Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:42:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase just told me I'm not eligible to purchase BTC. Because the price is up?  (Read 5307 times)
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:05:22 AM

It doesn't look like they canceled your order because the price went up, they canceled it because their internal risk models showed you as being a high risk customer. They likely do not take price into consideration when deciding if they are going to cancel a transaction as this would be negative to their reputation. With that being said I would highly doubt that a lot of people are going to be complaining that they canceled their order when the market turned against them.

No disrespect, but this is about the most lame answer I have ever seen. You can't accuse the customer being a risk in this case, the risk is all on the back of coinbase and them not wanting to take ANY type of loss that might be due to BTC price fluctuations . So they picked a business and want o limit their risk by screwing the customer, its that SIMPLE . if I put in a ACH transfer, and my bank accepts it the deal should be done . Its not like the customer didn't have the money . no where in this case do I see where the customer did not have the money or was declined by his bank. Simple answer, work local and buy BTC local via craigslist or something similar . This business model coinbase is using is from and era that has long since died .. Person to Person transitions is the best way to deal with this .
If coinbase did not properly manage their risk then they would need to charge a much higher spread to their customers. It is these risk models that allow people to buy bitcoin from them quickly and without having to pay a huge spread over other ways to buy bitcoin. If I had to guess they probably actually end up canceling more orders when the price is declining because people are most likely going to try to use their bank to get out of a trade because they have lost money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thisbtcguy

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:33:14 AM

From experience, Coinbase automatically flags your account when anything fishy happens. I have had this happen three times now. First Chase closed my account without notice due to Bitcoin dealings. Then Wells Fargo. Then PNC. Each time Coinbase attempted to execute a trade I had placed and the bank account was frozen, my Coinbase account was automatically frozen as well. I then had to contact customer support via e-mail and explain the situation to get my account reinstated. There are several things that could cause your account to get flagged though. This is all automatic and has nothing to do with the price.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 09:58:36 PM

I have had this happen three times now. First Chase closed my account without notice due to Bitcoin dealings. Then Wells Fargo. Then PNC. Each time Coinbase attempted to execute a trade I had placed and the bank account was frozen, my Coinbase account was automatically frozen as well.

Wow that's quite a bit of bank account closures. How large were your transactions? It has nothing to do with btc price, but the fiat amount you're trying to transfer will make or break you. It's my experience that once your bank account gets closed, you're actually banned from that bank.

bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:45:52 PM

A few months ago I was selling quite a few bitcoins, they had some sort of error, it didnt say it was denied on coinbase, it just showed that they took my 20 something coins and never transfered the money to the bank. After a few hours of talking with their customer support, they credited the coins back to me.. im glad they did, the price went up by about 60- 80 dollars.. so that little error of theirs saved me a lot of money...

But I have heard from many people how they will cancel orders if the price goes against them.. But you would think it would go both ways, they may lose a lot from a seller, but they should make it up from a buyer.. I have no idea how coinbase works, all I know is that I haven't had an issue with them but have heard of many horror stories....
thisbtcguy

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 11:47:06 PM

I have had this happen three times now. First Chase closed my account without notice due to Bitcoin dealings. Then Wells Fargo. Then PNC. Each time Coinbase attempted to execute a trade I had placed and the bank account was frozen, my Coinbase account was automatically frozen as well.

Wow that's quite a bit of bank account closures. How large were your transactions? It has nothing to do with btc price, but the fiat amount you're trying to transfer will make or break you. It's my experience that once your bank account gets closed, you're actually banned from that bank.

Had several cash deposits and withdrawals in the thousands combined with activity from "coinbase.com." I found the magic recipe for getting your bank account closed Wink
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 12:04:53 AM

From experience, Coinbase automatically flags your account when anything fishy happens. I have had this happen three times now. First Chase closed my account without notice due to Bitcoin dealings. Then Wells Fargo. Then PNC. Each time Coinbase attempted to execute a trade I had placed and the bank account was frozen, my Coinbase account was automatically frozen as well. I then had to contact customer support via e-mail and explain the situation to get my account reinstated. There are several things that could cause your account to get flagged though. This is all automatic and has nothing to do with the price.
What likely happened after the first time is that coinbase somehow flagged the transaction as high risk to your bank who then went and closed your account to prevent risk themselves. This would cause the coinbase transaction to not go through, making you look even more risky in their eyes.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 02:21:25 AM

Had several cash deposits and withdrawals in the thousands combined with activity from "coinbase.com." I found the magic recipe for getting your bank account closed Wink

You were buying btc, so why did you have cash depots AND withdraw at the same time? Large cash amounts like this trigger money laundering to the banks. If they cannot follow you money other than coinbase transaction, they'll just close your account just to be on the safe side.

thisbtcguy

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 04:14:41 AM

You were buying btc, so why did you have cash depots AND withdraw at the same time? Large cash amounts like this trigger money laundering to the banks. If they cannot follow you money other than coinbase transaction, they'll just close your account just to be on the safe side.

I had large cash withdrawals as well because I would also purchase BTC directly from miners by depositing cash into their bank accounts. Definitely way too much cash flowing in and out and it got flagged. They never give a direct reason. All three banks just gave a similar rendition of: "We no longer deem it mutually beneficial to maintain a relationship with you."
zetaray

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:49:14 AM

I have not dealt with coinbase before, so I have no personal experience of this, but I remember reading coinbase canceling orders a few times on this forum. Is this a widespread issue? Looks like they are cheating those who buys cheap.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇