Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:13:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ann] CoinDL - Buy with Bitcoin: Now only 1% fee on Coupon & Gift Codes  (Read 21532 times)
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:29:28 PM

Because... why? Smiley

There's just no incentive for weex to release this information.

I suspect we're talking < 1000 BTC, certainly less than 10000 BTC since launch anyway.

Given some time and healthy growth, it could make sense to puff one's feathers
and show off with "One million BTC powered downloads served" or something.

But for a low volume business with small transactions: Nope.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:14:54 PM

I love the initiative, but it would be great if you could rate and review items and sort by rate, etc.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 06:19:51 PM

I suspect we're talking < 1000 BTC, certainly less than 10000 BTC since launch anyway.

Not sure why you would think the community is that small.

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:10:26 PM

After todays visit, I bought the Alco album. Nice!  Smiley The album downloaded as "alco.zip"

Suggestion: Change the name of the the downloaded object to something like "CoinDL-author-product.zip"

For example: "CoinDL-Justin_B_Porter-Keys_of_Life.zip"

I figure it's sort of easy to delete a file named "alco.zip" or "wallpaper.zip" by accident.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 09:45:48 PM

Have you tried .wav with .7z compression? 7z can go to very high ratios, at a mild cost of CPU time. I just tried it on a .wav sound effect I had lying around, I got 33% compression. Longer files generally get better compression.
I have not located a utility that will do 7-zip on OS X. The canonical 7-zip.exe seems to be Windows-only.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:00:21 PM

Have you tried .wav with .7z compression? 7z can go to very high ratios, at a mild cost of CPU time. I just tried it on a .wav sound effect I had lying around, I got 33% compression. Longer files generally get better compression.
I have not located a utility that will do 7-zip on OS X. The canonical 7-zip.exe seems to be Windows-only.
http://7-zip.org/download.html shows several user-provided mac ports, although none from the official authors.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:33:19 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2012, 01:46:04 AM by honest bob

I'm waiting for my application to be approved.

Some of my friends formed a folk-rock band, and recorded an album. They sound sort of like a grittier version of the Avett Brothers. Or maybe more like Bob Dylan. They're no longer together, but two of them, including the frontman, just started recording and performing under a different name.

Anyway, I'll upload it under "pay what you want" whenever I get cleared. It's on itunes too.

Here's a music video they threw together once for a contest (no, it didn't win, but a great song).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sru8-a3_BfQ&feature=related

Edit: the member who manages their sales is my roommate. Proceeds go to the band members.

2nd Edit: My app has been approved. Turns out, I only have .m4a files, so I'll have to hassle my roommate for some .mp3's when he gets back into town.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:50:43 PM

Because... why? Smiley

There's just no incentive for weex to release this information.

I would like to follow the beat and pulse of the community by tracking economic activities. It's a shame that those information are considered business secrets.

Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 04:34:43 AM

After todays visit, I bought the Alco album. Nice!  Smiley
As did I.  As I've been in-and-out of the Bitcoin scene for months now, I was not aware that this site even existed until 20 minutes ago, when I came upon it via BitVisitor.  Dunno why I even use BitVisitor since it pays out maybe a penny at most per 5-minute website visit, but this time I'm glad I did since it introduced me to CoinDL, and this album.  I'm not exactly a music buff, but the closest thing I can compare it to is the entirety of the album "The Hazards of Love" by The Decemberists.  Either way, I liked what I heard in the previews, so I bought it.  Wouldn't have heard of them at all if it wasn't for Bitcoin Cheesy

This site, at least from my cursory glance at it, appears to be one of those perfect applications of Bitcoin, as a sort of replacement for iTunes for those willing to accept Bitcoin as payment, and going after the indie music scene is a fantastic idea for that.  I'll comment more once I peruse the site more to see what else people have to offer.

CoinDL here actually makes me excited to spend Bitcoins on actual goods and services again rather than treating it like a stock, much the same way that BitcoinTorrentz does.
weex (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1102

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 07:04:45 AM

2nd Edit: My app has been approved. Turns out, I only have .m4a files, so I'll have to hassle my roommate for some .mp3's when he gets back into town.

m4a is a container format and inside them may be audio encoded either lossy or lossless. If the files are large enough to be lossless, feel free to upload them and we'll encode them to MP3 320kbps. If they are smaller they are likely already compressed in which case it's best to wait until you obtain the tracks in mp3 format.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 07:11:12 AM

I love the initiative, but it would be great if you could rate and review items and sort by rate, etc.

Noted.

After todays visit, I bought the Alco album. Nice!  Smiley The album downloaded as "alco.zip"

Suggestion: Change the name of the the downloaded object to something like "CoinDL-author-product.zip"
This is a great idea. The better id of files is nice as well as a little branding!
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 07:18:59 AM

m4a is a container format and inside them may be audio encoded either lossy or lossless. If the files are large enough to be lossless, feel free to upload them and we'll encode them to MP3 320kbps. If they are smaller they are likely already compressed in which case it's best to wait until you obtain the tracks in mp3 format.

They are at 256 kbps, must have been a CD rip.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 07:24:40 AM

After todays visit, I bought the Alco album. Nice!  Smiley
As did I.  As I've been in-and-out of the Bitcoin scene for months now, I was not aware that this site even existed until 20 minutes ago, when I came upon it via BitVisitor.  Dunno why I even use BitVisitor since it pays out maybe a penny at most per 5-minute website visit, but this time I'm glad I did since it introduced me to CoinDL, and this album.  I'm not exactly a music buff, but the closest thing I can compare it to is the entirety of the album "The Hazards of Love" by The Decemberists.  Either way, I liked what I heard in the previews, so I bought it.  Wouldn't have heard of them at all if it wasn't for Bitcoin Cheesy

This site, at least from my cursory glance at it, appears to be one of those perfect applications of Bitcoin, as a sort of replacement for iTunes for those willing to accept Bitcoin as payment, and going after the indie music scene is a fantastic idea for that.  I'll comment more once I peruse the site more to see what else people have to offer.

CoinDL here actually makes me excited to spend Bitcoins on actual goods and services again rather than treating it like a stock, much the same way that BitcoinTorrentz does.
Bitvisitor has been driving quite a bit of traffic to the site and paying out of their own pocket. It'll be interesting to see what sort of residual impact they will have had if/when they stop. So thanks to them for leading you here and thanks to you for the testimonial.

About Alco, I kid you not, I listened to them in the shower this morning. Having enjoyed the album several times it sort of makes you wonder about the entire industry. There's just not enough time for a person to weed through everything themselves. I have no doubt there are a thousand hidden gems that are waiting to be discovered. If CoinDL can help do that, that's a huge bonus on top of everything else Bitcoin has to offer.

It is a pleasure helping creative folks lead not just with their works but with how they distribute them.
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 11:38:47 PM

i can't find the way to make the price of my stuff as "pay as you want", any idea?

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 02:18:34 AM

i can't find the way to make the price of my stuff as "pay as you want", any idea?

Please email info@coindl.com with the item id and we'll confirm before setting that option.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 10:29:01 PM

I wonder why there is no preview here while there obviously is a preview available as can be seen here.

Bug?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 11:19:41 PM

Yes, this is a bug. The album has been processed for individual song purchase so it's fixed now.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 12:13:25 AM

Yes, this is a bug. The album has been processed for individual song purchase so it's fixed now.

ok, so now the album is pay what you want and there really seems to be no lower limit (tested with 10 satoshi or so) and the single songs all have a price. I guess it's quite good to have this combination as it hits for a targeted average price but somehow I fell like this actually is a bug?

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 12:44:18 AM

ok, so now the album is pay what you want and there really seems to be no lower limit (tested with 10 satoshi or so) and the single songs all have a price. I guess it's quite good to have this combination as it hits for a targeted average price but somehow I fell like this actually is a bug?
It's not a bug per se as it's working as intended. It's really a matter of the seller's preference but at first blush it doesn't seem to make sense for a buyer to want to buy only one or a few songs for a certain price when they can easily just get the whole album.

If you can point to another example of Pay What You Want where the individual songs are also Pay What You Want ( or if you feel strongly enough about it ) we can go ahead and make that the policy. It would be good to hear from at least one other PWYW seller though before some global change is made.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 01:19:23 AM

It's not a bug per se as it's working as intended. It's really a matter of the seller's preference but at first blush it doesn't seem to make sense for a buyer to want to buy only one or a few songs for a certain price when they can easily just get the whole album.

If you can point to another example of Pay What You Want where the individual songs are also Pay What You Want ( or if you feel strongly enough about it ) we can go ahead and make that the policy. It would be good to hear from at least one other PWYW seller though before some global change is made.

woops, I'm not a seller yet. I only get people to your site and therefore try to understand it and report things that look counter-intuitive. If you do it like others do it, then I'm sure it's fine Smiley

ɃɃ
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: