Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:19:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: tom's hardware including Bitcoin Mining in 2012 GPGPU benchmarks  (Read 6863 times)
BlackPrapor

Activity: 626
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 09:13:46 AM

Since their BTC benchmarks are so untrue and it seems they have little will to do anything to inform themselves to correct this, it makes me wonder if indeed all their other benchmarks could be of the same rubbish quality Roll Eyes

Once I compared TH with some russian hardware reviewers, like overclockers.ru, 3dnews.ru and etc. It largely depends on the author, and all articles are biased to some extent. All I can say is that TH is as much biased, as any other sourse. If you're lucky enough to find a high quality writer (aka more or less objective), just stick to them  Grin

There is no place like 127.0.0.1
In blockchain we trust

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chiropteran

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 06:18:28 PM

Anybody on here also members of Overclockers.com or [H]? Do they have Bitcoin subforums yet? Those guys are big fans of crunching projects so it'd be good to have them on board.
overclockers.com hates bitcoin.

Why? Its been a while since I was active on there.

Not sure if there was a mixup or it's just two different sites that both "hate" bitcoins, but I found this at overclock.net forums-

http://www.overclock.net/t/1104285/owai-why-is-bitcoin-discussion-not-allowed

A few reasons I know
1 Mining which involves profit and often recruiting to make it worth it.
2 It is not an internationally recognised currency
Quote:
6.3. Currency: Only internationally recognized currency may be traded with. Any synthetic form such as 'BitCoin' is NOT recognized here and and not allowed here.
http://www.overclock.net/marketplace...rules-wip.html
I know that is the marketplace rules but
Quote:
These rules supersede all previously posted rules and are part of the Terms of Service of Overclock.net.
We also don't allow any hint of it.
Any posts referencing, hinting at etc should be reported
Any further questons should be directed to Chipp or The_Manual
Now we have that cleared up any further threads/posts by anyone will be punished

Of course that is all utterly ridiculous and stupid, but that is the reasoning they use.

Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 07:25:54 PM

Of course that is all utterly ridiculous and stupid, but that is the reasoning they use.
That's fine, they'll lose users to a new site that will do serious mining benchmark  Wink

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 08:30:48 PM

That's fine, they'll lose users to a new site that will do serious mining benchmark  Wink
And pray tell, which new site is this?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Seal
Donator

Activity: 849
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2012, 12:54:15 AM

A few reasons I know
1 Mining which involves profit and often recruiting to make it worth it.

Recruiting to make it worth it!? In real terms... recruiting more members will raise the difficulty making it worth less?? The only increase will come from more mainstream use. Idiots. Maybe I'll go post something on their discussion boards as I have a pretty high post count with them.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
Nim

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 03:49:57 AM

Since their BTC benchmarks are so untrue and it seems they have little will to do anything to inform themselves to correct this, it makes me wonder if indeed all their other benchmarks could be of the same rubbish quality Roll Eyes
That would be a very poor conclusion. Every benchmark shows the result from running a given program. They aren't trying to show what the fastest hash rate is; they're trying to show what the hash rate is for that hardware with that program with no tweaking. It would be a ridiculous waste of time for them to try a bunch of different programs and settings to try to tweak the result for every single piece of hardware that they test. Absolute values aren't important. Comparative values are what is important. And if the programs or drivers are optimized to work better on certain hardware, that would be nothing new or unusual in the benchmarking world.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 04:02:13 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2012, 03:59:36 PM by DeathAndTaxes

They have 6990 performing worse than 6970.  None of the values have any relevence to real world.  The amount of error varies from card to card making even relative comparisons invalid.

The "benchmark" is beyond useless and beyond any defense.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2012, 06:18:13 AM

And pray tell, which new site is this?
I dind't say there was a site doing it.

But usually demand drives offer, so, if GPU mining will be still relevant in the near future (thing I doubt) I bet someone will pop up with decent and useful benchmarking.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 04:09:13 PM

What?  Stable algorithm that never changes?  One kernel update and the results can be 10MH/s faster or slower.  One wrong setting on intensity, worksize, etc and the result can be way off.  Also, what happens if during the test the mining server or network in between gets flaky?  Then the results aren't stable.  I'm all for review sites showing the hashing power of the cards to the public, but it can't be considered a 100% stable, no variables test like they are claiming.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: