Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:55:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoind reduce memory usage?  (Read 2465 times)
sanic (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 12:53:49 PM
Last edit: August 31, 2014, 01:07:52 PM by sanic

Hello, I have a website which will be using Bitcoin to receive payments and I'm wondering how to reduce the memory usage of Bitcoind.

I have pre-generated 1,000,000 addresses (using keypool) for my website which will contain the encrypted wallet.dat with a long and random encryption key which will not be stored, written down, or memorized. I chose 1,000,000 as it is large enough not to have to worry about generating any new addresses anytime soon. On my own PC I will have the wallet.dat encrypted with a key that I know, so I could use my funds from my PC.

I have no intentions to send any Bitcoins from my website, only receive, so I require to be able to use Bitcoind's API (getreceivedbyaddress).

Bitcoind uses about 700MB of memory, which is roughly the size of the wallet.dat, so I assume it loads it into memory.

Is there any way to reduce the memory usage without reducing the amount of pre-generated keys? or any other suggestions?

PS: I would prefer not using any external services to fetch the balance or the amount received for addresses.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
azeteki

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

esotericnonsense

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 01:35:44 PM

I would not be worrying about the RAM usage really. For one, 700MB is what my client uses in general. Perhaps slightly less now, 500MB range.
1 million addresses is over 1% of all that have ever been used on the Bitcoin network.

Guessing here with my limited knowledge of the client.
bitcoind has to consider those addresses 'live', you've generated them now.
All incoming blocks will be scanned for potential transactions referencing them.

I don't think bitcoind is really the best solution for this. Sorry that I can't recommend another, though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: