Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:02:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What can I use Bitcoin miners for other than mining?  (Read 21360 times)
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 07:47:10 AM

Why does everyone keep saying heat when this thing will have you in a hospital by 2016... Trust me your bitcoins won't help then. I think everyone is trying to sell their miners right now honestly

Why would heat from a Bitcoin miner be dangerous. My undervolted S1s run at only 40C. That's less than laptops, playstations, etc. I've never heard any report that heat from computers can be dangerous.

Heat from computers or any electronic devices will not harm you.
But the chemicals released from these extremely heated electronic components are harmful inhalants.
This is a documented stuff and papers are available on the internet.
From normal electronic devices like television, refrigerators, etc they are very much negligible.

Incase of these mining hardwares, their build quality is too low due to low life expectancy.
But they are running at extreme conditions for mining so the chemicals silently released are multifold than the others.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krodmandoon

Activity: 434
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 07:29:03 PM

Step one: place miner on horizontal surface
Step two: call it art
Completion.

IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:09:35 PM

Why does everyone keep saying heat when this thing will have you in a hospital by 2016... Trust me your bitcoins won't help then. I think everyone is trying to sell their miners right now honestly

Why would heat from a Bitcoin miner be dangerous. My undervolted S1s run at only 40C. That's less than laptops, playstations, etc. I've never heard any report that heat from computers can be dangerous.

But the chemicals released from these extremely heated electronic components are harmful inhalants.
From normal electronic devices like television, refrigerators, etc they are very much negligible.

Incase of these mining hardwares, their build quality is too low due to low life expectancy.
But they are running at extreme conditions for mining so the chemicals silently released are multifold than the others.

Interesting,never really thought about the health effects. I'll have to look into this.  SO what you are saying is that anyone who has mining hardware regardless if its for mining or heat is putting their health at risk.  If the risk are serious, I guess there are going to be some very sick people in the near future.

Perhaps I'll move them out to the back shed if possible to take the edge off the cold.  Have to keep it heated slightly to keep the moisture down.  Or perhaps it's just time to let them die off before I do, LOL!
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 11:53:21 PM

*cough*bulshit*cough*

You have to set fire to electronic components to heat them up enough to release the chemicals inside them.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
mewhoyou

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 02:32:13 PM

I lock 4 S2 Antminer in 1 room and it became my dryer. I just hang anything i want in the room and it will be dried in few hours. In the meantime i get BTC!!

Ethereum the Next Big Thing?
IITravel01

Activity: 338

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 10:05:09 PM

It would be interesting to see someone place their miners touching their water pipes so you get warm water from your tap (kind of like a functional water cooling), while making money mining.  Especially during winter.
petersiddle98

Activity: 272

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 09:33:10 AM

I lock 4 S2 Antminer in 1 room and it became my dryer. I just hang anything i want in the room and it will be dried in few hours. In the meantime i get BTC!!

Bad idea, S2 antminer produce some metallic smell which might be bad for you..

allcoinminer

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 01:31:52 PM

Just spray some perfumes to remove that metallic smell in clothes.
I tried drying clothes like that and no such smell.
My drying room was not closed but, air circulated from one side through the devices and exit through the the other side.
fewcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 02:13:59 PM

You guys don't understand that these machines are built in China & the radiation etc is not regulated... I bought a radiation tester and found my rooms were now "extremely high" in radiation & I've now stopped mining in my house completely. A few dollars a day is not worth my health!
allcoinminer

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 02:21:26 PM

You guys don't understand that these machines are built in China & the radiation etc is not regulated... I bought a radiation tester and found my rooms were now "extremely high" in radiation & I've now stopped mining in my house completely. A few dollars a day is not worth my health!

That's exactly true. Chinese unbranded(major) products are unsafe to use.
SatishMotaNaak1

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 02:21:35 PM

Hulk Smash it
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 03:32:59 PM

Hulk Smash it

That's actually another way of looking at it.  If it's like 1st generation ASIC or FPGA old, you can't sell it on eBay or otherwise, and your electrical costs are sky high, then there's an out right there.

It'd be a good stress release, just make sure you toss the remains in a dumpster after.   Tongue

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
big kid

Activity: 324
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:27:02 PM

If this is the case with miners, then all these warehouses where the manufacturers are setting up data centres with thousand of these things running 24/7 are all gonna be no go radiactive wastelands soon then??
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:30:28 PM

Space Heaters for your home.
skeeterskeeter

Activity: 160

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 05:19:09 PM

Space Heaters for your home.

Here is a thread I started a while ago seeing if it would be feasible to heat your house with GPU's. To see if the heat created and coins generated could outweigh the cost of heating a home normally.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=320984

Anyone want to convert the math for the current bitcoin ASIC's see how many you might need to fully heat a house?
luckypyrate

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 05:12:28 AM

The heat from the 4 S3s and three S1's I run next to my armoire melt the candles I had about 5 feet above the miners and off to the right.  My wife turns the air off at night even though I told her not too and now she hates me for killing her candles... Cheesy

Life is too serious to be taken seriously
TheDragonSlayer

Activity: 273

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 02:17:22 PM

The heat from the 4 S3s and three S1's I run next to my armoire melt the candles I had about 5 feet above the miners and off to the right.  My wife turns the air off at night even though I told her not too and now she hates me for killing her candles... Cheesy

Well, you need to have better ventilation.

Phyzic

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 04:17:04 PM

If you don't need your Bitcoin Miner, you can sell it for a better price.
Something is better than nothing actually.
Kimowa

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 12:28:10 AM

If you don't need your Bitcoin Miner, you can sell it for a better price.
Something is better than nothing actually.

Agree, the price on ebay is ridiculously higher then market price for some reason.

1echo

Activity: 280

scams hunter!

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:23:29 AM

i heat home in winter with them

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: