Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:20:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sideways!  (Read 2148 times)
AndDuffy (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:20:52 PM

I may be wrong, but I thought I'd throw this out there. The general mood of this board is that we're in for a rise in price. I feel this way too, I think that the trend is up considering how much more exposure bitcoin is getting (look at the Bitcoin subreddit).

However, with the economy growing, I think that we'll only see less volatility. Remember, stabilization is our long-term goal. Sure, we'll always see price fluctuations, but I think we may be closer to stabilization than I previously thought. What are your thoughts on this? How close are we to being relatively stable?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:26:46 PM

Relevant: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68239.msg795648#msg795648

No. Bitcoin is not stabilizing. It may be less volatile for a while, but that’s because it’s preparing to break out in a huge wave (and personally I suspect up) once enough people think Bitcoin is "stable".
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:43:35 PM

No. Bitcoin is not stabilizing. It may be less volatile for a while, but that’s because it’s preparing to break out in a huge wave (and personally I suspect up) once enough people think Bitcoin is "stable".

This.  If enough people sincerely believe bitcoin is stable, and, on that basis, decide to start using it, then demand for the currency will go up, and I suspect it will kick off another large bubble; and the longer this "stability" lasts, the larger I think the subsequent bubble will be.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 04:58:05 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2012, 05:08:49 PM by adamstgBit

This.  If enough people sincerely believe bitcoin is stable, and, on that basis, decide to start using it, then demand for the currency will go up, and I suspect it will kick off another large bubble; and the longer this "stability" lasts, the larger I think the subsequent bubble will be.

agreed,

and its slowly happening

i ran a poll, and about 50 users will be selling / buying diablo3 items (in May when it comes out) this will lead to many new bitcoin users actually using bitcoin for trading.

bitcoin is perfect for diablo3, because  Ebay hates selling this kind of virtual item

and its true you will be able to sell your stuff for real money with the in game auction house. but NOT for hardcore mode (the mode where, when you die you lose everything), blizzard will not have auction house for this hardcore mode. so now we NEED to use bitcoin.

I'm hoping diablo3 & bitcoin will create a BUZZ in the MMORPG world, and one day we will see the first MMORPG using bitcoin in game

Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 05:10:57 PM

This.  If enough people sincerely believe bitcoin is stable, and, on that basis, decide to start using it, then demand for the currency will go up, and I suspect it will kick off another large bubble; and the longer this "stability" lasts, the larger I think the subsequent bubble will be.

I absolutely agree Smiley So get your coinz while they're cheap  Grin

BTW Are you short again Proudhon ?

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 05:11:47 PM

BTW Are you short again Proudhon ?

Nope.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 08:47:15 PM

I think bitcoin is stable forever, lets celebrate!

guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 09:39:57 PM

Stability is relative. I've been hoping for more volatility as a speculator - these sideways ranges we get into for several days at a crack are tough to make money in!

As I saw someone else point out, most people aren't used to having to account for fluctuations in exchange rates to do business. Right now, everyone has to convert their BTC to purchase supplies & services to run their businesses. If more business was able to conduct their back-end business (the b2b part) via bitcoin, rather than just the customer facing side of the business, "stability" would be perceived. We view our "home currency" as the one that's "stable" but, in reality, this is rarely the case. My "home currency" the USD has been on the rise lately, even against gold, but making USD-USD transactions, I don't really notice, I only notice over time due to inflation or deflation.

It's also my opinion that we're likely to see continued volatility (primarily due to low volume/liquidity) for most of the rest of the year. Speculation based on FPGA purchases and the block reward decrease will likely bring a significant push to the upside.

I'm of a mind that the addition of various derivatives and increased interest in the GLBSE will detract from the overall volatility. The growing prevalence of purchased mining contracts also suggests lessening in overall volatility, since this will help to limit the upside of mining (overall) as well as limit the downside potential.

However.....the biggest thing to consider, I think, in the long term: what is the overall potential market penetration of bitcoin? We're at a market cap of ~$40M, with some part of 50K users on this forum representing the core of the market. Market penetration is slight, at best. Even if we were to count the market cap by using all of the future bitcoins, we're still at a very very small number, compared to typical multi-national organizations. Several orders of magnitude smaller. In reality, this suggests that the $30 bubble last summer would represent a very small bump in the rise of BTC value.

It's not clear that bitcoin will become "the people's currency" - there is some speculation that it could replace the interbank system (i.e. replace SWIFT notes, SDRs and the like) while others speculate that it's the new Visa of the future. Until this is known, it seems that relative stability in the exchange rate will be hard to achieve. Again, either way, market penetration is slight at best.

Yep. Volatile, and lots and lots of long term upside. I'm expecting that it won't be all that long before the most commonly used denomination is the centibit (bitcent) as a single bitcoin is too large a denomination. I wouldn't be surprised to see USD$1 = mBTC 1 - In fact, I think a lot of people here wouldn't be surprised to see that. And, looking around at past history of internet companies, comparing BTC to internet stocks, the potential for that kind of growth is definitely there for bitcoin.

In the meantime, I'd sure like to see $4.90 Grin

But, while i wrote this, everyone decided to SELL SELL SELL - and I must look to see if there's a nice entry forming Cheesy

notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:18:52 PM

My bot loves sideways!  > 1% in less than a week makes me happy Smiley

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:21:31 PM

But, while i wrote this, everyone decided to SELL SELL SELL - and I must look to see if there's a nice entry forming Cheesy

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
guruvan

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:42:38 PM

Your bot sounds pretty interesting. He doesn't brag too loud, but sounds successful.

I'd love to have a bitcoinica bot.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 12:45:40 AM

Your bot sounds pretty interesting. He doesn't brag too loud, but sounds successful.

He's successful when we go sideways.  He could be successful on bigger moves too if I had more funds, but if he runs out of funds in one direction he's not so happy.

Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2012, 01:26:14 AM

He's successful when we go sideways.  He could be successful on bigger moves too if I had more funds, but if he runs out of funds in one direction he's not so happy.

Is your bot the one placing small but frequent trades of around 0.02btc? I've noticed one bot do this in what looks like a grid trading strategy.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 01:52:11 AM

lol, people aren't as ambitious anymore

(BFL)^2 < 0
guruvan

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 03:54:35 AM

lol, people aren't as ambitious anymore

lol. the faster they climb, the harder it hurts when they fall. My money was on the tortoise.  Wink

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 04:12:17 AM

Is your bot the one placing small but frequent trades of around 0.02btc? I've noticed one bot do this in what looks like a grid trading strategy.

Nope.  There are lots of bots.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2012, 05:09:34 AM

As I saw someone else point out, most people aren't used to having to account for fluctuations in exchange rates to do business. Right now, everyone has to convert their BTC to purchase supplies & services to run their businesses. If more business was able to conduct their back-end business (the b2b part) via bitcoin, rather than just the customer facing side of the business, "stability" would be perceived.

Seals accounting is bitcoin based. We have no ongoing dollar costs and just buy some when we need to pay for work from someone who doesn't want coin. It's happened twice. Promos, ads, server all bitcoin payments. 2 of the 3 are even denominated in coin.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
guruvan

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 06:08:49 AM

the further we go down this road, the more I expect your model to be more the norm, especially for those providing online services, or virtual goods.

If if could pay employees in BTC I'm sure i could run an online service with very little currency other than bitcoin. This is becoming more common. In my contract work I currently offer a steep discount to my hourly rate if I'm paid in coin.

conversion is going to be an issue for hard goods for some time. paying my light bill in coin will be a way off. But I can pay my phone bills w/coin. I can pay for hosting/VPS service w/coin.

Of course, the rule is that people save "good" money, and spend "bad" money, so as a business owner, I prefer to have dual currency accounting, and receive payment in BTC, and make payment in USD (or better yet, EUR or GBP!)

IIRC I tried to go to Seals. I think I will have to (ahem) go on a trip abroad, and then try again. (I've been to others but they just absorbed my BTC with no fun, or drinks!)

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2012, 07:28:17 AM

Of course, the rule is that people save "good" money, and spend "bad" money, so as a business owner, I prefer to have dual currency accounting, and receive payment in BTC, and make payment in USD (or better yet, EUR or GBP!)

Yes, running a business can be a way to convert some USD and labor to many coins. Funny looking model to authorities also.

IIRC I tried to go to Seals. I think I will have to (ahem) go on a trip abroad, and then try again. (I've been to others but they just absorbed my BTC with no fun, or drinks!)

I don't quite follow. You can play at Seals from anywhere. sealswithclubs.eu

edit: and you can have fun for cheap or free if you like. Freerolls on the hour, cheap tourney with extra added on the half.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
guruvan

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 07:32:19 AM

I don't quite follow. You can play at Seals from anywhere. sealswithclubs.eu

edit: and you can have fun for cheap or free if you like. Freerolls on the hour, cheap tourney with extra added on the half.

I thought I went to there and was denied because I was in the US (I looked through several one day and I thought that was Seals)

Philj

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 10:43:13 AM

i ran a poll, and about 50 users will be selling / buying diablo3 items (in May when it comes out) this will lead to many new bitcoin users actually using bitcoin for trading.

bitcoin is perfect for diablo3, because  Ebay hates selling this kind of virtual item

and its true you will be able to sell your stuff for real money with the in game auction house. but NOT for hardcore mode (the mode where, when you die you lose everything), blizzard will not have auction house for this hardcore mode. so now we NEED to use bitcoin.

I'm hoping diablo3 & bitcoin will create a BUZZ in the MMORPG world, and one day we will see the first MMORPG using bitcoin in game

+1

As a community, we need to make the Diablo community aware of the benefits of bitcoin, and of sites like ogrr.com that allow trading in game items for BTC. This will bring bitcoin 1 more step into the light.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: