Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:19:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 2.0  (Read 4258 times)
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 01:37:06 PM

Why would you want to make something else, Bitcoin is all we need.
When I first found out about Bitcoin, I was struck by a quote to the effect that "money is merely the first application of Bitcoin". The block-chain concept can do far more. There are more areas that can benefit from de-centralised, trust-free consensus. I had hoped Bitcoin would evolve to address them.

It hasn't. It won't. The Bitcoin community are too conservative, and its development has become moribund. Hence the torch passes to new coins that are designed with a more flexible architecture to address more areas.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 02:08:09 PM

When I first found out about Bitcoin, I was struck by a quote to the effect that "money is merely the first application of Bitcoin". The block-chain concept can do far more. There are more areas that can benefit from de-centralised, trust-free consensus. I had hoped Bitcoin would evolve to address them.

It hasn't. It won't. The Bitcoin community are too conservative, and its development has become moribund. Hence the torch passes to new coins that are designed with a more flexible architecture to address more areas.
Please tell me how much your loved Ethereum has been developed so far?  Roll Eyes
If you complain about lack of features, take up coding and go do them yourself. Anything that these alts provide can be added to Bitcoin.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Brangdon

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 02:17:36 PM

Please tell me how much your loved Ethereum has been developed so far?  Roll Eyes
I'm not a lover of Ethereum. A look at my signature will give you a clue where my interests lie. Both the 2.0 coins in it have developed lots.

If you complain about lack of features, take up coding and go do them yourself. Anything that these alts provide can be added to Bitcoin.
I used to think that, too. They could be, but they won't be. Bitcoin will never adopt Proof of Stake, for example: I'll probably get mocked here for even suggesting it. If I were to write a Bitcoin node that supported multiple transaction types, nobody but me would run it. It'd be stuck on a lonely fork. In practice, only the core Bitcoin devs can make changes like that, and they aren't interested. They've not even fixed transaction mutability, despite it being a known problem (with known fixes) for months, if not years. All the interesting work with Bitcoin is being done on top of it, with wallets and the like, not with changes to the core.

EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2069

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 05:29:11 PM

Bitcoin 2.0 is not Bitcoin, so they belong to Alternate cryptocurrencies board.

Why didn't you move it?

~BCX~

I can only moderate Turkish board and newbie posts.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2069

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:30:31 PM

Bitcoin 2.0 is not Bitcoin, so they belong to Alternate cryptocurrencies board.

Why didn't you move it?

~BCX~

I can only moderate Turkish board and newbie posts.

Well then, I think it's pretty cool that I can legitimately advise a "Staff Member" to report that thread to a Global Moderator  Wink

Yes this should absolutely be in Alts ANN section.

~BCX~

No, this thread belongs to Meta, as I've already reported before my first post here. It's about where to put Bitcoin 2.0 discussion threads. But after a lot of off-topic replies (thread was in Bitcoin Discussion board at that time, I don't blame anybody) it turned to general Bitcoin 2.0 discussion thread. When you look at the OP, it's discussion about the Bitcoin Forum, fits Meta perfect.

You don't need to say what I should do. Wink
We are equal here.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
delulo

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:33:09 PM

What term would those who dislike the term "Bitcoin 2.0" suggest to account for projects which use blockchain technology but us it to facilitate different services than Bitcoin does? Examples for those services would be: Decentralized lottery, decentralized predictions markets etc.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 06:39:53 PM

What term would those who dislike the term "Bitcoin 2.0" suggest to account for projects which use blockchain technology but us it to facilitate different services than Bitcoin does? Examples for those services would be: Decentralized lottery, decentralized predictions markets etc.
Why not call them what they are:  enhancements and extentions to Bitcoin.

I like "bolt ons"

If you must have a snazy maketing term then possibly "Next Gen" , "G2", etc.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=752221.msg8500197#msg8500197

Just not "Bitcoin 2.0" since that indicates the next version of the actual Bitcoin protocol - and has been stated many times in this thread we have not even released "Bitcoin 1.0" yet, we are still in the beta phase at "Bitcion 0.9"

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
delulo

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:47:18 PM

Why not call them what they are:  enhancements and extentions to Bitcoin.

I like "bolt ons"

If you must have a snazy maketing term then possibly "Next Gen" , "G2", etc.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=752221.msg8500197#msg8500197

Just not "Bitcoin 2.0" since that indicates the next version of the actual Bitcoin protocol - and has been stated many times in this thread we have not even released "Bitcoin 1.0" yet, we are still in the beta phase at "Bitcion 0.9"

ust not "Bitcoin 2.0" since that indicates the next version of the actual Bitcoin protocol
This is actually true. It can be interpreted this way.

Brangdon

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 01:34:43 PM

Earlier I suggested "second generation".

Why not call them what they are:  enhancements and extentions to Bitcoin.
To me that suggests they are based on the Bitcoin source code. Most of them aren't. If they aren't, then they shouldn't mention Bitcoin at all, in my view. I tend to call them "coins" or "crypto-currencies". Most of them include something like a currency even if they aren't focussed on being money.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: