Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:21:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Gauging Interest] Bitcoin at Burning Man!  (Read 11618 times)
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 08:41:07 PM

Hi folks, we're doing this.

Here's the discussion link:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=424777

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
subcoin

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:53:36 PM

There are some crazy floats at Burning Man.

Bitcoin Miner Float (something like a giant open air computer + many led lights) would draw some attention  Cheesy
daviducsb

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:25:05 AM

The people who attend Burning Man are not the same people who would use bitcoin. Ever. Period.

Bullshit. I've attended burning man twice and use bitcoin.
moredillon

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:22:20 AM

Ahh Burning Man! Thanks for volunteering me Charlie Smiley

Such a trip will be absolutely fantastic under the following conditions:

1) First and foremost, the purpose has to be to go with bitcoiners as a social and networking and ideating activity. We'll be able to talk bitcoin all day long among ourselves and I'm sure some great work would come out of it. BUT - we will not (and should not) be able to "sell" or promote bitcoin at Burning Man in any visible way. If it comes up in conversation with outsiders, that's great, but we can't be there to evangelize. So to the extent that it's partly a business trip, the business would be primarily limited to internally within our group, not externally toward other burners. The event is explicitly "money free" and "promotion free"... and if we're promoting money then we FAIL doubly Smiley With that said, many burners would be interested in a counter-culture monetary system - so hopefully lots of organic conversations could happen.

2) There's actually an issue of ticketing this year... basically the event has gotten so large that there are not enough tickets. Because the operators don't understand how price mechanisms work, they thought it'd be better to distribute tickets on a lottery system than by raising prices to curb demand. Any free-marketer would be able to predict the outcome - shortages! I have no idea how to get tickets this year, and it might be impossible to do in any coordinated way for a group of us. So, this might be a problem :/

3) Burning Man is absolutely wild and awesome and interesting (just like Bitcoin). I can think of no better way to spend a week with fellow bitcoiners. But, it's intense, and requires lots of planning. Cannot be done last-minute. Requires commitment and dedication.

4) A nice RV is mandatory... fuck tents in the hot sun. A/C, showers, and cold beer Wink

Well stated. This sort of idea should be put into the glam campbitcoin website somewhere.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:45:03 AM

The people who attend Burning Man are not the same people who would use bitcoin. Ever. Period.

I've always been mildly interested in going to Burning Man, but not enough to even come close to doing it.  Got various experiences with the hippie Renascence Fairs as a kid, and my substance experiments out of the way in my late teens, so my life will be complete enough if I miss out on Burning Man completely.

I actually ended up on that lake-bed driving around one time about 15 years ago only later realizing what it was.  Nobody was there at the time.  It was the coolest place!  I tried to write my name in half-mile tall letters.  It's damn difficult.

If I did go to Burning Man I would certainly avoid any contact with the Bitcoin crew (while at that venue.)  Especially after the SJ 2013 conference and reading down through the posts on this thread.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
hivewallet

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 02:29:27 PM

Well stated. This sort of idea should be put into the glam campbitcoin website somewhere.

Indeed, it will be done. Some updates will be made in the coming week.

While we're speaking of updates, pour one out for our brother Charlie. Sad

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 09:06:15 AM

So, Yankee, who's the Burning Man now?  Grin

Sorry, couldn't resist... Tongue
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 12:08:14 PM

Wow Psy, that's cold as ice. lol

I've been there once. Burning Man is just an excuse for a people to get high, get naked and fuck in public. You can experience the same thing during any number of festivals in San Francisco. The only difference is at Burning Man you go to sleep every night with sand in your eyes and between your teeth. Burning Man only lasted a week. It took me two weeks to wash the sand out of my hair and the crack of my ass when I got home. Never again!

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 12:38:41 PM

I've been there once. Burning Man is just an excuse for a people to get high, get naked and fuck in public. You can experience the same thing during any number of festivals in San Francisco. The only difference is at Burning Man you go to sleep every night with sand in your eyes and between your teeth. Burning Man only lasted a week. It took me two weeks to wash the sand out of my hair and the crack of my ass when I got home. Never again!

I'm more into http://www.boomfestival.org . The US desert is a bit far away from me Wink
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:34:47 PM

I'm more into http://www.boomfestival.org . The US desert is a bit far away from me Wink

I hear you. With all the fine looking ass and killer weed near you why fly all the way to this fucked up country. Unless, of course, prison is another experience you want to try. I don't think most Americans realize we lead the world in the number of incarcerated citizens.

CoinDaddy

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:44:44 PM

To say there is nobody at burning man who cares about bitcoins is just a stupid statement.
Burning Man has people from all walks of life, getting together to enjoy music, freedom and getting messed up.
The focus of the festival will not allow this idea, even if the participants would be interested.
It's like advertising life insurance at a christmas party, just too unrelated and awkward.
By all means, wear your own Bitcoin T-Shirt.

Another good idea is to make subtly cool bitcoin t-shirts.  Like a shirt with a crazy design made out of bitcoins that some half-naked chick will want to stare at for 20 minutes in the hot desert sun.
Prolifik

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:04:53 PM

Print out a bunch of paper wallets load them with some Bitcoin and give them away to people.

Because that would be the cool thing to do.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 08:16:40 PM

I was under the impression that nothing was sold or purchased during Burning Man, but guess I'm mistaken.

Next, I see Yankee/Charlie logged in yesterday.

Finally, an image that may or may not be related: http://www.businessinsider.com/tyler-winklevoss-at-burning-man-2013-9

Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 08:47:31 PM

I was under the impression that nothing was sold or purchased during Burning Man, but guess I'm mistaken.

Finally, an image that may or may not be related: http://www.businessinsider.com/tyler-winklevoss-at-burning-man-2013-9

I'm here..lurkin...

Don't worry PSY, no offense taken  Grin

Hey Bruno! Miss you bro...

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
hivewallet

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 09:34:29 PM

That's correct. Nothing can be sold or purchased there (except... ice, and not that kind of ice).

I'm here..lurkin...

Yo man! Saw you online on Skype, thought maybe I was wigging out. Anyway, I'm sure it's the most trivial of your problems right now, but given the thread... Do we leave you on the CB website? Going to make it by hook or by crook?

Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 02:14:41 AM

Yo man! Saw you online on Skype, thought maybe I was wigging out. Anyway, I'm sure it's the most trivial of your problems right now, but given the thread... Do we leave you on the CB website? Going to make it by hook or by crook?

Hit me up on skype, let's chat!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 02:26:01 AM

There is going to be a bitcoin camp at burning man this year.  Someone handed me a businesscard in Miami about it, I'll scan it/type in the website details when I get time later.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 04:04:42 AM

I'm here..lurkin...

Hey, bud. Glad you're out. FWIW, I still do like you.

~TMIBTCITW
hivewallet

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 09:07:17 AM

Hit me up on skype, let's chat!

Will do man!

hivewallet

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 09:07:37 AM

There is going to be a bitcoin camp at burning man this year.  Someone handed me a businesscard in Miami about it, I'll scan it/type in the website details when I get time later.

Yeah that was us. :-)

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: