Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:15:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am trying to read the Bitcoin source code, again.  (Read 4624 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 05:07:13 AM

Tell me, in what folder and with what file do I begin? What libraries do I need to know about?

I have never written anything this large -- much less read through it.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marked

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:15:23 AM

use Doxygen? though it probably depends on how well the code is commented.

Generally you start with /src/main.cpp and then follow the execution paths.

Alternatively load the project into an IDE that can follow functions, headers, etc.

marked
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:40:11 AM

use Doxygen? though it probably depends on how well the code is commented.

Generally you start with /src/main.cpp and then follow the execution paths.

Alternatively load the project into an IDE that can follow functions, headers, etc.

marked

Righto. Thanks. I really should try studying the syntax of C++ rather than applying prior knowledge from other languages. >_<

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:42:40 AM

It's a big task to read the entire source code in one go. Reading source code "in the abstract" is hard work.

Why not pick some aspect that particularly interests you. For example: coin allocation, or the user interface for the address book, or block discouragement, or whatever. Then explore that part of the code.

Better still, find a change you'd be interested in making. That forces you to get to grips with that part of the code.

Oh, and have you even compiled the source code yourself? That's the first step, and it can be an interesting and educational experience in itself (especially on Fedora or Red Hat where you'll need to overcome some dependencies). Even if you don't plan to make any software changes, the building the application will help you become familiar with its files.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:47:29 AM

It's a big task to read the entire source code in one go. Reading source code "in the abstract" is hard work.

Why not pick some aspect that particularly interests you. For example: coin allocation, or the user interface for the address book, or block discouragement, or whatever. Then explore that part of the code.

Better still, find a change you'd be interested in making. That forces you to get to grips with that part of the code.

Oh, and have you even compiled the source code yourself? That's the first step, and it can be an interesting and educational experience in itself (especially on Fedora or Red Hat where you'll need to overcome some dependencies). Even if you don't plan to make any software changes, the building the application will help you become familiar with its files.

Let's just say I come up with goals too big for my own good. I will probably end up settling for something small at the end of this.

Yeah, I'll compile it first. That's pretty essential.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 03:58:57 PM

Start with this stickied thread.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
fivebells

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 04:25:08 PM

The version control history is pretty well organized.  I have gotten some mileage out of browsing it with gitk.   Also, libcoin is a fork which sells itself as a drop-in bitcoin replacement with better organized source code.  Might be worth a look.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: