Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:00:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamonds for Bitcoins  (Read 8454 times)
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 12:28:45 AM

I thank everyone for their kind words,  and good sense of humor, but the important issue is actually getting a large company like this to accept Bitcoins.

I would guess there are two main road blocks from their point of view.

1. Will they even get any orders from people with Bitcoins?
2. How can they automate the Bitcoin checkout?

To solve #1,  lets make a list of people who will promise to make a purchase from Blue Nile with Bitcoins should they publicly accept them.
It can work similarly to the Bitcoin 100 for charities,  but this time, it will be for large corporations.

They have items starting from just $25,  so nearly everyone can afford to help out.

Let's call this project "the Bitcoin 100: A Kickstarter for big businesses"

Some initial target companies that come to mind are:
1. Bluenile.com
2. newegg.com
3. memoryx.net  (I know the owner, and he seems likely to be converted.)

I've started the official thread here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74400.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jothan

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 12:56:50 AM

Whats it cost to insure the milky way?

Might not be insurable, as it will come into a collision with Andromeda within only a few billion years. I don't know if the local cluster galaxy repairman can get it fixed.

Expect a high premium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda%E2%80%93Milky_Way_collision

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 01:04:28 AM

We just need to make the price rise like a rocket.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 01:06:00 AM

Might not be insurable, as it will come into a collision with Andromeda within only a few billion years. I don't know if the local cluster galaxy repairman can get it fixed.

Expect a high premium.

If humans will continue to evolve in intelligence in steady rate, after few billion years the galaxy collision can be repaired or even prevented.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:10:10 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2012, 10:44:41 AM by goodlord666

I liked the pizza deal much better.
The way it stipulated commerce and brought the coins back into circulation.

What's a diamond cartel going to do with them once they see the value other than holding on to them and prolonging their empire?

I'd rather cater Bitcoins to new ideas than the rich and established.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 11:07:55 PM

I thank everyone for their kind words,  and good sense of humor, but the important issue is actually getting a large company like this to accept Bitcoins.

I would guess there are two main road blocks from their point of view.

1. Will they even get any orders from people with Bitcoins?
2. How can they automate the Bitcoin checkout?

To solve #1,  lets make a list of people who will promise to make a purchase from Blue Nile with Bitcoins should they publicly accept them.
It can work similarly to the Bitcoin 100 for charities,  but this time, it will be for large corporations.

They have items starting from just $25,  so nearly everyone can afford to help out.

Let's call this project "the Bitcoin 100: A Kickstarter for big businesses"

Some initial target companies that come to mind are:
1. Bluenile.com
2. newegg.com
3. memoryx.net  (I know the owner, and he seems likely to be converted.)

I've started the official thread here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74400.0

I emailed Newegg some time ago, but never heard a response back.  I buy a lot of stuff from Newegg and would buy even more if they accepted bitcoin.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
virtualfaqs

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2012, 12:30:31 AM

If you're willing to send 10,000 BTC to them and let them convert it all to $50,000 cash, then I don't see why they wouldn't accept. There could definitely be problems mid-transaction but if done in a way that's 0 risk to them then every company would jump on board.

You may consider splitting it into 10 transactions of 1000BTC

https://twitter.com/virtualfaqs
Looking for altcoin pump advice? Then follow me.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2012, 12:39:20 AM

If you're willing to send 10,000 BTC to them and let them convert it all to $50,000 cash, then I don't see why they wouldn't accept. There could definitely be problems mid-transaction but if done in a way that's 0 risk to them then every company would jump on board.

You may consider splitting it into 10 transactions of 1000BTC

what risk?
the only risk is sending it to the wrong bitcoin address?

bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 12:55:57 AM

Expect a high premium.

If humans will continue to evolve in intelligence in steady rate, after few billion years the galaxy collision can be repaired or even prevented.

The best bet would be getting Ray Kurzweil to insure it.

Ok, now I'll stop taking this OT.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 12:54:16 PM

Thank you a lot!
I knew this article from ages ago and lost it. Everyone who thinks about buying a diamond should be forced to read it. The diamond invention simply is the biggest economic scam of all times.

Ente

(who will eventually, at some point of life, dig up a diamond out of the ground, and will have paid a ridiculous amount for this)
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 01:57:12 AM

It takes supernova explosion to create gold/sliver and other metals, but the nature only needs earth crust pressure to make diamonds.

Common senses says it shouldn't be a quantum leap from synthesizing small diamonds to making big ones, especially with this kind of financial incentive.

Something smells fishy.
stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 02:30:07 PM

The argument about diamond formation just made me laugh.  You guys are a bunch of nerds! (I'm a big nerd, it's a figure of speech, chill).

The fact is, diamonds have been marketed to women for ages.  It's how women think of them, not the technical details.  Don't spoil Roger's party!
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 02:50:09 PM

The argument about diamond formation just made me laugh.  You guys are a bunch of nerds! (I'm a big nerd, it's a figure of speech, chill).

The fact is, diamonds have been marketed to women for ages.  It's how women think of them, not the technical details.  Don't spoil Roger's party!
That's not what the article says, it says before 1870, not many people knew or cared about diamond, no matter how rare it was.

My guess is, before glass-making technique was discovered, to most women in the world, a large clear glass bead probably valued more than a diamond.
Jalum

Activity: 774

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:39:49 PM

I will be getting married this year,  and will need to buy a diamond ring.
I've decided that this is a good opportunity to bring more companies on board with Bitcoin.

My fiancé agreed to allow me to buy the ring with Bitcoins, with the condition that I have it by the end of March April 2012.
That day is quickly approaching,  so I need the Bitcoin community's help to make this happen.

Are you in the market for an engagement ring or a wedding band?  $50k is pretty unthinkable for a wedding band, unless it's an eternity band made with 1 carat diamonds.  If you mean an engagement ring, then yeah you can certainly pay up to that.

My family has been in the jewelry business for over 70 years.  I work at our store on Jeweler's Row in Chicago.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

In full disclosure, I am not a bitcoin supporter or advocate.  But as long as you can convert them to dollars, we can do business if you so choose.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 04:32:43 PM

That's not what the article says, it says before 1870, not many people knew or cared about diamond, no matter how "rare" it was.

Fix'd that for you ;-)
Try to find a decent sized ruby or emerald in the quality (clarity) of a off-the-mill diamond. If you do succeed, compare the pricestickers. Will be like comparing prices of a bicycle to some seriously expensice sportscar. Once you wake up again from stickershock, that is. ;-)
Not ranting to bitcool, or let alone Roger! Ain't even mad!

Now, if you want some seriously extravagant stone: Go for alexandrite! One of the rarest stones (when in gem-quality), unlike the warehouses full of diamonds. It frickin' changes its color under sunlight and artificial light! And you probably wont meet anyone in your life who ever saw such a ring face-to-face. Oh, you quickly will see there are synthetics available. Which might be an option for some people. Anyway, the price varies dramatically with how dramatically the color-changing effect and clarity is.

http://www.alexandrite.net/assets/images/attachments/35237/alexandrite-guide-banner-colors.jpg

Well, being a geek, I like diamonds. Hardest stuff on earth, ridiculous heatconductance, and they look sparkly too.. heh

Ente
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:25:53 AM

So what ended up happening with this?
I see that bluenile still doesn't list BTC amongst their currencies... but did Roger end up buying his engagement ring with Bitcoins?

I just bought my engagement ring with Bitcoins Smiley
see here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176977.0

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 08:30:22 AM

So what ended up happening with this?
I see that bluenile still doesn't list BTC amongst their currencies... but did Roger end up buying his engagement ring with Bitcoins?

I just bought my engagement ring with Bitcoins Smiley
see here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176977.0

The smaller merchant I bought the ring from now accepts Bitcoins.
Perhaps I should circle back with Blue Nile and gently persuade them to add them as a method on their site.

Congratulations on your engagement Julz!

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:37:08 AM

The smaller merchant I bought the ring from now accepts Bitcoins.
Perhaps I should circle back with Blue Nile and gently persuade them to add them as a method on their site.

Congratulations on your engagement Julz!

Thanks roger! Congrats to you too Smiley

When I took my ring in for valuation here in Sydney, I mentioned that I would probably have bought from a local jeweller if they accepted Bitcoins.
The jeweller had heard of Bitcoin and was quite intrigued - asking me a few questions about it.
I don't think he's ready to accept BTC just yet - but you know, it helps to plant the seed Smiley

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
dino_saur

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 08:46:24 PM

Hi there,

I am not sure this was posted before but in any case with the fear that I might repeat just what somebody else said I wanted to know what are the implications of opening an exchange service for rare goods such as diamonds (note the market is different than gold or silver as it is not regulated by the same principles), prices are set differently (Rappaport & Diamond Council). Diamonds were always a good investment and will remain, it's just the do's and don'ts that might prevent such a service to open?

I can tell you none of the big brands are likely to accept btc very soon no matter the industry. Money is the primary means and would stay this way for a long time because of the nitty gritty world of banking/accountancy/ledger/AR/AP, international standards plus auditing. Most big retailers CEO's and money movers still see btc as a potential bubble.

Having said that, starting with local and small businesses is the key here, you get the market cap and support the system (as idea and the truth behind it) and then when a real stable and growing market is created for btc use, move to bigger fish.

In my own world I would like to open a "diamond for btc" service such as the gold/silver ones though operating like a store too (ex bluenile). Any idea if this can be done?

In the meantime, can someone tell me if there is a good marketplace that I can sell certified diamonds on for btc without a hassle?

Thanks and good luck!
Daniel  
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 11:14:25 PM

I will be getting married this year,  and will need to buy a diamond ring.
I've decided that this is a good opportunity to bring more companies on board with Bitcoin.

My fiancé agreed to allow me to buy the ring with Bitcoins, with the condition that I have it by the end of March April 2012.
That day is quickly approaching,  so I need the Bitcoin community's help to make this happen.

Bitcoins are a perfect fit for online retailers of Diamonds.
Diamonds are a commodity that can easily be resold,  and are not traceable, and are therefore a common target for thieves using stolen credit card numbers.
Bitcoin removes all of these risks.

My initial goal was to get www.bluenile.com to accept Bitcoins as payment directly on their website.
BlueNile.com is the worlds largest online diamond retailer.
They are a publicly traded company with annual revenue of around $350M USD.

In several emails with Blue Nile,  I have promised to buy a ring of at least $50,000 USD from them if they publicly accept Bitcoins on their website.
They have shown some interest,  but have not given any kind of firm commitment yet.

I'm hoping that with some additional interest from the Bitcoin community, we can convince them to accept Bitcoins directly on their website.

If you agree with this idea, please contact them to let them know you would also like them to accept Bitcoins as payment.
http://www.bluenile.com/contact-blue-nile

Your request will be even more influential if there is an actual product on their website that you promise to buy if they accept Bitcoin payments.

My original email to BlueNile can be found here:
http://pastebin.com/CBJvpDde

Lets make this happen!

exciting!

more or less retired.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: