Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:31:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ann] CoinDL - Buy with Bitcoin: Now only 1% fee on Coupon & Gift Codes  (Read 21532 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 01:36:43 AM

weex: do you check your email regularly? Or do I have to pester you everytime?

I politely waited a day before pestering you.

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 10:09:39 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2012, 10:51:26 PM by Stephen Gornick

CoinDL got soooo much publicity on Monday with the "iTunes for Bitcoin" Hypebot article, yet there still are less than two dozen music uploads.

This is going to be a chicken and egg problem, that will only slowly gain traction.  

A variety of content is needed, even if you need to pre-pay artists for their listings!

On usability, when adding a wallpaper I needed to create a resized copy of the original to use as thumbnail.  Can't CoinDL do the resize by itself?  Seems like anyone uploading a wallpaper would only have the full size available.

Incidentally, had a sale on my first item that I listed.   Very cool!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 10:33:39 PM

This is going to be a chicken and egg problem, that will only slowly gain traction. 

That's the whole issue of the bitcoin economy. We gottach keep existing business alive, keep new business going in, minimize business shutting down.

Slow growth until we hit the sweet spot when everthing goes BLAM!

In the meantime, bitcoiners ought to be patience and keep the light on.

RaggedMonk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 10:47:05 PM

In viewing the new releases, it is not obvious what type of media each item is.  Is the entry a music download or a photo, a video or a ringtone?

Also, if I could add a filter by to see only new releases for a specific type of media (e.g., music items only) that would be useful.

+1.  For every item, you should display the filetype (.mp4 or .avi) and filesize.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 10:49:30 PM

I've emailed a buddy musician of mine to see if he's interested in putting any music up.  He does some pretty hardcore stuff at times...
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 11:34:06 PM

You're just not gonna do it one musician at a time.

CoinDL needs to approach music clearinghouses, MP3.com and other entities that can offer a huge libraries of music.  Because CoinDL is a startup, presumably you would have to give up a big cut of the per-download price, to avoid paying large up-front charges for such bulk library purchases.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 11:41:34 PM

CoinDL needs to approach music clearinghouses, MP3.com and other entities that can offer a huge libraries of music.  Because CoinDL is a startup, presumably you would have to give up a big cut of the per-download price, to avoid paying large up-front charges for such bulk library purchases.
I agree, but at the very least, having some indie-musicians on the site can show bigger entities that it is a viable and workable model.
weex (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1102

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 02:26:42 AM

In viewing the new releases, it is not obvious what type of media each item is.  Is the entry a music download or a photo, a video or a ringtone?

Also, if I could add a filter by to see only new releases for a specific type of media (e.g., music items only) that would be useful.

+1.  For every item, you should display the filetype (.mp4 or .avi) and filesize.

The category is now displayed on the New releases page and for related items for each item. I would encourage suppliers to mention their filesize and filetype in their item descriptions until an automated way to do it is coded.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 04:57:33 AM

I agree, but at the very least, having some indie-musicians on the site can show bigger entities that it is a viable and workable model.

I'm pleased with our progress so far with over 80 items available, over 30 suppliers registered and 2000 visits in the first week. This is with a site and service that have come virtually out of nowhere.

As you can tell from the suggestions, we're far from polished and have quite a bit of work to do before any significantly large business would consider partnering with us. For them it will be not just a matter of, "Oh hey Bitcoin, gimme some of that!" They will want to know that we can be trusted, the size of the market that will be opening up to them and to what extent folks are ready to buy.

Before that time, we'll be improving the site steadily and supporting suppliers as best we can with a range of tools to help them sell their digital wares.

If you want to help the site buying something is a good start. Even better is to mention coinDL to a friend that you've got on IM or the phone and buy something for them while they watch (they can IM or email you the address and amount and the process should work just as fast).

-weex
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 05:24:40 AM

If you want to help the site buying something is a good start. Even better is to mention coinDL to a friend that you've got on IM or the phone and buy something for them while they watch (they can IM or email you the address and amount and the process should work just as fast).

-weex

In all seriousness, is email a horrible way for you to interact with you? I am still waiting for your response. Don't have any digital goods I can sell on the site, but I can code.

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 05:37:56 AM

kiba, you have been emailed.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 06:46:43 AM

kiba: You wouldn't make a good politician.
apetersson

Activity: 668

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 09:22:01 AM

i wonder - is it ok to sell public domain audio for a fee? from a legal perspective it should be ok, but what does the TOS of coindl say about this?

i have noticed that there was at least one upload of librivox.

to get a nice starting inventory for coindl, someone could gather, catalogue, keyword, proper ID3 tag public domain work, and offer them for minimal fees (say 0.1 BTC)

also, one more suggestion that might involve some serious programming: when downloading multiple files the site should offer a consolidated QR code where you can pay for all items at once, and multiple files should come as a download simultanously
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 10:11:25 AM

Go to music program forums and tell their users they can earn bitcoins by selling their music.

You will reach lots of musicians some of those are kickass.

Programs such as:

FLStudio
Renoise
Energy XT
Reason
Logic
Qbase

etc

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 04:48:07 PM

i wonder - is it ok to sell public domain audio for a fee? from a legal perspective it should be ok, but what does the TOS of coindl say about this?

i have noticed that there was at least one upload of librivox.

to get a nice starting inventory for coindl, someone could gather, catalogue, keyword, proper ID3 tag public domain work, and offer them for minimal fees (say 0.1 BTC)
This would be fine, as long as you are legally licensed to sell the works you can put it on coinDL. To avoid spamming the catalog, it might be best to try it with a smaller number of items as a test and see how the sales go before diving into a massive project.
also, one more suggestion that might involve some serious programming: when downloading multiple files the site should offer a consolidated QR code where you can pay for all items at once, and multiple files should come as a download simultanously
Thanks for this idea, Yankee mentioned it before and I think it's a good one which we'll look to implement soon.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 04:50:40 PM

Go to music program forums and tell their users they can earn bitcoins by selling their music.

You will reach lots of musicians some of those are kickass.

Programs such as:

FLStudio
Renoise
Energy XT
Reason
Logic
Qbase

etc
This is a great idea istar. Do you happen to be established in any of those forums or know any Bitcoiners who are?
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 04:52:21 PM

May link this to a site where I sell audio. I'll be sure to check it out!

What do you get when you cross dominoes and The Matrix?
<A dominatrix!>
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 09:00:29 PM

You can now tweet your favorite items from item pages.

For example: https://www.coindl.com/page/item/72
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 05:44:21 PM

What if, for example, a band had their own website and they wanted to sell their songs for bitcoin from their site.

Could you act as a bitcoin payment processor for them?  Could they just paste some code, that you would provide,
into their own website pages to allow them to do something like that? 

I also know others, like photographers, that have their own sites and might be interested in something like this, as
long as it wasn't too much hassle to setup themselves. They already have their own website and would prefer to
keep visitors there rather than pointing them to some other (less attractive, less organized) website where they
would have to search and dig for the content they wanted to sell.

Thanks

p.s. I think the prices people are asking for stuff at this site are too high by a factor of 10.

I think with the reduced disposable income people have these days they are reluctant to pay much for music (etc.)
especially from non-established artists. 

Think about it people. Is it better to try and sell a song to a few people for $1 or to hundreds of people for 5 cents?

Bitcoin microtransactions makes such equations work! 

amincd

Activity: 772

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 06:33:15 PM

Quote from: Portnoy
What if, for example, a band had their own website and they wanted to sell their songs for bitcoin from their site.

Could you act as a bitcoin payment processor for them?  Could they just paste some code, that you would provide,
into their own website pages to allow them to do something like that?

This would be great. Also having a cost per sale affiliate program for third parties (like btctip.com) to sell coindl mp3s right on their site would be useful.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: