Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:35:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwolla email - "We need to verify your identity!"  (Read 10734 times)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 10:36:50 PM

If it was going to be a problem, they wouldn't offer it as an option that could be enabled in the control panel, I would think. 

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:02:25 PM

If it was going to be a problem, they wouldn't offer it as an option that could be enabled in the control panel, I would think. 

Companies routinely offer stuff which they eventually withdraw because they find it's not economically viable for some reason.  A certain amount of fraud is expected in providing any financial service but no company has the capacity to absorb unlimited amounts of fraud.  Once a particular vulnerability gets exploited, it becomes well known and more people exploit it - when losses become unacceptably high, the underlying mechanism which allows the fraud is often withdrawn or heavily restricted.  Small start-ups often grossly estimate the incidence of fraud they're likely to encounter.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:27:15 PM

Companies routinely offer stuff which they eventually withdraw because they find it's not economically viable for some reason.  A certain amount of fraud is expected in providing any financial service but no company has the capacity to absorb unlimited amounts of fraud.  Once a particular vulnerability gets exploited, it becomes well known and more people exploit it - when losses become unacceptably high, the underlying mechanism which allows the fraud is often withdrawn or heavily restricted.  Small start-ups often grossly estimate the incidence of fraud they're likely to encounter.

Some companies (like one's I've worked for in the past) will be straight-up with their customers and explain why it is impossible to meet a perceived obligation no matter who's fault it is.  Customers tend not to be overjoyed but can usually understand and accept the reality.

Other companies (such as Dwolla) seem to find it a more rational solution to effectively steal back the money from their customers and doctor up whatever paperwork needs doctoring.

I'd personally be delighted to see Dwolla suffer because of their business choices, but I hope they do live long enough to lose the lawsuit that Tradehill has opened against them and cough up some investor dough before going under.

Dwolla has (according to Tradehill) cost me personally my preferred method transferring value between USD and BTC.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:50:43 PM

Dwolla has (according to Tradehill) cost me personally my preferred method transferring value between USD and BTC.

That.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: