Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:34:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Something better than Operation Fabulous?  (Read 10209 times)
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 09:53:06 PM

New owners(edd and all) are too lazy.  Angry
Definitely not lazy. 

We are going to completely re-do the interface, I can probably have that done in a day or two, but the first priority was to get the website moved to our new host (right now we are paying for two hosting packages) and it was literally emails back and forth since JUNE and FINALLY we got the server that we can use.  The website itself is very advanced in the inner-workings and we can not just simply upload the files to a server and it works, there are a lot of deep hooks that go into the OS which have caused a problem in not only a transition from one server type to the next but also the operating system itself is changing, and we have to get everything perfect before we make the final switch.

You cannot call me lazy, I spend at least 5-10 hours a day working on my websites.  I WISH, and I mean WISH I had Operation Fabulous moved to the new server, like tonight, so I can start working on it.  I can have the interface revamped by the end of the week.  There is a time-zone difference between me, Edd, and the original owner, BioMike.  Me and Edd are in CST, whereas BioMike lives on the other side of the world and he can only be available to help work on the site during the week when it's like 2AM my time, and I work full time in IT so I basically have to go to bed the moment he's ready to work on it.  But right now "working on it" is "moving the site to the new server."  If I could have a sheet of paper that tells me exactly what I need to do to take the OpFab files and make them work on the server, I would do that right now.  I promise you guys, a week from now the site should be improved.  I'm kind of against a wall right now because the site is so overcomplicated (IMHO) but I'll get it not only get it running faster, but with a new theme, new features, and a REALLY big announcement to be made, you guys are going to be shocked with the new implementation of Operation Fabulous.

We are doing an IPO for Operation Fabulous, and the money we are raising is going straight into the development of the site.  Otherwise there really is no need to do an IPO, everything is working fine and no additional capital is needed.  With additional funds we will see to improve the site even further, I have a laundry list of a hundred things I would want and will get changed.  I am talking with three different developers right now.

Progress looks slow, but it's progress.  Words can't describe how frustrated I was that 20 emails had to go back and forth to our hosting provider and it took us this long to get a server (our originally "quarterly" billing cycle expired without us having a server we could use, at our cost). 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 10:11:55 PM

I can say definitively that OF has some serious work to do. I signed up as a publisher something like 4 days ago and after wasting the first 24 hours displaying an OF logo because of a manual approval process I've displayed that same logo for another 72 hours because no one is bidding.

You can't say my ad spots are bad - slot 1 is close to the top of the page and damn near the center, and slot 2 is just beneath it. Granted I only have 2 days worth of stats there but the averages, while falling well below my actual readership (I'm guessing adblock is responsible for that), are respectable - certainly higher than some of the other publishers in the list that actually have active bids. They're good solid ad slots and they've been sitting vacant for 72 hours, I even tried setting to minimum bid to 0 and I couldn't even GIVE the slots away. There has to be a better way for advertisers to find good ad slots.

I have no doubt that someone will eventually buy some ad space and I can start making money but honestly if I'd spent as much time in the past 72 hours contacting would-be advertisers directly as I've spent staring at that damn OF logo I probably could have sold two ad slots for a solid month the hard way. Hell, I may still have to consider that option...

I really want OF to succeed, the Bitcoin world needs both CPM and CPC advertising and right now OF seems to be the best contender in the CPM realm, but man there's still a long way to go, especially where getting ads into slots for new publishers is concerned.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 10:48:49 PM

Progress looks slow, but it's progress.  Words can't describe how frustrated I was that 20 emails had to go back and forth to our hosting provider and it took us this long to get a server (our originally "quarterly" billing cycle expired without us having a server we could use, at our cost). 

No, progress looks dead. If you have reported what's going on in a weekly or even a monthy dispatch, I wouldn't be whining. But now I know. I am hoping.

Coinbuck @ BTCLot

Activity: 540

The future begins today

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 11:44:37 PM

New owners(edd and all) are too lazy.  Angry

Yes and highly dubious.

Talking about dubious:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83328.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87567.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104896.0

Operation Fabulous is not a scam. I've used them for a while and they actually pay their publishers unlike your scammy little service.

Bitcoin is the future !
mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 01:20:05 AM

I can say definitively that OF has some serious work to do. I signed up as a publisher something like 4 days ago and after wasting the first 24 hours displaying an OF logo because of a manual approval process I've displayed that same logo for another 72 hours because no one is bidding.

You can't say my ad spots are bad - slot 1 is close to the top of the page and damn near the center, and slot 2 is just beneath it. Granted I only have 2 days worth of stats there but the averages, while falling well below my actual readership (I'm guessing adblock is responsible for that), are respectable - certainly higher than some of the other publishers in the list that actually have active bids. They're good solid ad slots and they've been sitting vacant for 72 hours, I even tried setting to minimum bid to 0 and I couldn't even GIVE the slots away. There has to be a better way for advertisers to find good ad slots.

I have no doubt that someone will eventually buy some ad space and I can start making money but honestly if I'd spent as much time in the past 72 hours contacting would-be advertisers directly as I've spent staring at that damn OF logo I probably could have sold two ad slots for a solid month the hard way. Hell, I may still have to consider that option...

I really want OF to succeed, the Bitcoin world needs both CPM and CPC advertising and right now OF seems to be the best contender in the CPM realm, but man there's still a long way to go, especially where getting ads into slots for new publishers is concerned.

I'm glad to hear the feedback, I know there is much to be done.  For example, when a user signs up as a publisher, a simple PHP script to fire off an email to inform me that there is someone awaiting approval?  That is my first priority, that's a 2-second change that will help tremendously.  I made a huge list of things that need to be done, but there are things I am still learning about the site, me and Edd bought the site earlier in the year and I think it was 2-3 months later I was given the instruction on how to approve websites for people.  I went in there, and omg, it's a loooooooong list.  There are many websites that have signed up, and then I presume they got frustrated at seeing the unapproved box for a day or two and they remove the box, so when the admin goes in to check the sites, if they visit a publisher and see the site doesn't have an ad box, he won't approve it, so it just sits in the list endlessly.  There are a dozen ways I would want to improve that page itself, to make it easier for an admin to filter through results and whatnot, but I think it would be possible to approve websites through the normal interface somehow, since right now in order to do anything in the admin I need to SSH into the box, change a file so it will be accessible to viewing in a browser, then proceed approving sites.  I think there are several other safe ways to do that, although right now it's such an ultra-secure system that this is sort of the best way and it is functional but, yea, there is much to improve.  I can see the need for approving sites, but IMHO we don't need admin to approve a website before it goes live.  If a website is getting traffic, it should be automatically able to receive bids.  Then maybe an admin should check which sites are added and remove those that shouldn't be there?  Something to consider. 

I also have an idea on how to fill up the empty ad boxes, like yours right now you have incredible traffic but it takes at least a week before your box has a lot of bids on it.  Look at bitcointrading.com's bids, right now it's actually bidding pretty low at 0.09 BTC per day, but look at how many people are bidding.  It is not uncommon for the bidding to get all the way up to 1.0 BTC per day per ad square on a site like mine.  In the past year, I have probably made 50-100 BTC through advertising with OperationFabulous, I'll look up the exact figure.  Some of the lesser publishers, with only getting 50 pageviews per day, will not get enormous bids on them, but they will more than likely have bids if they set their minimum bid to zero, so they will get at least a bid of a few bitcents and they will make leaps and bounds more than other bitcoin advertising services.  If you look at bitcointrading's second ad box, the one on the top right, it's bid is currently at 0.011 BTC per day, although it is exactly the same in positioning to the box on the left, but for some reason everyone bids on the left box.  One advertiser is getting a lot more views to his BTC than the other.  I think individual advertising box bidding is a great idea, but in this case it might need a bit of tweaking.  Since the website tells us how many views per BTC the box is currently getting, then perhaps a person could put a blanket advertisement site-wide for any site that meets that many views per BTC.  There must be a way for us to do that.  I see the site and I can just think of so many ways that I can make the site better.  I might need a hand with the actual coding of how to change that, or if we re-do the whole bidding system altogether, it will probably be worth the effort.  Thing is, right now the site works perfectly fine the way it is designed to do, we just need to make Operation Fabulous 2.0 basically. 

Since the 'other' advertisers use per-click and per-impression bidding systems, their results should be pretty similar depending on the amount of pageviews.  Can users of these services post their results, are you getting paid decently?  I had horrible results.  With BitcoinAdvertisers I had 2 ad boxes up for about a month and I never got a penny, so I took them off.  I've left the Anonymous Ads box up there still for almost a year now and I have only made 0.03 BTC.  I put up a CoinURL box and I received 0.029 BTC this month, I just signed up Sept. 1st to try it out.  My Operation Fabulous boxes outperform all three services 10-to-1 most of the time, and easily paying me more daily what I would make in a month, and this is just one of my websites on there.  If your results differ than mine, post below. 
mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 03:42:26 AM

wow.  I went to check on the total that I earned as an Operation Fabulous publisher, and the amount is awesome.  I earned a total of 180.62310363 BTC!!  What did you guys earn?

Here are the blockchain.info pages for my payment addresses:

But first here's an advertisement from my favorite publisher:

(you rock!) Smiley

ok here is the first address, when the site was pointed at my wallet (113.27055 BTC):

http://blockchain.info/address/17R9ZzoAeo6m5t4qzGGaFbTK1UhiHwMtvw

then I changed the address when I had to point some funds at them from April to June (15.93130328 BTC):

http://blockchain.info/address/1NX94MJ6xqhtUCxRn6eo1Dtzdr4NvFQ5X8

then I changed it back to my wallet (24.13763104 BTC and counting)

http://blockchain.info/address/1HpRAxotQP59vzMNyDGx2L9WkXP5hmwcrd

I also have another website, arcadegenies.com, and it has a separate address (27.28361931 BTC):

http://blockchain.info/address/16BZomK64Xxi3G7nsYmrTSMxEqFNikzcHG

That's not including what the site itself earns, that's just me having banners on my site. 

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 03:50:49 AM

Received this much lifetime from the address listed at operation fabulous: 14.97095204 BTC   

Also, it appears that I am earning bitcoin like clockwork. Every 5 days or so, I would get 0.05 BTC. Only bitcoinweekly.com is earning anything. Kibabase is earning nothing(mostly because its traffic is low).

I hope operation fabulous is going to get modernized soon. It's driving me insane.

jasinlee

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 03:54:23 AM

Looking for suggestions here as to what features would be desired for an ad network.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110279.msg1199973

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 04:00:43 AM

I hope operation fabulous is going to get modernized soon. It's driving me insane.
Soon, very very soon.
enmaku

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:14:00 AM

if I'd spent as much time in the past 72 hours contacting would-be advertisers directly as I've spent staring at that damn OF logo I probably could have sold two ad slots for a solid month the hard way. Hell, I may still have to consider that option...

Turns out I was right, a couple hours and a few PMs worth of effort scored a Coinabul ad at a fair rate (thanks Coinabul!). Admittedly it would be way harder to pull that off if I didn't have good volume, but it still shouldn't be easier for me to negotiate ad placement via forum PM than via a platform explicitly designed for such.

On the plus side I do finally have a couple bids trickling in for my first ad box so I can at least confirm that OF *does* work, just slowly.  Grin

I'm glad to hear there is progress being made, OF seems like it has the underpinnings of a good platform, it just needs some work - and it looks like it's getting that work.
Coinabul

Activity: 588

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 04:08:41 PM

if I'd spent as much time in the past 72 hours contacting would-be advertisers directly as I've spent staring at that damn OF logo I probably could have sold two ad slots for a solid month the hard way. Hell, I may still have to consider that option...

Turns out I was right, a couple hours and a few PMs worth of effort scored a Coinabul ad at a fair rate (thanks Coinabul!). Admittedly it would be way harder to pull that off if I didn't have good volume, but it still shouldn't be easier for me to negotiate ad placement via forum PM than via a platform explicitly designed for such.

On the plus side I do finally have a couple bids trickling in for my first ad box so I can at least confirm that OF *does* work, just slowly.  Grin

I'm glad to hear there is progress being made, OF seems like it has the underpinnings of a good platform, it just needs some work - and it looks like it's getting that work.
If anyone one else wants some ads, please PM me! Smiley

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:23:11 PM

We are doing an IPO for Operation Fabulous, and the money we are raising is going straight into the development of the site.  Otherwise there really is no need to do an IPO, everything is working fine and no additional capital is needed.  With additional funds we will see to improve the site even further, I have a laundry list of a hundred things I would want and will get changed.  I am talking with three different developers right now.

What kind of IPO? The GLBSE one or a legally enforced one?

mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 04:44:10 PM

What kind of IPO? The GLBSE one or a legally enforced one?

Is a GLBSE one not legally enforceable?
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:54:27 PM

Is a GLBSE one not legally enforceable?

No, I don't think so.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 05:03:17 PM

If you can't afford the money for development, which sounds like what you're trying to get out of fundraising, then you can hire me on the cheap to improve things around here, however small that may be.

Be aware that I can find far better value for my labor on the market, but I am willing to help you guys for token wage at first, until you got more customer and can afford to pay closer to market value.

I want operation fabulous to succeed too. So it'll make me money in term of additional publishers in the ecosystem.

mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 05:53:50 PM

If you can't afford the money for development, which sounds like what you're trying to get out of fundraising, then you can hire me on the cheap to improve things around here, however small that may be.

Be aware that I can find far better value for my labor on the market, but I am willing to help you guys for token wage at first, until you got more customer and can afford to pay closer to market value.

I want operation fabulous to succeed too. So it'll make me money in term of additional publishers in the ecosystem.
PM'd! Cheesy
enmaku

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 06:15:50 AM

PM'd! Cheesy

This makes me pretty damn happy  Cheesy
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:17:41 AM

do you happen to know what is necessary for a site showing up on the new bidding pages? mine just won't.

btw: tried a couple of other advertising systems, they were no better.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 09:37:52 PM

do you happen to know what is necessary for a site showing up on the new bidding pages? mine just won't.

You may not have been approved. PM mc_lovin.

In anycase, I am seeing that he's working on improving the site look, but it will be a while until I get handed the source code of the site. Then, I can start making modification to the site in all...sort of ways.

mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 03:47:02 AM

You may not have been approved. PM mc_lovin.

In anycase, I am seeing that he's working on improving the site look, but it will be a while until I get handed the source code of the site. Then, I can start making modification to the site in all...sort of ways.

Man, I'm just blown away at how many new publishers we are getting.  Is that like 20 this week?

BitcoinX is showing up on the 'old style' list, so that is working perfectly:

However, I don't think it's showing up on the 'new style' list.  That's a paddlin'.  Needs fixage!  Kiba!!  Fix itttt!  Smiley

OpFab is going to be awesome soon.  Soon can't come soon enough.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: