Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:06:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay may begin accepting Bitcoin payments via its Braintree platform  (Read 2174 times)
maccd123 (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:08:31 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 10:21:08 AM by maccd123

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2465743/ebay-may-begin-accepting-bitcoin-payments-via-its-braintree-platform.html
Several large and notable companies have started accepting Bitcoin in recent months including Dell, Dish, Expedia, and Overstock. But the crypto-currency may be on the verge of snagging its biggest supporter yet: eBay.

The online commerce giant is reportedly in talks with Bitcoin transaction providers to allow Bitcoin payments on eBay-owned payment processor Braintree, according to The Wall Street Journal. Yes, in the coming months you may be able to pay for your Github subscription and Uber rides via Bitcoin.

Braintree, which eBay acquired last fall for $800 million, is the payment provider for many online companies, including Github and Uber, as well as Airbnb, Basecamp, Hotel Tonight, OpenTable, Stack Overflow, and Task Rabit.

It’s not clear which company Braintree might tap to handle its Bitcoin payments, but one firm under consideration is Coinbase, the Journal says. Coinbase clients include Dell, Dish, Expedia, Overstock, and Reddit. Google also relies on Coinbase for its Bitcoin currency price listing on Google search.

Ebay’s flirtation with Bitcoin would be solely centered on Braintree, but over time Bitcoin could come to eBay.com and PayPal, the Journal says. However, there’s no word on when Bitcoin might actually come to Braintree.

Despite its shady and volatile past, Bitcoin is slowly seeping into mainstream Internet usage as more companies sign on to accept the crypto-currency. But government agencies are taking a far more cautious approach to Bitcoin even as the market seeks to embrace it.

On Monday, the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau issued a consumer advisory that warns consumers to be cautious about buying up Bitcoin. “Virtual currencies are not backed by any government or central bank,” the CFPB advisory said. “And at this point consumers are stepping into the Wild West when they engage in the market.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rampton

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:14:38 AM

What's the source and I don't see anything that suggests ebay will other than assumption. It may accept it, but it may not.

leemar

Activity: 193

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:28:11 AM

What's the source and I don't see anything that suggests ebay will other than assumption. It may accept it, but it may not.

This Coindesk article clarifies quite a bit

http://www.coindesk.com/paypal-subsidiary-braintee-talks-coinbase-accept-bitcoin/
Fraxinus
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:29:53 AM

I hope ebay starts accepting bitcoin.That will be some really huge news and I can't think of the hype such a thing can create.
I really want this to happen.  Grin Grin Grin

Rampton

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:33:37 AM

This Coindesk article clarifies quite a bit

http://www.coindesk.com/paypal-subsidiary-braintee-talks-coinbase-accept-bitcoin/

I meant the source for this article, but I don't see anything suggesting ebay will.

a subsidiary of eBay and PayPal, is “in talks” with Coinbase and several other processing companies on the possibility of accepting bitcoin

A subsidary and keywords “in talks”, so nothing to get excited about yet.

Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:38:01 AM

After the success of Dell with bitcoin payments, I would be surprised if ebay, amazon and other big companies wouldn't start accepting btc any time soon.
Rampton

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:40:36 AM

After the success of Dell with bitcoin payments, I would be surprised if ebay, amazon and other big companies wouldn't start accepting btc any time soon.

But Bitcoin is a direct competitior to Paypal, infact it could have the potential to severly damage it once people see how cheap and safe it is to send bitcoins.

tooil

Activity: 181

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:26:24 AM

But Bitcoin is a direct competitior to Paypal, infact it could have the potential to severly damage it once people see how cheap and safe it is to send bitcoins.

They can still target elder and tech non-savy type to use paypal while letting those who are in the know to use bitcoin.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:36:22 AM

Yes it is, and thats exactly why im 100% sure bitcoin wont get implemented there.
We're on a good path with adoption, but hoping ebay will accept it is like hoping to win on a lottery.
Notice how the keyword is allways "may"
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:37:41 AM

If this does happen it will boast the price up no ends and we'll have a lot more people coming to Bitcoin unless ebay charge massive fees for purchasing in Bitcoin.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Frijj

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:42:11 AM

Seems like people are just trying to make news where there is none.
dandruff1138

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

1000% ROI Masternode Coin

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 03:46:41 PM

http://cointelegraph.com/news/112276/wsj-ebay-paypal-in-talks-with-coinbase

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████████▄
   ████████████████████████████████
  ██████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████
   ██████████████████████████████
    ▀████████████████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████████████▀
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)
███     WHITEPAPER      SLACK      ANN THREAD     ███
████     FACEBOOK      TWITTER      TELEGRAM     ████

▬▬▬  JOIN OUR ICO    From Nov 10th, 2017  ▬▬▬
annoyingorange

Activity: 72

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:47:24 AM

Let's set the network effect in motion for this. With mention of Uber and Airbnb as a part of Ebay's Braintree payment system, this is an epic move.
CokeCoin

Activity: 235

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:52:51 AM

Let's set the network effect in motion for this. With mention of Uber and Airbnb as a part of Ebay's Braintree payment system, this is an epic move.

Yes because network effects are as easy as pushing an oversized button on your betamax.
If it was an individual thing it wouldn't be an network effect would it?

TheTruth4

Activity: 108

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:00:33 AM

eBay owns another payment system besides PayPal? WTF is Braintree?
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:03:44 AM

Every business modeled on the old paradigm of money transfer will have to adequate its platform to what the market demands because of more accessible and convenient opportunities. Paypal can easily become an escrow or find a way to cover buyer interests. I am sure Paypal and other smart companies already know that they must not see Bitcoin as a threat but instead a way to expand their business in a different way and that innovation and changing is to be expected. Stagnation is not good for a company of that size.

eBay owns another payment system besides PayPal? WTF is Braintree?
Braintree is an app used to accept payments and transact online with mobile devices.
unexecuted

Activity: 175

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:06:40 AM

I think it's interesting how every time there is a negative movement in btc price there seems to be a large company coming out to accept it
CoolBliss

Activity: 97

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:14:21 AM

Let's get 100 more posts from 100 more "news outlets" on this. Super plus good
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:26:33 AM

They can still target elder and tech non-savy type to use paypal while letting those who are in the know to use bitcoin.
I have always considered people who use paypal to be somewhat tech savvy (at least I did when paypal first came out). You still need to be somewhat tech savvy to use paypal as there are few/no ways to talk to a live person to walk you through a transaction and you cannot discuss your account with a teller and/or conduct business with a teller; all of which the older population likes to do.

cozk

Activity: 812

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:33:08 AM

Stopped reading at ""may begin to accept''.

What a retarded and empty article.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: