Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:37:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Service "snapCard" - purchase anything online with BTC?  (Read 5783 times)
dancingnancy

Activity: 661
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:38:23 PM

That sucks, because I wanted to use their service again it worked so well :/  Im sorry that you got your stuff taken. 
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
UPENtXF

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:41:27 PM

They took the money and ran.

Whois info for "snapcard.com":

Admin Name: HOLST-RONESS, ERIK
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: 2 rue du Chateau
Admin City: GENEVA
Admin State/Province: GE
Admin Postal Code: 1203
Admin Country: CH
Admin Phone: 00 41 22 340 7638
Admin Fax: 00 41 22 340 7643
Admin Email: erikhr@mac.com
This is Switzerland. Financial fraud is dealt with strictly.
It's not the same company, as was discussed earlier: that was probably red flag #1 - they use the SnapCard name, but are probably not connected to it.
Their whois is private:

Domain Name: JOINSNAPCARD.COM
   Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
   Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
   Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
   Name Server: SHNS1.SVWH.NET
   Name Server: SHNS2.SVWH.NET
   Updated Date: 24-oct-2013
   Creation Date: 01-oct-2013
   Expiration Date: 01-oct-2014

Latest update is that the recipient called the 443 area code number, listed on orders as the customer service. It seems to be somewhere in Maryland, but of course the user could be anywhere.
A person named Yani, who is the "cofounder" answered, apologized for the trouble and offered to reorder the item.
The recipient wisely declined that, and asked for a refund to the address of origin.
Yani said that would be done "within an hour, once he gets back to the office",   Roll Eyes and that the refund might even be more than original due to the rate flux.

About 24-hours later, naturally, there is no refund, nor any updates from "the cofounder".

I wonder if it's the same gang that ran BitSpend, coming around to reload with Btc.

For me, the moral of the story is no more spending btc through middlemen, unless it's a 3rd-party escrow. It's much safer to convert btc to paper through localbitcoins or coinbase, and spend it through the evil banks and credit card middle-men. At least one has some recourse against them.

Also, by doing that, one is taxed at capital-gains rate, which for the average person will be less than ordinary income rate. If you exchange bitcoins for goods directly, that's barter, and taxed at ordinary income rates:
http://www.bitcointax.info/

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
https://bisq.network/
UPENtXF

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:39:00 PM

Shit, I see.  Yeah, that is an odd situation.  I was wondering if this would possibly happen, especially when you auto convert your coins from BitPay, you are totally reliant on SnapCard to make sure everything goes right, or you will never see anything again. 

I am wondering if this is an isolated incident or happened to others?  I am also interested to see if SnapCard makes the person whole after this fiasco.
Was it BitPay that they used to process or CoinBase? That's probably the only place to seek recourse.

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
dancingnancy

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 11:01:13 PM

Shit, I see.  Yeah, that is an odd situation.  I was wondering if this would possibly happen, especially when you auto convert your coins from BitPay, you are totally reliant on SnapCard to make sure everything goes right, or you will never see anything again. 

I am wondering if this is an isolated incident or happened to others?  I am also interested to see if SnapCard makes the person whole after this fiasco.
Was it BitPay that they used to process or CoinBase? That's probably the only place to seek recourse.

Well, I don't know what that person used, but I used BitPay.  They just send you an address to send to BitPay from your own personal wallet.
UPENtXF

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:33:19 PM

Well, I don't know what that person used, but I used BitPay.  They just send you an address to send to BitPay from your own personal wallet.
Thanks! It was probably BitPay then. The btc recipient sets the processor.

Last I heard, about 48-hours later, still no refund and no news from "the cofounder".

I thought I read somewhere this morning though that they are looking for a paid intern. (Can't find where I saw the article right now.) Perhaps, they need some free money for that.  Cheesy

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 07:18:31 PM

Registrant Name: Registration Private
Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com
Registrant Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
Registrant City: Scottsdale
Registrant State/Province: Arizona
Registrant Postal Code: 85260
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Phone: (480) 624-2599
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: (480) 624-2598
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: JOINSNAPCARD.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
If you need to sue them, start by suing DomainsByProxy. They are legally the owner of the domain. As soon as they get the court filing, they will fall all over themselves to have the correct identity of the real registrant substituted for their own. This is a standard procedure in litigation involving "private registration".
millsdmb

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 09:29:07 PM

snapcard is far from a scam, at least they came through for me. They are trying to reach OP:
---
Really sorry, but we're trying to address a user concern who has claimed to not have yet received a refund from us for a product of $800. I want to address this with them, but can't post on the bitcointalk forum.
Trying to speak to them and sort it out but can't contribute on that forum.
I wanted to clarify, we've never scammed anyone, nor do we intend on doing so.
Every person who has had a disappointing experience with us has either had their product purchase fees waived, or in some cases, received the product for free.
We're trying extremely hard to separate ourselves from any scams associated with BTC or anything.
The case in question we've been in communication with the customer promptly responding to the emails as soon as possible, we've provided receipt for the transaction refund we issued to them but we still want to resolve all of this. Please feel free to bring this to the attention on the BTC thread so we can help resolve this please.
Thank you and Happy Holidays.
----
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1twdc2/snapcard_addressing_user_claim_of_no_refund_and/

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

so is this legit or scam?

dancingnancy

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:54:56 PM

It worked for me, I wanted to use them again, tbh.  Not sure why the person hasn't come back on the board to update his problem.
aggster

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:16:01 PM

worked for me, will use again
pr0d1gy

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:04:21 AM

Tried the service, and its not delivering as promised. Says 20 mins to make an order, but it took 2+ hours for a $5 walmart e-gift card. No replies via email, no replies via chat. I guess it did "work" for one item I bought, but not if your wanting it instantly. Had to cancel a few items cause it was taking longer than 3+ hours... Sounds like a good idea, but seems like they might be short on manpower or something. Don't expect this to work like Gyft, lol.

Set Escrow
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522
Merit: 1000

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 05:51:02 AM

So all in all it's like Overstock. I personally like the idea but it already exists in a much larger form.

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██
                                                               ███   ██
                                                      ██      ███  ███
                                                     ███     ██  ███  ██
    ▄▄████▄▄    █▌                                         ███  ██  ██
  ██▀       ▀▀  █▌                                   ▀▀   ██▌███  ███ ██
▄█              █▌  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄   ▄   ▄▄▄█▄████████ ████   
█▌              ███▀.   ██    ██     ▀███   ███▀
   ████████████████      ▐█
█               ██       █   ██        ██   ██
     █████████▌██████       ▐█
█▌              █▌       █▌  █         ██   ██
      ██████████▀   █       ▐█
 █▄             █▌       █▌
█████████████████████████████████▌     █       ██
  ▀██▄     ▄██  ██
████████▌██████████████████████████████████     ██▄   ▄███
     ▀████▀▀████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████               ██▄▀▀██    ▀▀▀  ██
   ███▀▀▄▄▄█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██████▄     ██
 ███▄▄██████████▀                                                 ▀█████▀▀
                                                                        ███

█████████████████████████████
Program

❤️
Give Hope To Everyone
━━━━━━━» $1 Is A Big Thing For Them

❤️
subseaguru

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

I know the voices in my head aren't real.

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:36:27 PM

used them 2 times and both times they took to long to process and i lost out on the purchase. they didnt even bother to say anything to me until i emailed them asking about the tracking number for shipment. plus, im still waiting for my refund for the second screw up. it would be a great service if it wasnt so horribly slow.

WhitePhantom

Activity: 348

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:31:06 AM

Looks like they shut down their bookmarklet service to work on merchant integration instead.  This makes me really sad.  Sad  I LOVED SnapCard!  I was able to literally buy absolutely anything online with BTC.  Other than a few delays, which I'm sure were due to them being inundated with more orders than they could handle, I never had any problems receiving the products I ordered.  I will miss them.

Now the only alternative I can find is Brawker.  I'd probably get scammed like I did on BitMit when I bought an Amazon gift card that had already been used.  No thanks.

Edit: Just discovered all4btc.com...Maybe worthwhile.  Checking it out now...
Dan Dascalescu

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 04:11:29 AM

Now the only alternative I can find is Brawker.

Brawker shut down in April 2015. Their website still lets you create an account, so don't waste your time.
bitnanigans

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 12:33:14 PM

Couldn't they have used a different name? There's a site at snapcard.com which doesn't seem operational, and it's hard to tell if this is legit or not.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: