Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:52:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoins For Charity Launched Today!  (Read 1591 times)
laydum (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:03:21 AM

I would like to announce the launch of my very own website aimed at helping the less fortunate. What is it you ask? I have set up multiple addresses for different charities. When you donate to one the BitCoins are received, traded for USD, and then donated to the charity to which they were sent. I will be working on the site as we go so expect it to only get better and grow as a community.

I DO NOT make profit off of this site. You can currently donate to the growth of the site under the 'Get Involved' tab. This will go towards buying a domain name, upgrading the bandwidth, getting our own emails, etc. 

The link is here: http://bitcoinsforcharity.webs.com/

The top 5 contributors will be listed as well. If you would like your name included with your address either PM me on here or on the website.

I hope you enjoy and leave feedback! I will continue to work on the site and help it grow. If you have any spare BTC lying around collecting dust please donate it to the less fortunate. Some if these people/animals aren't as lucky as we are and grow up not knowing what its like to have good health, money, loved ones, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
laydum (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:19:20 AM

Like us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/BitCoins-For-Charity/208842702469194

Insuremeplz

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 07:06:43 AM

How would someone verify if the money is actually forwarded on to the charities?

Don't you think it would be more beneficial to the community to work on getting these charities to accept BTC directly, rather than converting the $ for them to USD?
laydum (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 07:08:44 AM

How would someone verify if the money is actually forwarded on to the charities?

Don't you think it would be more beneficial to the community to work on getting these charities to accept BTC directly, rather than converting the $ for them to USD?
I plan on doing that as we grow larger. I will be posting proof at the end of the month once all of the bitcoins are donated
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 07:10:24 AM

I would like to announce the launch of my very own website aimed at helping the less fortunate. What is it you ask? I have set up multiple addresses for different charities. When you donate to one the BitCoins are received, traded for USD, and then donated to the charity to which they were sent. I will be working on the site as we go so expect it to only get better and grow as a community.

I DO NOT make profit off of this site. You can currently donate to the growth of the site under the 'Get Involved' tab. This will go towards buying a domain name, upgrading the bandwidth, getting our own emails, etc. 

The top 5 contributors will be listed as well. If you would like your name included with your address either PM me on here or on the website.

I hope you enjoy and leave feedback! I will continue to work on the site and help it grow. If you have any spare BTC lying around collecting dust please donate it to the less fortunate. Some if these people/animals aren't as lucky as we are and grow up not knowing what its like to have good health, money, loved ones, etc.

Good luck!

I doubt many of the members on bitcoin.org donate much money to causes that don't guarantee 90%+ payout rates, are legally registered as a not for profit company, etc... I for one always ask for those credentials before shelling out any cash.

I have some questions for you...

How are you going to prove that payments I make to you were made to the charities? How long will it take for my money to get from your bitcoin account to the charity's bank account?

How much of a "fee" will you be taking in exchange for being so generous in making our donations for us? Or if you will not be accepting a fee, which currency exchange will you use to convert the money and how much will they and your bank charge to turn it into cash?

What experience do you have running a charitable organization? How many years have you worked for a charity? Which one did you work for?

Most people donate significant money to a charity in order to get a tax break, so I doubt many people would be up to making anonymous donations, unless it's for wikileaks or something similar.

Please excuse me for being skeptical, but I am sure you can understand.
gigabytecoin

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 07:11:19 AM

I for one think this is a much better idea.

Charities are always looking for a way to accept more money, I doubt we'd be pulling any teeth there!
gigabytecoin

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 07:13:10 AM

And lastly... I just noticed your marijuana laden gravatar...

The last time I lent some money to a stoner... well, I basically gave it to him I suppose, because he didn't remember receiving it apparently!

(You might want to up your professionalism if you expect people to hand you their hard earned bitcoins) Wink

Edit: I personally have no problem with marijuana. I know it can be used quite effectively for a variety of medical conditions. But I also know that there is a horrible stigma associated with marijuana in this world, and I would not be happy if I walked into my bank and witnessed my mortgage broker puffing on a joint is all.
laydum (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 07:22:27 AM

Good luck!

I doubt many of the members on bitcoin.org donate much money to causes that don't guarantee 90%+ payout rates, are legally registered as a not for profit company, etc... I for one always ask for those credentials before shelling out any cash.

I have some questions for you...

How are you going to prove that payments I make to you were made to the charities? How long will it take for my money to get from your bitcoin account to the charity's bank account?

How much of a "fee" will you be taking in exchange for being so generous in making our donations for us? Or if you will not be accepting a fee, which currency exchange will you use to convert the money and how much will they and your bank charge to turn it into cash?

What experience do you have running a charitable organization? How many years have you worked for a charity? Which one did you work for?

Most people donate significant money to a charity in order to get a tax break, so I doubt many people would be up to making anonymous donations, unless it's for wikileaks or something similar.

Please excuse me for being skeptical, but I am sure you can understand.

I'm not taking any cut. Only like 2% to get a domain name then that's it. I will be making all payout on the 30th of the month. I will provide proof by showing records of the transactions.

I'm looking into a trusted website to exchange them.

The only charity I've raised money for is Peta2 (embarrassing i know) but I'm an active member on SocialVibe (google it) and i've earned lots and lots of money for charity on there. I can link an account if youd like

laydum (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 07:26:09 AM

The last time I lent some money to a stoner... well, I basically gave it to him I suppose, because he didn't remember receiving it apparently!

(You might want to up your professionalism if you expect people to hand you their hard earned bitcoins) Wink

Edit: I personally have no problem with marijuana. I know it can be used quite effectively for a variety of medical conditions. But I also know that there is a horrible stigma associated with marijuana in this world, and I would not be happy if I walked into my bank and witnessed my mortgage broker puffing on a joint is all.

Well I kept the website professional. Just cause I use medical marijuana doesn't really mean anything. I use it cause I used to have seizures. People can hate if they want I guess
citizen

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 09:11:47 AM

I've thought of this before.  Another way it could be done is Bitcoins could be donated to the charity (or a dedicated receiving address for the charity run by a trusted party).  Then someone who is feeling charitable could donate USD/etc to the charity in an amount to cover the coins at market value.  When the charity confirms receipt of the donations, the coins could be handed over to person who donated USD/etc to the charity.

A good way to do this would be to find a worthwhile charity that Bitcoin users would be likely to support.  Get them to agree to this fundraiser, and then we can all chip in a little something.  It would be great for the charity, and good for Bitcoin as well.  A way for Bitcoin users to "give back."

Smiley
lach

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 09:30:07 AM

It would be politically prudent to put large sums of bitcoins into the charitable sector. Any attempt to undermine the value of bitcoins by governments would therefore also be seen as attacking the endowment of charities
deMangler

Activity: 29

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 09:39:03 AM

I've thought of this before.  Another way it could be done is Bitcoins could be donated to the charity (or a dedicated receiving address for the charity run by a trusted party).  Then someone who is feeling charitable could donate USD/etc to the charity in an amount to cover the coins at market value.  When the charity confirms receipt of the donations, the coins could be handed over to person who donated USD/etc to the charity.

A good way to do this would be to find a worthwhile charity that Bitcoin users would be likely to support.  Get them to agree to this fundraiser, and then we can all chip in a little something.  It would be great for the charity, and good for Bitcoin as well.  A way for Bitcoin users to "give back."

Smiley

The EFF springs to mind.
gigabytecoin

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 03:26:08 AM

Well I kept the website professional. Just cause I use medical marijuana doesn't really mean anything. I use it cause I used to have seizures. People can hate if they want I guess

Definitely not hating! I am a Canadian, it's prevalent here, and  I have enjoyed many trips to Amsterdam... I simply don't tell clients that when we're in the middle of a business meeting is all, or especially upon meeting them for the first time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: