Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:26:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [IDEA] bitcoin app market  (Read 1641 times)
g00dnight (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2012, 05:38:21 PM

Maybe this theme was already discussed on the forum, but I couldn't find anything similar.

I think it would be cool if we could use global market where we could buy mobile/tablet/etc apps for many widely known platforms (iOS, Android, Blackberry etc.) and pay with BTC.

So, I've got some questions:
1) Is someone interested in that?
2) Are there any major companies (Google, Apple, RIM) who made any researches into this? I guess the answer is no, but why?
3) Is it legal?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2012, 10:00:00 PM

1) Yes!
2) No, b/c they r gonna try to make their own payment system apple wallet google wallet etc.
3) who knows. I say go for it & if some judge makes a decision, then we'll know.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 10:37:08 PM

While that's not a terrible idea, it's rather mundane. It doesn't really exploit any of Bitcoin's advantages over any other payment system... unless... all the apps are less than say 50¢ ea.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 12:07:11 AM

well, i have heard there are some alternative app stores which have trouble finding a paypment processor and have to deal with chargebacks all the time.
for example, http://www.mikandi.com
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 01:06:37 AM

While that's not a terrible idea, it's rather mundane. It doesn't really exploit any of Bitcoin's advantages over any other payment system... unless... all the apps are less than say 50¢ ea.

well, i have heard there are some alternative app stores which have trouble finding a paypment processor and have to deal with chargebacks all the time.
for example, http://www.mikandi.com

This!

Most apps are pretty cheap, yes?  This makes for a very great bitcoin opportunity!

Fold for spending BTCs

Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

Earthling

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 09:56:33 AM

I would use it if it as just as easy as buying an app on App Store.

1. Click buy.
2. Install.

How would this work with Bitcoin? Wouldn't you have to send BTC to an address every time you purchase an app?

BTC: 1GUH16sneWgKuE1ArXrnYKN3njuherJQi1
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 10:20:25 AM

1. Click buy.
2. Install.

How would this work with Bitcoin? Wouldn't you have to send BTC to an address every time you purchase an app?

I've never "purchased" an app.  I only have free apps so far.  Also, I use android, so I use Google Play rather than the "app store."  If you could please elaborate on how you "pay."

Do you load money into an account?  B/c then you're simply saying you prefer to pay in advance.  I assume that if there were a bitcoin app store, or if we added bitcoin as a payment method to the "official app store," then you'd still be able to pay in advance and load bitcoins into your account.

Or do you get a bill for it later in the month, or is it added to your actual phone bill?  In which case, I'm sure bit-pay or some other merchant solution could help with converting the bill from a BTC payment into your phone bill (so that you "pay" with bitcoin at point of sale, but then your bill has USD). 

Fold for spending BTCs

piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 12:42:04 PM

It could be worth contacting some cydia repositories. When I submitted my app to http://thebigboss.org/ the operator said he was a bitcoin user.

g00dnight (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 01:19:56 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2012, 01:51:41 PM by g00dnight

1. Click buy.
2. Install.

Well... yes, if you need to send money to specific address each time you purchase an app, it could be rather long procedure, due to transaction confirmations.

The most obvious and easy-to-do way is to send btc to your account at app store and spend them later.

The other way is to reserve money in your bitcoin wallet and issue a bill at the end of the month, but as far as I know, there is no such functionality in Bitcoin client, isn't it?

1) Yes!
Me too. Of course one or two men is not enough for such a large and complicated project. So I want to discuss about it a little, about risks and opportunities, and then gather a team of interested people, who knows.

What do you mean under this advantages? Can you give a more detailed view? Now I see only three advantages:
1) As far as I know BTC payments are tax-free
2) You can use one site with similar interface to buy apps for all of your devices
3) In general, I think this is an opportunity to develop Bitcoin economy further. Now the large amount of bitcoin-projects is about speculation, mining etc. but not about a real business, it would have a negative consequences
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 03:05:17 PM

1. Click buy.
2. Install.

Well... yes, if you need to send money to specific address each time you purchase an app, it could be rather long procedure, due to transaction confirmations.

Anything wrong with this plan?: All wallet applications support Bitcoin URI's + Vendors accept 0-confirmation transactions
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 03:27:09 PM

I just launched coinDL.com and have an Apps category there that is waiting for its first app. We do not have an Android market app yet but if you're someone who makes apps like that I would be interested to talk. I may code it myself if there is demand.

Currently you could pay Bitcoin for an item(an app for example) and download a file within about 15 seconds. So if lots of people can deal with apks or the iOS analog then that could work.
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 04:23:35 PM

I just launched coinDL.com and have an Apps category there that is waiting for its first app. We do not have an Android market app yet but if you're someone who makes apps like that I would be interested to talk. I may code it myself if there is demand.

Currently you could pay Bitcoin for an item(an app for example) and download a file within about 15 seconds. So if lots of people can deal with apks or the iOS analog then that could work.

I am working with a team who is making an app.  I'll let you know once we're ready to sell.  I'm sure we'll want to list our app on as many sites as possible.

Fold for spending BTCs

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 04:56:06 PM

What do you mean under this advantages? Can you give a more detailed view? Now I see only three advantages:
1) As far as I know BTC payments are tax-free
2) You can use one site with similar interface to buy apps for all of your devices
3) In general, I think this is an opportunity to develop Bitcoin economy further. Now the large amount of bitcoin-projects is about speculation, mining etc. but not about a real business, it would have a negative consequences
Bitcoin has a lot of unique properties. Making simple online purchases is not one of them. In fact, I would be very leary to buy anything online with Bitcoin unless it was from a very well established store with a solid BBB reputation and many years of trusted service. As far as taxes go, how does paying in Bitcoin relieve you of your tax burden? I'm not criticizing the idea of starting an app store to compete with Apple and Google. I wish you good luck with that. While I agree that a Bitcoin economy needs commerce, there are plenty of new markets that can benefit from no charge-backs, privacy, low transaction fees, and no minimum amount. I'm trying to recall the video with an example of doing map searches on a smart phone for a nickel. That was a good example.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 07:09:00 PM

Bitcoin has a lot of unique properties. Making simple online purchases is not one of them.
Show me any other payment method that does not require you to log in or to disclose any personal information (neither to the app store, nor to any third party service) and I'll give you that point.

Really simple online purchases are a unique feature of Bitcoin! If you want to lower your counterparty risk then there's always escrow - but as for simplicity alone, Bitcoin wins hands down IMHO.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 07:13:42 PM

Bitcoin has a lot of unique properties. Making simple online purchases is not one of them.
Show me any other payment method that does not require you to log in or to disclose any personal information (neither to the app store, nor to any third party service) and I'll give you that point.

Really simple online purchases are a unique feature of Bitcoin! If you want to lower your counterparty risk then there's always escrow - but as for simplicity alone, Bitcoin wins hands down IMHO.
VISA/MC debit gift cards don't require personal information nor login if you purchase using the guest option which most stores have.

Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

Earthling

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 09:37:00 PM

1. Click buy.
2. Install.

I've never "purchased" an app.  I only have free apps so far.  Also, I use android, so I use Google Play rather than the "app store."  If you could please elaborate on how you "pay."

Do you load money into an account?  B/c then you're simply saying you prefer to pay in advance.  I assume that if there were a bitcoin app store, or if we added bitcoin as a payment method to the "official app store," then you'd still be able to pay in advance and load bitcoins into your account.

Or do you get a bill for it later in the month, or is it added to your actual phone bill?  In which case, I'm sure bit-pay or some other merchant solution could help with converting the bill from a BTC payment into your phone bill (so that you "pay" with bitcoin at point of sale, but then your bill has USD). 

It's rather the simple. The first thing you do is add a credit card to your account. Then, whenever you click "buy" (doesn't matter which app store. apple/google/windows) it instantly buy the app and installs it. The money are later withdrawn from your bank account.

How would you go about doing the very same thing with Bitcoin? Is it possible to connect your Bitcoin client with an app store and automatically send the BTC for whatever app you purchase?

The alternative with be having a wallet on the app store, where I could store Bitcoins and let them use those BTC when I purchase an app, but then I would have to trust my Bitcoins are in good hands ^^

BTC: 1GUH16sneWgKuE1ArXrnYKN3njuherJQi1
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 10:08:00 PM

How would you go about doing the very same thing with Bitcoin? Is it possible to connect your Bitcoin client with an app store and automatically send the BTC for whatever app you purchase?

As I said earlier, Bitcoin URI's are supposed to solve this. Click on the link, your wallet app pops up asking for confirmation, you press OK (and optionally enter a password), and you're done. This assumes that the vendor is accepting 0-confirmation transactions, which I think is perfectly acceptable for an app store. Even better if the payment goes directly to the developer's wallet.

You could store the coins and do it the way it's currently done by the app stores, but I don't think it utilizes the strong suits of Bitcoin. If this is the way it will be done, I would prefer using an intermediary, like spendbitcoins.com, to convert on-the-fly, rather than a specific service.
g00dnight (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 11:54:14 AM

Hmm, sounds good. However, I'm dreaming about more specific store Wink (where you can search apps for specific platform and see featuread app, etc)
By the way, can you sell Blackberry apps at your site? And what kind of revenue you can pay? I have an app for sale, just check my signature.

Anything wrong with this plan?: All wallet applications support Bitcoin URI's + Vendors accept 0-confirmation transactions
I've just read this https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0021 - it makes sense. Thank you!

After doing some researches, there are two things that make me sad, a little bit:
1. Looks like Apple is clamping down any sales outside of their store.
2. There is a still big risk to host apps with viruses and trojans. At least in the beginning.

Ok, I will try to summarize all gathered facts and think about realization.
g00dnight (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 11:57:47 AM

You could store the coins and do it the way it's currently done by the app stores, but I don't think it utilizes the strong suits of Bitcoin. If this is the way it will be done, I would prefer using an intermediary, like spendbitcoins.com, to convert on-the-fly, rather than a specific service.
Yes! But after payment you must receive a download link, somehow. Need to think about the easiest way to do this.
Granster

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:48:17 PM

I have had two android apps on CoinDL for several weeks now and no sales. I could put on several more I have written but why if no interest? I just reduced the price to 0.01 BTC to see if that makes a difference.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: