News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will $7.20 be the 2012 high?
Yes
No

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will $7.20 be the 2012 high?  (Read 6175 times)
mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 09:11:30 AM

I'd dare say MOST btcs are bought by people who do not price the eventual inflation rate drop into their strategies.

Not quite sure what you're getting at with this statement -- I am genuinely curious:  What do you think are the implications is most BTC are bought by people who do not price the eventual inflation rate drop into their strategies?

Apologies to OP if this is off-topic.

I think many people are underinvested and keeping that way, and I think the inflation rate halving will come as a surprise to many. Thinking in a commodity mindset (my opinion is that bitcoin is closer to a commodity than to a currency), production is going to drop to half of what it's now. Although of course demand for bitcoin is very elastic compared to e.g. demand for oil, and most BTCs are never truly "consumed", halving of production is going to tip the supply/demand scale significantly.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 09:21:52 AM

I'd dare say MOST btcs are bought by people who do not price the eventual inflation rate drop into their strategies.

Not quite sure what you're getting at with this statement -- I am genuinely curious:  What do you think are the implications is most BTC are bought by people who do not price the eventual inflation rate drop into their strategies?

Apologies to OP if this is off-topic.

I think many people are underinvested and keeping that way, and I think the inflation rate halving will come as a surprise to many. Thinking in a commodity mindset (my opinion is that bitcoin is closer to a commodity than to a currency), production is going to drop to half of what it's now. Although of course demand for bitcoin is very elastic compared to e.g. demand for oil, and most BTCs are never truly "consumed", halving of production is going to tip the supply/demand scale significantly.

I see; thank you.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 03:10:58 PM

I think price will double when the reward cuts in half in December.

Supply halfs, demand same so price doubles.

Buying and holding all I can in the meantime.

I would expect no less than $10 in December for sure.

If it is one good thing that SoiledCon showed us, it is this. When block reward was cut price immediately rose.

I don't think people already priced in this decrease beforehand ...
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 03:41:03 PM

I don't think people already priced in this decrease beforehand ...

You have no idea about game theory do you?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 06:59:46 AM

Let's say the block reward change occurs on December 9th, 2012.  On December 8th there are 10,492,800 BTC issued and another 7,200 will be issued that day.  The "supply' comes from those 7,200 that miners don't keep plus a certain amount of the 10,492.800 BTC that those holding them are wishing to sell at whatever the current price is.

So demand does not drop in half, only the amount of currency inflation is what drops by half (from 7,200 BTC to 3,600 BTC).

Incidentally, in a market where the commodity is scarce, a doubling in demand causes the price to rise by way more than double.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 10:54:59 PM

Let's say the block reward change occurs on December 9th, 2012.  On December 8th there are 10,492,800 BTC issued and another 7,200 will be issued that day.  The "supply' comes from those 7,200 that miners don't keep plus a certain amount of the 10,492.800 BTC that those holding them are wishing to sell at whatever the current price is.

So demand does not drop in half, only the amount of currency inflation is what drops by half (from 7,200 BTC to 3,600 BTC).

Incidentally, in a market where the commodity is scarce, a doubling in demand causes the price to rise by way more than double.

You are forgetting the effect this news has on people Wink

Just like SoiledCon when King RealScam announced the change to cut reward the price doubled in the same day as people bought up the coins !
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 11:34:22 PM

Just like SoiledCon when King RealScam announced the change to cut reward the price doubled in the same day as people bought up the coins !

But it's very easy to double the price of something worth in the tenths or hundredths of a cent...
I see the way they do it over at BTC-e. Pretty much a daily routine on whichever flavor it happened to be that week.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 01:57:31 AM

But it's very easy to double the price of something worth in the tenths or hundredths of a cent...
I see the way they do it over at BTC-e. Pretty much a daily routine on whichever flavor it happened to be that week.

Good point, plus announcing you are changing it is very different from the BTC situation.  It is well known and will be mostly priced in by the time we get there.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 04:15:42 PM

Just curious what you folks think.

Dont think so...
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 04:19:52 PM

Everyone who said Yes is now wrong.  Wink

High:$7.21999
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 04:26:19 PM

I think the question refers to the ballpark of $7.2. We'd have to hit a 24 hr VWAP of $7.3 for it to be a definite 'no'

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
AmazonStuff

Activity: 628

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 04:28:09 PM

Just curious what you folks think.

It will be $10+
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 04:38:30 PM

I think the question refers to the ballpark of $7.2. We'd have to hit a 24 hr VWAP of $7.3 for it to be a definite 'no'
Meh, fine.  :p
genuise

Activity: 379

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 04:42:40 PM

Will you take last 1000 BTC bought VWAP of $7.2 at gox during last 30 minutes as adequate signal?

paulie_w

Activity: 420

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 05:49:04 PM

I don't think so. There's a lot of time for various kinds of things to happen before the year is over. And, although adoption rate has slowed down (may be temporarily, may be for good), I'm fairly sure most current and potential owners of bitcoin aren't really very well versed in the technicalities of the bitcoin network, and the block reward halving will thus be a strong boost to bitcoin overall. I'd dare say MOST btcs are bought by people who do not price the eventual inflation rate drop into their strategies.

is that true? has the adoption rate slowed? where is it possible to see such data/statistics?
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 06:09:31 PM

Oh whoops, $7.23!  This is it!

(BFL)^2 < 0
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 06:16:48 PM

Oh whoops, $7.23!  This is it!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Cool
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 11:55:44 PM

Officially a new high for the year =)

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 11:56:42 PM

Failpicture is fail.  But

$7.90 FTW?
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 12:00:51 AM

proudhon is shitting his pants!

proudhon being wrong:

My unscientific gut feeling is that if we break $6.8 we keep going to $7.   Smiley

That's probably right.  I still think $7.20 will provide some significant resistance.  There's still a chance $7.20 remains the 2012 high.

Awesome, the rally seems to be slowing down, the $6 wall tripled over the last 3 hours.

I'm sure we'll see it grow into the 30,000+ size in the coming days.  I don't see the price moving beyond $6 for some time, and I still think there's a good chance we've already seen the 2012 high.

$7.2x was the 2012 high.  Deal with it.

that boat has sailed and won't be coming back for a long time

I agree.  Not this year.  I think $7.20 will be the 2012 high.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: