote. Crypto decentralization helps to somewhat mitigate disadvantage of democracy where retards have to much voting power just because retards usually don't have as many coins as smart people. But it does not solve problem of clueless vote of smart people based on information that they learn. And while power is distributed, information channel that they trust may be centralized, which makes the whole thing centralized.
Example: US voters had real chances to elect someone who is not republican or democrat, but failed to do so mostly because of centralized mass media channel controlled by republicans&democrats.
Another example: let US voters to vote for bombing and occupation of major foreign oil regions to save US govt from default, repay all US debt and keep gas prices below 40 cents/gallon - what do you think the vote result will be ?

My point is - democracy or decentralization are not goals, but only available at the moment faulty tools.
The goal is to have a system with never changing set of rules like The Constitution.

We have to invent reliable set of mathematical rules, build crypto system without bugs that enforces these rules and make it impossible to ever change that system.
That should be the goal of all best hackers in the world. If they can't produce system without bugs then they are not as good as they seem.

Example of closing the main gate was when George Washington relinquished his power to The Constitution and The People.
But he was afraid of mistakes/bugs too, so he left many smaller gates open to change it by The People.

So around 1913 some of these gates could not hold pressure of change from powerful financial elite and were broken letting flood of evil to come to US land.
After that most of gates that were so well established before, were broken by The People who were practically forced to do so by accumulated evil through main leak of 1913.

Gold confiscation was one of those broken rules and is similar to the rollback. The People decided that those who have gold did not obtain it properly or otherwise did not deserve to keep it, so ugly rollback was implemented in form of confiscation.

Since we have chicken and egg problem with dev and crypto currency, it must be solved same way as George Washington did. Dev at some point must relinquish his power by closing software update gate in such a way that it can never be opened again even by himself or with any less than 100% consensus. Only 100% consensus can change it by shutting down all servers and destroying the whole network.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:37:07 AM

You guys don't get it.
NXT is supposed to be a social experiment as well as a crypto currency experiment per its founder's original intention.

That's why a choice was presented to the community. The majority of the community were against rollback and voted against rollback with their stakes, which can be interpreted as the majority of NXT community understand the purposes of crypto and why rewriting history is bad, unless it's a technical issue with software of course.

If no choice had been given, the NXT community wouldn't know who stands for which values. It's best to know beforehand while NXT is still small what the community members are up to, because without a community any crypto currency is dead. If no choice had been given, it would mean developers couldn't be sure in the future if NXT is supported just by profiteers or mostly by genuine enthusiasts. Now they can be sure of the latter outcome.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:09:10 AM

that terminology concerns me.. i don't want to be heavily invested in a "social experiment" thanks.
that just comes across like a crappy excuse..
like your just trying to smooth things over.

TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 08:14:39 AM

that terminology concerns me.. i don't want to be heavily invested in a "social experiment" thanks.

Unless I get this wrong, why do you "need" to be heavily invested in this social experiment? Who exacatly makes you?
Just ignore it and live on your life Smiley

ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:14:26 AM

Last time i saw Spoetnik avatar he has a pretty green +1

Now it is totally fucked up  Embarrassed  He is a scammer for the rest of the forum. Cry
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:22:03 AM

Well, you don't have to invest. Bitcoin is also a social experiment, by the way. Basically, anything is Smiley
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 10:50:18 AM

wow and you guys call me the retard ?

hey everyone did you just see the replies i got ?
R to the mutha fucking O to the F the... L

ughhh god i can't.. i feel like i am wailing on toddlers
was that your best little come back ?
you realize you are so far out your league i just bat you around like little mice for the fun of it right ?
and i can go in for the kill any times i please.. you make it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy noobs.

stick to 4chan or redditt what ever my kiddiot crypto-friends and don't worry school will be back on soon enough Wink

oh ohh ohhhh my douchy piece of shit scam coin fake currency slash social experiment / IP0 scAm is liek the Bitcoin Killer!!!1111ONE !!!

pop quiz time scam coin bag holding kids..

Spoetnik is..
a) Jealous (he didn't get in on the ground floor of this amazing one of a kind, once in a life time scam coin opportunity)
b) Angry (you can tell by my font)
c) A Troll (i wrote it in English so it's Trolling of course / anything i type out is Trolling) (i have a special Logitech keyboard that only types out Trolling)
d) A FUD'erer (like my shit coin or i will hate you and call you names)
e) A Retard (casting dispersions on people based on your own insecurities ?)
f) Hater (been a while since i got that one LOL)
g) Your mighty Altcoin Ruler of all of crypto and the knower and haver of all things seen and known far and wide for all of mankind in all of time and space now and forever ?

You kids are so inept and childish and intellectually challenged that my IQ keeps dropping the more i come here and read your sad and pathetic excuses why bad is good..

Hey 7 guys own all IPO'd NXT coins..
?
Bitcoin Killer !

Hey logic time !!!
See an old lady getting beat with a bat ? or innocent victims being ripped off for large amounts of money ?
mind your own business..     Roll Eyes     MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE SHIT-COIN DEFENSE RETORT !!!
..and the last couple replies i just got here on this very topic hahahha
when BTC is worth 10k a coin i bet BTER will be sad they gave away 400 Bitcoins LOL

my gif(t) to you my little NXT Mensa-Crypto-Monsters.. please DO choke on it Wink

noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 11:33:23 AM

You guys don't get it.
NXT is supposed to be a social experiment as well as a crypto currency experiment per its founder's original intention.

That's why a choice was presented to the community. The majority of the community were against rollback and voted against rollback with their stakes, which can be interpreted as the majority of NXT community understand the purposes of crypto and why rewriting history is bad, unless it's a technical issue with software of course.

If no choice had been given, the NXT community wouldn't know who stands for which values. It's best to know beforehand while NXT is still small what the community members are up to, because without a community any crypto currency is dead. If no choice had been given, it would mean developers couldn't be sure in the future if NXT is supported just by profiteers or mostly by genuine enthusiasts. Now they can be sure of the latter outcome.

I loved out how the community came together to vote against this, I felt bad for bter but its the community that makes the coin, not the exchanges.  I wonder if coins were insured somehow, will it make a difference in saving bter from this, or it can also lead to abuse of altcoins as well?

Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 11:39:40 AM

You guys don't get it.

I loved out how the community came together to vote against this, I felt bad for bter but its the community that makes the coin, not the exchanges.  I wonder if coins were insured somehow, will it make a difference in saving bter from this, or it can also lead to abuse of altcoins as well?

Deja Vu. Wasn't a rollback considered for a coin that got hacked on Mintpal recently? I agree rollbacks are not in the best interests of decentralised cryptocurrency. Once something is stolen, it is stolen. Takesies backsies doesn't work for crypto.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 11:43:07 AM

You guys don't get it.

Deja Vu. Wasn't a rollback considered for a coin that got hacked on Mintpal recently? I agree rollbacks are not in the best interests of decentralised cryptocurrency. Once something is stolen, it is stolen. Takesies backsies doesn't work for crypto.

and What do you think if a coin can have a insured type of backing to it?

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:35:16 PM

You guys don't get it.

and What do you think if a coin can have a insured type of backing to it?

In theory it would be nice but how could you stop people "losing" their coins by stealing them themselves and claiming it?
TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:50:45 PM

Update on the last 8million NXT? Did Bter receive it?

Bter must be rich to absorb the 330 BTC payout.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
mr angry

Activity: 298
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:09:01 PM

This guy seems to know about the last 8million NXT, but I don't know where he got his information from.

the hacker gave back 42M of the 50M NXT to BTER in exchange for 330btc(440btc total) that was given by BTER.

Hacker left before the last 8M NXT was given back, but that won't hurt NXT anywhere near as the 45M NXT that was stolen.

Hacker "thesir" stated he believed in NXT and would hold it at least a year, before thinking of selling.
kknk808

Activity: 40

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:11:58 PM

This guy seems to know about the last 8million NXT, but I don't know where he got his information from.

from the nxtforums,this was prior to giving most of the NXT back to BTER https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/three-solutions-proposed-by-bter-com-(200btc-deal-or-310btc-bounty-or-fork)/msg84831/#msg84831

you are from Chojnice, Poland?
No. Right now - I'm from Hamilton, Canada.

An unexpected supporter of the no-fork proponents  Shocked

Indeed.

You have a counter-offer?
At least double it.

Whole 55mil NXT might not be worth 1.8mil right now, or next 6 months... but even me holding it - I don't see why it couldn't be back to 1.8mil in a year. I believe in NXT! Smiley

I don't need to get ride of them out any time soon, they can sit there..

If forks happens, then it happens. I eat my losses.

Either case - 200 BTC does't satisfy me.
mr angry

Activity: 298
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:15:35 PM

Thanks, is the hacker trying to get more bitcoins for his remaining Nxt. or is he just holding onto them?
kknk808

Activity: 40

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:17:27 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2014, 09:30:15 PM by kknk808

Thanks, is the hacker trying to get more bitcoins for his remaining Nxt?

nobody knows other than the hacker and bter most likely. BTER's NXT account hasn't been funded by the hacker beyond the 42M and the hackers BTC account is still the same (he seemed to have moved his funds though).

BTER NXT Account: https://nxtblocks.info/#section/accountId/NXT-R3V3-2S79-F3ZM-BVXKZ

Hacker BTC Account: https://blockchain.info/address/1AEEasymuZCAXFEcLmgUwQZLA69Kc6GGUW
Lyricz
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:41:39 PM

Hello,
..now bter had received 46.000.000NXT,.....does anyone knows when it will be possible to withdraw NXT from bter to the local wallet?
GogglesPisano

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:26:05 PM

So in the end the hacker walked away with 440BTC AND 8 million NXT?!

OMG, what a haul!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: