Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:23:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Turn off your rig - Earth Hour, March 31st 2012 20.30-21.30 (your local time)  (Read 2576 times)
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 02:28:40 PM

Earth Hour on Saturday, March 31st 2012
As many of you might be aware that the world is celebrating  Earth Hour on Saturday, March 31st 2012... On this day over 2 billion people from all around
the world will switch off lights at their homes and work places for one hour ie 8:30 PM -9:30 PM Local Time to show their support for the cause of Climate
change.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Astronomy_Activities_2009/message/7361

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 02:38:36 PM

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 04:18:53 PM

That makes no sense, EskimoBob.

If you think you shouldn't mine because it's bad for the environment, just permanently turn off your rig. If you don't think it's a problem, keep your rig running through that hour.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 04:40:59 PM

I will shut my rigs down for an hour today......................so I can upgrade my network equipment and add more rigs!!! Grin

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 04:45:31 PM

This is stupid, purely symbolic and wasteful of our natural recourses.  Power plants cannot be turned off for one hour and they will not be turned off since the operators know full well that consumption will pick right back up again after the wasteful symbolic hour.  During the hour of reduced consumption all the excess production is simply wasted.  Typical of this kind of idea - does exactly the opposite of what it is supposedly trying to do.

What I plan to do during this hour:  I will raise my clock rates, fire up additional AC and fire up all my spare cards at full capacity.

This is the most environmentally sound response to this stupid idea as it will utilize energy that would have otherwise been totally wasted.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 04:53:02 PM

As many of you might be aware that the world is celebrating  Earth Hour on Saturday, March 31st 2012... On this day over 2 billion people from all around
the world will switch off lights at their homes and work places for one hour ie 8:30 PM -9:30 PM Local Time to show their support for the cause of Climate
change.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:03:09 PM

change.

They actually tallied over 2 billion slips to confirm that number? Or is it just as much of a thumb suck as this whole idea.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:27:29 PM

Interesting how this is worded... "to show support for the cause of Climate change..."

Given that climate change is a completely natural cyclic state for our planet, and that artificially reducing our consumption of energy for 60 minutes would have a net zero effect on the planet, perhaps joining in this silly movement DOES support climate change. A lot of hot air being vented in support of a meaningless gesture.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:35:14 PM

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Words to live by.
opticbit

Activity: 695

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 06:29:07 PM

please spread this...  I can only do a couple mhash, Hopefully I have a chance at a bigger share of the blocks for today.

now if we could do a earth week, and drop the difficulty down...

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 06:47:33 PM

If you think you shouldn't mine because it's bad for the environment, just permanently turn off your rig. If you don't think it's a problem, keep your rig running through that hour.

LOL! No need to get your panties in a bunch Smiley

Ribuck, I turned my rig off long long time ago because it is pointless to mine at higher price per share than the market.

BurtWagner, because all the power lines terminate at time zone "borders"? Smiley Wow... good one!

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Electricbees

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 07:32:26 PM

BurtWagner, because all the power lines terminate at time zone "borders"? Smiley Wow... good one!

So, like, 2 hours of average electrical down time? 3?

Do they shut nuclear reactors and coal plants down for three hours at a time, guys?
How about hydroelectric/wind/solar?

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 07:45:23 PM

Why don't you use this hour to create cleaner energy sources? 2 billions person working for one hour makes 2 billions hours worked on the same problem. I'm pretty sure somebody could develop something useful.

Where are our roof mades of solar panels? The small local dam for hydro-electricity? Affordable windmill* that we can use on our rooftops?

*I'm not sure of the exact term, in French it's éolienne, the thing that spin with wind and make electricity Cheesy
Clipse

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 01:30:45 AM

Why don't you use this hour to create cleaner energy sources? 2 billions person working for one hour makes 2 billions hours worked on the same problem. I'm pretty sure somebody could develop something useful.

Where are our roof mades of solar panels? The small local dam for hydro-electricity? Affordable windmill* that we can use on our rooftops?

*I'm not sure of the exact term, in French it's éolienne, the thing that spin with wind and make electricity Cheesy

I think 1.99billion of those mentioned cant afford power anyways so they were included in the numbers. heh.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
drakahn

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 01:44:06 AM

LOL! No need to get your panties in a bunch Smiley

Ribuck, I turned my rig off long long time ago because it is pointless to mine at higher price per share than the market.

Pointless to mine? so you just instantly sell any coin you have?

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 11:29:25 AM

Power plants cannot be turned off for one hour and they will not be turned off since the operators know full well that consumption will pick right back up again after the wasteful symbolic hour.
Coal-burning power stations can't be turned off for just one hour, because they take time to get back up to operating temperature.

But hydroelectric and nuclear power stations can easily and efficiently be turned off for an hour (or, in most cases, even for just one minute).
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 11:44:08 AM
Last edit: April 01, 2012, 12:12:45 PM by vampire

Power plants cannot be turned off for one hour and they will not be turned off since the operators know full well that consumption will pick right back up again after the wasteful symbolic hour.
Coal-burning power stations can't be turned off for just one hour, because they take time to get back up to operating temperature.

But hydroelectric and nuclear power stations can easily and efficiently be turned off for an hour (or, in most cases, even for just one minute).

Huh how da hell you shutdown a nuclear reactor for an hour? Decay will be for days.

And restart is a slow process...
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2012, 01:54:15 PM

Today I am meeting with a buddy that actually runs a few plants - I will ask him.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 05:09:27 PM

Huh how da hell you shutdown a nuclear reactor for an hour?
Lower the graphite control rods into the core. The reaction goes subcritical immediately. Nothing tricky here; this is high school physics.

Nuclear power stations are routinely used to handle the peaks in electricity demand, while coal-burning power stations handle the baseline load.
splatster

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 05:15:52 PM

This is stupid, purely symbolic and wasteful of our natural recourses.  Power plants cannot be turned off for one hour and they will not be turned off since the operators know full well that consumption will pick right back up again after the wasteful symbolic hour.  During the hour of reduced consumption all the excess production is simply wasted.  Typical of this kind of idea - does exactly the opposite of what it is supposedly trying to do.

What I plan to do during this hour:  I will raise my clock rates, fire up additional AC and fire up all my spare cards at full capacity.

This is the most environmentally sound response to this stupid idea as it will utilize energy that would have otherwise been totally wasted.

Once again you have summed it up perfectly.  Earth hour is pointless and doesn't actually do anything good for the environment.  Period.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: