Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:54:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to tell if you solved a block?  (Read 1982 times)
st4rdust (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:17:07 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2012, 12:15:48 AM by st4rdust

If my client says, "Generated (50.0006 matures in xxx more blocks)", but under the Credit column, it is listed at 0.00. If I generated a block on my own, wouldn't I earn 50 BTCs instead of the 0.00 listed in the transaction?

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:21:19 PM

I recently started solo mining and I just noticed a new transaction in my Bitcoin client. It says, "Generated (50.0006 matures in 116 more blocks)", but under the Credit column, it is listed at 0.00. If I generated a block on my own, wouldn't I earn 50 BTCs instead of the 0.00 listed in the transaction?

Sorry, I'm new to solo mining and I'm not sure what this means. Can anybody help me out with some insight?

You need to wait 116 blocks for it to show.

Congrats on solving a block!  Cheesy  Better hope the price doesn't drop to 0 in the next 24 hours   Grin
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:21:48 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2012, 12:10:22 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Yes so found a block. Assuming it doesn't become orphaned you balance will increase once the blocks remaining counter hits zero.  If it does get orphaned well that is the variance gods punching you in the nuts.

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:37:48 PM

I recently started solo mining and I just noticed a new transaction in my Bitcoin client. It says, "Generated (50.0006 matures in 116 more blocks)", but under the Credit column, it is listed at 0.00. If I generated a block on my own, wouldn't I earn 50 BTCs instead of the 0.00 listed in the transaction?

Sorry, I'm new to solo mining and I'm not sure what this means. Can anybody help me out with some insight?

You sponsoring bitcointalk pizza ? Tongue

I really hope, especially if you are small time miner, that you do earn this block and not get invalidated by deepbit or some larger pool.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
st4rdust (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:40:42 PM

the address in the coinbase should match an address in your wallet.

No, it doesn't seem to match any of mine. I believe the block was actually solved some time yesterday evening or early this morning, though. I just happened to notice the new transaction in my client today.

st4rdust (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:42:47 PM

I really hope, especially if you are small time miner, that you do earn this block and not get invalidated by deepbit or some larger pool.

How would that happen? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:45:32 PM

Nope however it is pretty rare and given the block was found more than 4 blocks ago you are well out of the "danger zone".

An orphan occurs when two miners (say you and Deepbit) find a block at roughly the same time.  Part of the network is building off your chain, part of their chains.  Eventually one chain will be longer and the other chain dies.

st4rdust (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:49:45 PM

Nope however it is pretty rare and given the block was found more than 4 blocks ago you are well out of the "danger zone".

An orphan occurs when two miners (say you and Deepbit) find a block at roughly the same time.  Part of the network is building off your chain, part of their chains.  Eventually one chain will be longer and the other chain dies.

Aha, thank you for the information. Again I must apologize for my naivete in the realm of solo mining. I am indeed a relatively "small-time" miner as you guessed, only operating between 2-3ghash/s. I turned my miners over to the solo configuration as a half-joke really, that I'd leave them going for maybe a few weeks and see if I might get lucky, but I never imagined I might find a block, especially so quickly, that's why I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing in my transaction register.

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 01:15:53 AM

Aha, thank you for the information. Again I must apologize for my naivete in the realm of solo mining. I am indeed a relatively "small-time" miner as you guessed, only operating between 2-3ghash/s. I turned my miners over to the solo configuration as a half-joke really, that I'd leave them going for maybe a few weeks and see if I might get lucky, but I never imagined I might find a block, especially so quickly, that's why I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing in my transaction register.

Once it confirms, you sir just found ~$225 on the interwebz Cheesy

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 01:53:12 AM

Better than finding them. He just did something only allowed to central banks, he created money, the lucky bastard... Tongue
st4rdust (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 03:06:12 AM

Better than finding them. He just did something only allowed to central banks, he created money, the lucky bastard... Tongue

I feel like your avatar. Or Harry Crane's Father-in-Law from AMC's Mad Men: "It turns out, he shits gold ingots."

Jaryu

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 05:03:09 AM

which software are you using to solo mine and how long did it take you to solve the block since you mentioned that it was solved quickly?
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2012, 05:35:54 AM

How many GH/s do you have? You must be one lucky **** if you solved it with a single rig...

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: