Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:47:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin already IS mainstream  (Read 2927 times)
Sevvero (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:42:38 PM

To all those who are waiting for Bitcoin to "go mainstream" - stop waiting, it already is.

Most educated people by now have heard of Bitcoin.

Bitcoin has been featured on most news sites and most popular TV news casts. It has been featured in CNN, BBC, CNBC, Fox News, Marketwatch, Forbes, Financial Times and many more resources. There have been several viral stories and old people have been spotted buying bitcoins at ATM's.

Bitcoin is mainstream.

Why hasn't it gone to the moon yet then?

Easy answer. Because people CHOSE not to use it.

Most people HAVE HEARD about Bitcoin and consciously decided that they WILL NOT USE IT.

Facts:

- Most people are not tech savvy enough to use Bitcoin
- Bitcoin client is cumbersone to use
- There have been many reports of how hard it is to secure Bitcoin especially for technically challenged people
- Bitcoin is not user friendly
- Bitcoin is unsecure and easy to steal if you aren't careful
- Old money/baby boomers are too senile to understand Bitcoin (hence the comments from Charlie Munger of Bitcoin being rat poison)

Why I am still pro Bitcoin and think it will raise in 5-20 years (after 20-30 years we might be getting AI which will change everything and possibly Bitcoin system will be depreciated):
- The protocol has ONLY ONE fault, the 51% attack, which does not destroy Bitcoin only harms it and has little chance of being used.
- Protocol is solid, has intrinsic value, is unique, is comparable to early e-mail
- Bitcoin has intrinsic value for money laundering, black markets and other mostly grey economy related fields
- There is a high chance of some companies coming up with clients that would be noob/average people friendly.

I think that Bitcoin is a fun little gamble that can pay off massively.

It will never go to literal 0, but it can drop a lot naturally.

By the way, if you have invested more than a little portion of your savings and your life depends on Bitcoin, then you are an idiot of extreme proportions and deserve to lose it all.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:45:19 PM

It is not mainstream.

Mainstream means widely-adopted. Bitcoin is not widely-adopted at all.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
falllling

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:47:27 PM

Most people HAVE HEARD about Bitcoin and consciously decided that they WILL NOT USE IT.

correct

Why I am still pro Bitcoin and think it will raise in 5-20 years (after 20-30 years we might be getting AI which will change everything and possibly Bitcoin system will be depreciated):

doubt it, i don't think bitcoin can survive this year, it's final capitulation incoming!
Sevvero (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:48:58 PM

correct

doubt it, i don't think bitcoin can survive this year, the final capitulation incoming!
I would literally hit your face in the brick if I met you in real life. You are so stupid, it's like you're some kind of a bot or parrot. You cannot answer any questions given to you. I'd do the same if you were claiming it will go to the moon. And your Indian Engrish pisses me off even more. Fuck, why are people so fucking retarded these days.

It is not mainstream.

Mainstream means widely-adopted. Bitcoin is not widely-adopted at all.

Mainstream can also mean that it's relatively heard of and popular. It is quite popular in news, marketwatch often has articles on it, so do other financial magazines. In the financial world, Bitcoin IS mainstream. It's just not being actually BOUGHT and USED.
falllling

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:51:39 PM

correct

doubt it, i don't think bitcoin can survive this year, the final capitulation incoming!
I would literally hit your face in the brick if I met you in real life. You are so stupid, it's like you're some kind of a bot or parrot. You cannot answer any questions given to you. I'd do the same if you were claiming it will go to the moon. And your Indian Engrish pisses me off even more. Fuck, why are people so fucking retarded these days.

i don't care what you feel, you can't change the fact of the downfall of bitcoin, what questions did you send me?
Sevvero (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:52:23 PM

correct

i don't care what you feel, you can't change the fact of the downfall of bitcoin, what questions did you send me?
There is no Bitcoin downfall, I remember when it was still sub $30, now it's $449.
falllling

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:59:31 PM

correct

There is no Bitcoin downfall, I remember when it was still sub $30, now it's $449.

how about this? got a better one for you:
few weeks later you can say: "There is no Bitcoin downfall, I remember when it was still sub $0.00001 or totally free, now it's $0.001 or at least 10k bitcoins worth a pizza?"
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:02:16 PM

Mainstream can also mean that it's relatively heard of and popular. It is quite popular in news, marketwatch often has articles on it, so do other financial magazines. In the financial world, Bitcoin IS mainstream. It's just not being actually BOUGHT and USED.

No, because the purpose of Bitcoin is to be used as a currency. We are at a tiny fraction of what is theoretically possible in this regard. So when we are talking about the actual purpose of Bitcoin, we certainly cannot say that Bitcoin has gone mainstream.

Regarding what you say in the OP, I actually think the fact that people are so slow to choose to use Bitcoin because of the myriad reasons you cite is not a problem at all. This has been the fact since day 1, and it is what contributes to the way the boom/bust cycles work. Nothing has changed in this respect... which to me is bullish (dare I say it).

Just because lots of people have heard of something doesn't make it mainstream. The old Native South American practice of shrinking heads is widely-known about, but it isn't mainstream. Although perhaps we should adopt the practice on Bitcointalk!  Cheesy

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
maker88

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:28:41 PM

correct

+1
twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:58:27 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2014, 04:56:59 PM by twiifm

When price was 1200 everyone knew about it.  Even my 75 year old father heard about it and asked me if its a good investment cause he heard it frim obscure radio show.  I said HELL NO.  Glad I talked him out of that

Trust me everyone knows about it and nobody cares.

I downloaded a wallet  to play around. Such PITA to use and I'm a geek.  Its like expecting normal people make torrenting mainstream when they rather use Netflix
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:04:04 PM

It's a currency that needs a market. I mean, if you don't live in Europe, you don't use Euros. Of course, you will say that Bitcoin is universal, but most countries do not accept USD as payment, except when you trade them at the bank or a local money changer.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:14:32 PM

No, it is not. It is rather inconvenient to use yet to be mainstream. People hear about it and don't use it not because the idea is flawed, but because most people are lazy/stupid. Once bitcoin is easier to obtain, handle and spend for a common person, the adoption will come - because it is a better form of money.

If you compare bitcoin to the internet, we are in 1994 or so. A solid protocol (tcp/ip) is working for many years already, there are several cumbersome interfaces to it that only geeks use, most people heard about it but less than 1% used it, and alot of startups are developing tools and services for it. Wait for a year 2000, which in bitcoin world would come much faster than in 6 years (since there is direct financial incentive which was very indirect in the tcp/ip case), and see then what mainstream for bitcoin really is.

i am satoshi
njcarlos

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:51:51 PM

I agree with most of the sentiment of OP and some other intelligent contributors in the thread. It's not "mainstream" in the sense of adoption, but I agree it is "mainstream" in terms of awareness. The important part of our populace in the U.S. and developed economies have heard of Bitcoin, yes. I agree with piramida that their decision to remain on the sidelines is, in part, due to laziness or an unwillingness to "dig deeper" and understand the technology. I also believe that, in part, it's just the natural risk aversion of the average individual. It also has limited utility (right now). There are only a relative handful of places to spend your money.

Of course the technology is sound, though no perfect. There is utility, even if it were marginalized to the black market and underworld, so it will retain some degree of value (~$50-100 at that point, imo). But the real mainstream adoption will only take place once early adopters have tested the waters to the extent that a viable ecosystem is established, maintained, and growing (or not having massive bubbles) at some healthy annual rate. Once that happens, most individuals will forgo the thoughts of "is this a ponzi scheme" and will seek out the most user-friendly approach to adoption, without understanding it. They will have simply come to believe "it just works."

I believe everyone here, and everyone that uses it within the next 3-4 years will be considered early adopters and we will be the evangelists for what BTC is capable of producing. If you're in it to get rich, I hope you're willing to wait another 5 years, at a minimum.

Will we go lower? Almost certainly. I believe the true valuation of 1 BTC is roughly around $300 USD. That said, it's obvious I'm bearish right now, but I'm bullish on the long term future.
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:03:48 PM

All your contra-points boil down to it being not user-friendly or being easy to use. I agree. That needs to change, but who says that this won't actually change? HTTP isn't user friendly, as well. Yet everyone uses it every single day - most of the people don't even know they are!
Your positive points boil down to the fact that it may work and that it is a speculative asset. I also agree. That mere fact may be enough to keep people interested. And that's also what makes me stay optimistic - in some way, because regular stocks don't offer anything, yet they're traded for their potential profit. Bitcoin offers even more, on top of that.

p.s.: The 51% thing isn't only a disadvantage or problem, it's actually the foundation of finding a consensus in Bitcoin! Which is remarkable!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
njcarlos

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:14:08 PM

A bit of an off topic question, but what is the plan for handling the blockchain size issue?
dompsairs

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:29:32 PM

Lol at these butthurt boatmissers wanting BTC to crash to enjoy other people's suffering.
News just in: It will not crash and you will self hate yourself for not taking advantage of another opportunity to get cheap coins. Enjoy.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:32:46 PM

There is a foooking gargantuan gap between hearing the word and understanding what it actually entails.
antibitcoinconsortium

Activity: 73

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:34:45 PM

Lol at these butthurt boatmissers wanting BTC to crash to enjoy other people's suffering.
News just in: It will not crash and you will self hate yourself for not taking advantage of another opportunity to get cheap coins. Enjoy.

Stop telling people to buy into a failing system for your own profit!

We crashed 26% in the past 30 days, sure go on keep on saying it's not crashing, more drop every day, and faster every day!

The system is rigged and falling apart right now, GET OUT.
raid_n

Activity: 269

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:35:14 PM

I really don't believe in the "it's too complicated to use" argument.

Could it be more convenient? of course!

You make it sound like everyone has to compile bitcoin-qt and/or use bitcoind from the command line.
My netbanking experiences so far have all been complicated up to a point where I would call them equally difficult to handling bitcoin.

The reality is that bitcoin is still highly speculative and this gives it the aftertaste of a pyramid scheme, especially if people do not care about how bitcoin works form a technical standpoint.
People mostly hear of bitcoin when it bubbles or crashes. The media is not exactly motivated to cover the "dull" topic of what bitcoin can offer from a technical standpoint.

Either way a majority of the convenience use cases are actually just companies implementing payment systems on top of the technology.
The whole concept of one-click purchases etc. is to reduce the effort a customer has to make when buying something.
Regardless of credit cards or bitcoin you can bet your hat on the fact that large companies will implement payments in a way where
you just "give them" your details once and they do the rest.

Bitcoin is in no way mainstream because the concept has not reached people's minds yet.

The possibilities seem endless when anyone and everyone (also things!) in the digital space is given the ability to send and receive value.

It really hit me when I wrote down a private key on a piece of paper and sent funds to it.
The reality that that mundane piece of paper is now storing additional real value is simply amazing.
howaboutya

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:39:26 PM

Bitcoin will be mainstream when most of the people we know will start to use it, at the moment the adoption is far away to be completed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: