Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:02:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Something better than Operation Fabulous?  (Read 10213 times)
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:46:07 AM

Would also be easier to get bids if I had accurate stats:

While the overall shape of this curve does match my actual stats, I know for a fact I didn't have 0 page views on 9/22  Grin

Also, your code as it exists gets nailed by adblock for Chrome.

Other than that I am at least getting some bids now that one of my ad slots is listed in the new layout (albeit sans screenshot) so I can't complain too much, though it is a pretty sad CPM so far. I do recognize that OF is basically Project Wonderful in slow motion as far as that's concerned though, so I'll bide my time and wait for more bidders.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:35:02 AM

I received a folder and the bootstrapped project. I have no access to the server and even no database!

Tomorrow, I'll see the handy work of biomike. I suspected I will be more horrified than happy. PHP have a really bad reputation as a web language and community.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:37:10 AM

Ain't a bug to me.

enmaku

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 06:10:48 AM

Ain't a bug to me.

Fair enough, but Bitcoiners are a pretty technically adept crowd, so nearly half of my hits see no ads. Great for them if they don't want ads, terrible for your publishers' CPM stats
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 07:35:45 AM

Ain't a bug to me.

Fair enough, but Bitcoiners are a pretty technically adept crowd, so nearly half of my hits see no ads. Great for them if they don't want ads, terrible for your publishers' CPM stats

So...  People use adblock extensively?  Is that something we can even avoid?  I never used the extension before, but I just installed it and it looks like it does a good job at blocking ads.  If it's blocking Google ads, chances are it's blocking OpFab. 

The site is going to undergo an overhaul.  Stay tuned.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 10:49:58 AM

I noticed heavy ad blocking, too. To be honest I have ABP installed myself Smiley

Also OF was very slow lately. It should be possible to put the banner loading code at the end of the page so it does not delay the display of the rest of the page for 20secs.
enmaku

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:56:10 PM

Ain't a bug to me.

So...  People use adblock extensively?  Is that something we can even avoid?  I never used the extension before, but I just installed it and it looks like it does a good job at blocking ads.  If it's blocking Google ads, chances are it's blocking OpFab. 

The site is going to undergo an overhaul.  Stay tuned.

It doesn't block the WP125 ads of my direct sponsors - it did by default but it blocks those ads and yours based on the CSS class names of the divs, which I can change regularly in my WP125 ads but can't change in OF's ads because for some reason it breaks your JavaScript Tongue
mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 05:17:42 PM

I noticed heavy ad blocking, too. To be honest I have ABP installed myself Smiley

Also OF was very slow lately. It should be possible to put the banner loading code at the end of the page so it does not delay the display of the rest of the page for 20secs.

The slowness problem is also going to be healed very soon.  We have a much faster server which is set up and will hopefully be live shortly.  This week, hopefully?
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:24:39 PM

The slowness problem is also going to be healed very soon.  We have a much faster server which is set up and will hopefully be live shortly.  This week, hopefully?

Always underpromise, and over-deliver my friend.

mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 06:18:27 PM

Always underpromise, and over-deliver my friend.

Okay, it will be up ASAP, I can't say how soon, but the server is running, it has all the packages required to run the code, the files are on there, basically I need to import the database and switch the DNS and it will be live.  It has been a process to get this far.  The server is ridiculously fast compared to the existing one.  Faster than ridiculous.  Faster than ludacris speed, we are going to go PLAID!

(but please don't make the layout plaid kiba)
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 07:03:01 PM

Ok. I am officially horrified. The home page is managed by a php file that echo everything. This should just be HTML proper or be done entirely in haml.

mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 07:23:09 PM

Ok. I am officially horrified. The home page is managed by a php file that echo everything. This should just be HTML proper or be done entirely in haml.
I know, everything is ass-backwards.  Basically, make it 2012-worthy.  Smiley
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 09:34:20 PM

http://www.diigo.com/item/image/36ppp/73xq

Here is what Operation Fabulous looks like now. Most of my time is not spent on adding twitter bootstrap, but rather writing out the sorry echos that are everywhere.

enmaku

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 07:11:18 AM

http://www.diigo.com/item/image/36ppp/73xq

Here is what Operation Fabulous looks like now. Most of my time is not spent on adding twitter bootstrap, but rather writing out the sorry echos that are everywhere.

<3 bootstrap

Looking forward to the new hotness.
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:25:30 PM

What about ordering publishers by number of impressions, not the highest bid? In current condition even large sites are experiencing difficulties to find advertisers if they have no bids.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 04:02:06 PM

What about ordering publishers by number of impressions, not the highest bid? In current condition even large sites are experiencing difficulties to find advertisers if they have no bids.
+1  also some sites are not showing up at all  Roll Eyes
enmaku

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:56:56 PM

+1  also some sites are not showing up at all  Roll Eyes
+1000 - and I'll go so far as to say that there should be a tabular view in which users can sort by any column in either direction, if they want. "Click header to sort" is pretty standard functionality.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:16:07 PM

Stylistic issues are best addressed by fixing them whenever you happen to be updating some part of the code for other reasons. Otherwise it's just gratuitous, and there's always a risk of introducing extra bugs.

They are not just stylistic issue, they're also readability issue. Clean code is good code.

Oh, and you do have a comprehensive test suite, I assume? If not, then writing a set of tests will repay your effort far more than rewriting code that uses PHP's "echo" statement.

Given that the codebase use echo for html templates, I doubt it have a comprehensive test suite. I am not knowledgable enough about a raw PHP site to write one anyway.

enmaku

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 10:13:26 PM

Ooh, what about a "trending" measurement of some kind? I know that on my site, for example, I expect a certain # of hits per day as a baseline, but every once in a while something makes it to the front page of Hacker News or something and I'll get 10k+ hits in 24 hours - would be nice if advertisers could jump in to take advantage of those kinds of spikes but with the metrics that are in place there's no way for them to know about a 24hr spike until it's over. Realtime analytics is probably asking for a bit much, but maybe hourly stat updates instead of daily?
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:46:39 PM

Ooh, what about a "trending" measurement of some kind? I know that on my site, for example, I expect a certain # of hits per day as a baseline, but every once in a while something makes it to the front page of Hacker News or something and I'll get 10k+ hits in 24 hours - would be nice if advertisers could jump in to take advantage of those kinds of spikes but with the metrics that are in place there's no way for them to know about a 24hr spike until it's over. Realtime analytics is probably asking for a bit much, but maybe hourly stat updates instead of daily?

Everything is slow slow slow because BioMike choose to write from scratch and use non-standard technology. There's no git repository or instruction on how to set up development environment. Even the most active owner on Operation Fabulous don't interface with me everyday.

I'll figure out it gradually, but it will takes some time. When I do finish figuring out stuff out, while upgrading, I may be able to work on your request, or not. It all depends on what's the most urgent and important issue.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: