Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:00:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin taxes in the US  (Read 1446 times)
red87445 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:07:00 AM

I'm interested in dealing with Bitcoins, and I read that in the U.S. Bitcoin transactions are subjected to capital gains tax and mining is subjected to income tax. I was wondering if these taxes are actually paid when dealing with Bitcoins or is it just for show and not actually being enforced?
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:15:12 AM

Maybe here you can find some help, surely something more adequate than a simple answer on a forum.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1uccfz/i_am_a_tax_attorney_here_are_my_answers_to_the/  #10 #14 are what you're probably looking for.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/21g6sx/i_am_a_tax_attorney_here_is_what_the_irs_notice/

But remember to always talk to your accountant before doing something.
Nrcewker
Copper Member

Activity: 2170
Merit: 536

Building my own Dreams!

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:35:32 AM

Does Bitcoin transactions need taxes in the US?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
red87445 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:44:39 AM

Thanks for the articles! Now, I'm wondering if anyone is evading these taxes or if for the most part all American Bitcoin users pay for these? I'm not trying to avoid or anything I'm also doing a research paper on this.
kerimk2

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

ACCOUNT BANNED. Email in sig!!

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:45:31 AM

Suckers, this is why I live in Canada eh
Sucks so much that you guys have to pay tax on MINING!  How the hell are you going to profit now.

If you need support for AutoPonzi contact: autoponzi@gmail.com
We aren't sure how long the ban is for. We aren't even sure why we are banned. But we'll try figure it out
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:45:49 AM

I'm interested in dealing with Bitcoins, and I read that in the U.S. Bitcoin transactions are subjected to capital gains tax and mining is subjected to income tax. I was wondering if these taxes are actually paid when dealing with Bitcoins or is it just for show and not actually being enforced?

Yes taxes on Bitcoin as capital gain and mining as income tax is real and needs to be paid unless you'd like to end up in jail over here. As far as it being enforced, the IRS may not have that many tools as of yet, but as time passes they will get better at enforcement and will be sure to tax you up the @$$ for any coins you haven't claimed.

I'm sure there are people evading taxes on bitcoin right now, but that obviously is not advised.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:47:54 AM

Sucks so much that you guys have to pay tax on MINING!  How the hell are you going to profit now.

I believe there was some update from the IRS recently stating that small at-home style miners didn't have to pay an income tax on them (be sure to verify this though), as their biggest goal was taxing the corporations with the massive amounts of mining power. Mining right now is largely unprofitable for everyone, whether or not they are paying taxes. The few exceptions might be for people with either small rigs in apartments that have free electricity, or places with super-ultra low electricity costs (IE 2-3 cents / KW)

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
btcbot

Activity: 151
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:16:38 AM

Any idea on how to report divs from BTC-denominated stocks?  From my limited research I've learned that private equity no-1099-DIV-issued divs are taxed as long term capital gains, but I can't find anything specifically BTC-related. 

Don't tip me... tip the Riseup folks who protect activists around the world.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:46:26 AM

Does Bitcoin transactions need taxes in the US?
No more than cash transactions or bartering.
btmtb

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

Scam-Busting PSA: Beware of Black Arrow Software

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:50:15 AM

At least that opens up the opportunity to deductions for hardware and electricity.. if you're a Black Arrow pre-order scam customer you might even end up with a rebate (that last bit is tongue in cheek sarcasm)
Mightycoin

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:38:14 PM

There are many things you can hide from government, including bitcoins. But if they show up, you will have to pay a high penalty.
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 06:45:09 PM

If the IRS can find evidence that you are not reporting all of your income then they will fine you and potentially press criminal charges against you. It is always advisable to follow the law as the ramifications of breaking the law are often great.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: