Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:50:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Opinions] IF you could improve/add/remove 1 thing to bitcoin what would it be?  (Read 5702 times)
Btcvilla

Activity: 1078
Merit: 270

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:28:19 PM

Bitcoin atms being easier to use, I don't want to slip in an id to purchase bitcoin.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evanito

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

Your average Bitcoin/Ethereum enthusiast

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:29:49 PM

I would probably change the fees so that even smaller amounts can be sent without large fees. If bitcoin gets more expensive, you could have to pay several dollars to send one dollar of bitcoin.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

I would shorten the confirmation time. Ten minutes is a convenient number but there is no need for it to be so long. There are benefits to a shorter time. I would take a look at propagation times and the orphan block statistics of alt coins, and come up with a better shorter time.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
over1977v

Activity: 116

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:57:02 PM

Wish 0 confirmations are enought at more places, most places require confirmations, but they offer no service that cannot be canceled later (like before the goods are really send). It would be only bit more work to cancel the order if not paid later for them and zero risk...

I understand confirmation is really necessary for instant services only
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:02:56 PM

I would shorten the confirmation time. Ten minutes is a convenient number but there is no need for it to be so long.
A transaction doesn't have to appear in a block to be confirmed. (Although appearing in a block is a higher level of confirmation.) If the transaction is accepted by a suitable number of nodes in the network, which can happen in seconds, then it is likely it is valid. An exception to this is an online transaction, for which it is easier to mount a double-spend attack, but online transactions don't require instant confirmation, because the product is typically sent hours later.

Summary: The 10-minute block time is not too long, because at a brick-and-mortar location, the transaction does not need to be confirmed in a block.
78lower01

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:11:06 PM

I would change two things:

1 Lower fees to allow micro payments
2 Faster transaction times
ducatitalia

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

100% Positive EBAY Feedback Since 2001

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:01:54 AM

AND why?
Just 1 thing, for I it would be transaction times, cause waiting for those confirmations is wayy too long sometimes  Cry

To be clear...are you referring to improving one thing about Bitcoin the technology or the ecosystem in general?

From a tech perspective: Bitcoin core, blockchain and user interface comprehensive security measures
From a broader ecosystem perspective: Bitcoin Branding, Marketing, PR and Media Relations

Top Bitrated Escrow Service: Racer Great BTC Resources: www.thebtcboss.com
Interest Free Loans: Here BTC:1MBFDLK3s9Nzk7Anfzx2GvhUo7DEBqFz7W
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 01:05:15 AM

Shitty gambling adverts from people's signatures. You do nothing to promote a positive all inclusive image of Bitcoin by pandering and trying to profit from others vices/addictions.

Just because someone is a part of a signature campaign doesn't mean that they are only posting to promote said signature!

Personally, I am more turned off by people who put their Bitcoin and Litecoin addresses in their signature hoping for a handout  Roll Eyes

It was fairly novel back in the day to be able to tip people who posted stuff that was helpful. There hadn't been a way to do that before. We take it for granted now, but, being set up to receive tips was kind of a way of identifying ones self as someone who was trying to be helpful...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
mercistheman

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:12:15 AM

More advertising
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:20:42 AM

The most critical in my opinion: Address the 1 MB blocksize limit to allow Bitcoin to scale.

I would fight to keep it at 1MB for the years to come. We need off-chain solutions for that and there are many in the works. Raising the block size would only slow down progress and harm those projects.

AND why?
Just 1 thing, for I it would be transaction times, cause waiting for those confirmations is wayy too long sometimes  Cry

1minute is just as bad as 10minutes when in a supermarket, especially as this 1minute block time sometimes will also take 20minutes. We need other solutions to that and there are off-chain solutions.

But to answer the OP question:
What? I would add proof of stake.
Why? It's cheaper and better aligned with keeping the fees low and the network secure. With proof of stake there is no reason at all to have fees beyond keeping the blocks free of spam. Those holding bitcoins would have a huge incentive to keep the blockchain rolling even without block rewards and transaction fees. The claim that with proof of stake the rich become richer is based on the assumption that mining is a for profit venture but with mining (securing the transactions) being built back into every full client cause we can, we wouldn't have to worry about the 50%-pools and wouldn't be blamed for wasting energy on mining. Also those mining chip companies could focus on more meaningful stuff.
We could continue to give the block reward to proof of stake blocks and reserve the mining fees to proof of stake, aligned with the block reward halfing. At the next block reward halfing we don't half the block reward but we half the POW blocks, doubling the POW difficulty and adding POS.
Your suggestion is to make radical change to the protocol of BTC. There are plenty of altcoins out there you can choose from as you suggested, pow and pos combined.
btmtb

Activity: 291

Scam-Busting PSA: Beware of Black Arrow Software

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:37:19 AM

AND why?
Just 1 thing, for I it would be transaction times, cause waiting for those confirmations is wayy too long sometimes  Cry

User friendly Multi-Sig transaction support in the clients.

Would help improve security in an inherently trustless system, with everything from escrow to locking down wallets.
marcotheminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:52:05 AM

Bitcoin atms being easier to use, I don't want to slip in an id to purchase bitcoin.

Its gonna be this way until regulations relax Sad
marcotheminer (OP)
Legendary

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 12:57:09 PM

More advertising

As in to spread the word about bitcoin further?
Yeezus

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:07:38 PM

I would change two things:

1 Lower fees to allow micro payments
2 Faster transaction times

Fees can always be changed, but woiuld still have to be profitable for the miners. I could see this being a problem in the future. I think third party programs can allow for micropayments just fine.

niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:20:42 PM

I would probably change the fees so that even smaller amounts can be sent without large fees. If bitcoin gets more expensive, you could have to pay several dollars to send one dollar of bitcoin.

The fees are there to protect the notwork from spam rather than actually being a reward for miners.

The total fees fro one day are in the average of 10-20 btc so miners are more inclined to find blocks with fewer transactions rather than missing them.
And in this mix a few guys spending 100$ daily just to bloat the blockain and you're going to see why we don't have 1 cent fees right now.

Quicker confirmation times, anonymous storage via blockchain (large files)

Good luck downloading the blockchain after two blocks if i'm gonna store there just a few of my hd movies.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Mightycoin

Activity: 82

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:22:00 PM

I would try to lower confirmation times, they sometimes take hours Smiley

Although we can pay extra fee for faster confirmation, so yeah.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:10:59 PM

Sorry, I don't get people asking for faster confirmations. I understand it's sometimes frustrating to wait, but faster confirmation times = less secure confirmations. If you changed the block target to 5 mins, then services waiting for, say, 3 confirmations would simply require 6. No difference.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
marcotheminer (OP)
Legendary

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:12:37 PM

Sorry, I don't get people asking for faster confirmations. I understand it's sometimes frustrating to wait, but faster confirmation times = less secure confirmations. If you changed the block target to 5 mins, then services waiting for, say, 3 confirmations would simply require 6. No difference.

Fair point, in hindsight 10 minutes is nothing in the financial world of transaction times! Shocked
MoonTime

Activity: 96

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:12:57 PM

If the mining could be easier then profits would be more. However this might cause inflation..
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 04:05:58 PM

There is a significant difference between 1 confirmation and 0 confirmations, regardless of the time. Reducing the confirmation time from 10 minutes is beneficial in any transaction delayed due to waiting for at least one confirmation.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: