Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:14:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 [1683] 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 1696 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312246 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 07:45:43 PM

I have done a long, deep and intensive research over days and weeks just in case to diversify a small part of my investments into potential interesting projects/coins. Beside ETH (which wont make any really big gains any more) and XMR I only could find IOTA interesting, while still very experimental. Everything else is damn useless bullshit I would never put a cent in. Even BTC is a bad joke from fork to fork it is becoming just an expensive, overvalued and slow altcoin with no special features.

Simply happy to be invested in XMR.

But the everything else have armies of disgruntles soldiers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 08:07:31 PM

I have done a long, deep and intensive research over days and weeks just in case to diversify a small part of my investments into potential interesting projects/coins. Beside ETH (which wont make any really big gains any more) and XMR I only could find IOTA interesting, while still very experimental. Everything else is damn useless bullshit I would never put a cent in. Even BTC is a bad joke from fork to fork it is becoming just an expensive, overvalued and slow altcoin with no special features.

Would be tough to dig deep enough into coinmarketcap.com to find spectre, but if Sarang finds it interesting, I'm at least paying attention even if it just to see if it helps Monero https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/87856/hire-mathematician-and-computational-physicist-to-join-research-team?page=&noscroll=1#post-92875

cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:14:25 PM

Bitcoin forks are a bad (and sad) joke. Still, Bitcoin is nearly 6000$ and Monero didn't keep up that good.
But this is the markets.

True, but I learned in the last 2-3 years that markets tend to correct. XMR had its first big correction from 2.50 USD to 15 USD, many were surprised.
I was not. Smiley
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:45:07 PM

Carry on, gentlemen...  Cheesy

Take four months out. Don't sell.

Until then just read between the lines ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sb9fWcJk14
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 02:22:06 AM
Last edit: October 27, 2017, 02:34:27 AM by Anon136

I did the same research and came to exactly the same conclusion. BTC, XMR, ETH and IOTA are the only ones that are interesting and XMR and IOTA are the only two that I currently have skin in.

Although I do have my eye on a future project as well https://www.metronome.io/ Blockchain agnostic, worlds first 1000 year crypto currency. It's got a good "story". It's a catchy pitch.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1101

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 02:35:08 AM

I did the same research and came to exactly the same conclusion. BTC, XMR, ETH and IOTA are the only ones that are interesting and XMR and IOTA are the only two that I currently have skin in.

Although I do have my eye on a future project as well https://www.metronome.io/ Blockchain agnostic, worlds first 1000 year crypto currency. It's got a good "story". It's a catchy pitch.

Brief look at MTN and looks like a bad joke to me. From the "owner's manual":
Some cryptocurrencies' mintage is either static or goes to zero over time – like Bitcoin1 and Litecoin2 – raising questions with economists about their long term viability. Other cryptocurrencies’ token supply is hand-stitched together in pre-ICO deals that award certain parties a vast amount of supply, resulting in those parties controlling the majority of tokens.3 Some cryptocurrencies sell out to certain parties in a pre-sale, leaving very little to the general public. Metronome attempts to fix those problems with daily auctions that provide an on-going token supply mintage, ad infinitum. An ongoing token supply mintage is theorized to provide sustainability versus other cryptocurrencies whose mintage either is or goes to zero.
They're taking a 20% premine and lord knows how many of their own ICO tokens their going to "buy" up in the presale.

From the table at the end:
BTC is famous for its contentious forks and deflationary nature. Token supply and issuance is stable, but infinite.
Garzik is a key character pushing the latest and most contentious fork. And how the fuck is MTN supposed to magically be above contentious changes to the code? Code is law? How did that work out for Ethereum.

Sorry, but I just don't see it. Looks like shit token that Garzik is trying to hype by leveraging the chaos that he has a hand elbow-deep in wrt Bitcoin.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 03:10:52 AM

Brief look at MTN and looks like a bad joke to me. From the "owner's manual":
Some cryptocurrencies' mintage is either static or goes to zero over time – like Bitcoin1 and Litecoin2 – raising questions with economists about their long term viability. Other cryptocurrencies’ token supply is hand-stitched together in pre-ICO deals that award certain parties a vast amount of supply, resulting in those parties controlling the majority of tokens.3 Some cryptocurrencies sell out to certain parties in a pre-sale, leaving very little to the general public. Metronome attempts to fix those problems with daily auctions that provide an on-going token supply mintage, ad infinitum. An ongoing token supply mintage is theorized to provide sustainability versus other cryptocurrencies whose mintage either is or goes to zero.
They're taking a 20% premine and lord knows how many of their own ICO tokens their going to "buy" up in the presale.

From the table at the end:
BTC is famous for its contentious forks and deflationary nature. Token supply and issuance is stable, but infinite.
Garzik is a key character pushing the latest and most contentious fork. And how the fuck is MTN supposed to magically be above contentious changes to the code? Code is law? How did that work out for Ethereum.

Sorry, but I just don't see it. Looks like shit token that Garzik is trying to hype by leveraging the chaos that he has a hand elbow-deep in wrt Bitcoin.

Thanks for the perspective. I can't say that I disagree with any of it. In addition to the problems you mentioned the 2% annual inflation rate makes me throw up in my mouth a little. But it's still an interesting idea and an idea that, now that its out there in the memespace, is probably going to end up attracting a lot of capital in one form or another by the time its all said and done. My thinking is that maybe MTN will end up being the Bytecoin to cryptonotes Monero but first mover advantage is a powerful thing and probably shouldn't be dismissed lightly. Much thinking yet to be done. In the end its not really about principles. It's about making money and the flaws that you mentioned dont make it obvious that there wont be significant opportunity to do so.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
walonek

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:30:30 AM

Wtf is this? You are really goiing to suck eachother? This thread looks so... Is this psychiatry panel?
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 6307

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 06:25:29 AM

If Shelby/anonymint wouldn't have planted in me his seeds of doubt I would be even more invested in Monero, but I still have an amount that could count when the markets will be loving us more.
So for now I watch and HOLD.

True, but I learned in the last 2-3 years that markets tend to correct. XMR had its first big correction from 2.50 USD to 15 USD, many were surprised.
I was not. Smiley

That's true, Monero's jumps are at its own tempo and sooner or later it gets the place it deserves.

The only point I was surprised was when Monero got to about 140$, not long ago. And it's not because of the value, it's because it happened so quick.
So the current bleak period is actually normal, I know.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
invitro

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 07:02:29 AM

I really like monero.

when crypto goes mainstream, monero will be top 3-4
cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 08:57:26 AM

Yes, I think the problem with most newbie investors is that they try to find the next X100 and buy any kind of coin which makes this promise. While doing that, they miss out the next X10 or X30 and that is what I see in IOTA and XMR. From the 4 strong and healthy projects (although BTC may not be healthy any more) which are BTC, ETH, XMR and IOTA, only the last 2 have a small market cap of 1 billion USD.

Other top 10 coins like LTC, NEM, XRP, DASH etc. are a joke.

I only like to put my money into quality stuff, where I can hodl even through lows with no problems because I know the value will come back again.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 02:39:02 PM

Latest Ledger update:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/793blx/ledger_hardware_wallet_monero_integration_some/

Seems work went super fine so far, but now a week off for holidays and when he gets back his priority will not be Monero integration anymore. Mid November we will hear next news. Lets hope with the request for alpha testers.
Turkiwi

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 02:50:26 PM

Monero is alright but can someone explain me what chance it stands against Zcash? I think Zcash has already proved that they use by far the most superior cryptography. And if you don't believe me, you don't have to. Just ask yourself why JP Morgan is implementing their solution and not Monero's solution in their blockchain ledger, or why Ethereum is implementing the Zcash technology and not the Monero technology? I have nothing against Monero but it looks to me like everything is against that coin, what are the chances of success when developers come up with real innovations. That is already a good proof that is reflected in the price of the currency, Zcash is far more valuable than Monero, so the market has spoken regarding that topic. Monero has to implement some real alternative to even come close to compete with Zcash. I wish the team best of lack, we need competition in the space because it pushes us to improve our service and products, I hope it does the same for Monero.
garytheasshole

Activity: 406
Merit: 105

Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 02:53:37 PM

Monero is alright but can someone explain me what chance it stands against Zcash? I think Zcash has already proved that they use by far the most superior cryptography. And if you don't believe me, you don't have to. Just ask yourself why JP Morgan is implementing their solution and not Monero's solution in their blockchain ledger, or why Ethereum is implementing the Zcash technology and not the Monero technology? I have nothing against Monero but it looks to me like everything is against that coin, what are the chances of success when developers come up with real innovations. That is already a good proof that is reflected in the price of the currency, Zcash is far more valuable than Monero, so the market has spoken regarding that topic. Monero has to implement some real alternative to even come close to compete with Zcash. I wish the team best of lack, we need competition in the space because it pushes us to improve our service and products, I hope it does the same for Monero.

This is why zcash is a failure https://twitter.com/zooko/status/863202798883577856?lang=en Does not do what it says on the tin. It's either private, anonymous and secure or it's not, there is no middle ground. 

snrumph

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 02:55:48 PM

Yes, I think the problem with most newbie investors is that they try to find the next X100 and buy any kind of coin which makes this promise. While doing that, they miss out the next X10 or X30 and that is what I see in IOTA and XMR. From the 4 strong and healthy projects (although BTC may not be healthy any more) which are BTC, ETH, XMR and IOTA, only the last 2 have a small market cap of 1 billion USD.

I only like to put my money into quality stuff, where I can hodl even through lows with no problems because I know the value will come back again.

100%. I used to follow a lot of junior miners and get a lot of e-mail from "analysts" in that sector. Most of them have transitioned away from the penny mining stocks into marijuana stocks and crypto. Example excerpt from an e-mail I received today:

"As you probably know, for the past 12 months, I've been showing a small group of a few thousand people how to trade "cryptos" for profit. I gave them the chance to bank gains of 2,050% on May 24th, 1,522% on August 8th, and 14,354% on August 7th – and that's just the beginning."

My point is that there is a lot of new money in crypto and most investors have no idea what they're getting into. It's just an opportunity for quick profits in the new wild west and all "crypto" is the same. I think XMR is less volatile than some of the others because it has a lot of hodlers and fewer whales playing games. Sometimes in the short term, that lack of volatility might look like underperformance, but I don't think any coin has better fundamentals than XMR.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 03:57:24 PM

Zcash is far more valuable than Monero, so the market has spoken regarding that topic.

False.  The market cap of XMR exceeds that of ZEC by a large margin.

Anyhow, if you implement Zcash, I will find it interesting to see how long it takes until you are dangling like Alexandre Cazes.  It took him three weeks.  Can you beat his record?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
GalerasVolcano

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 04:22:55 PM

IMO it is worth having BCC in the portfolio too, there is chance that it will inherit the BTC good will
Nathan047

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 04:24:50 PM

when crypto goes mainstream, monero will be top 3-4
When (or if, but probably) cryptos do go mainstream then there will be a lot more focus on the uses of the coin and not just speculation, so my guess is that it would go Bitcoin - Ethereum - Monero – Litecoin.

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 04:56:24 PM

Monero Integrations - Update #10

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7938pb/monero_integrations_update_10/

A Monero Introduction for Beginners

https://steemit.com/monero/@sgp/7yjqso-a-monero-introduction-for-beginners

Ledger Hardware Wallet - Monero Integration - Update #3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/793blx/ledger_hardware_wallet_monero_integration_some/

Sarang Noether's (Monero Research Lab) Monthly Report - October Issue

https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/87856/hire-mathematician-and-computational-physicist-to-join-research-team?page=&noscroll=1#post-92875

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 04:57:30 PM

Monero 0.11.1.0 "Helium Hydra" Released (GUI & CLI)!

https://getmonero.org/2017/10/27/monero-0.11.1.0-released.html

Steps on how to upgrade can be found here:

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/6390/how-do-i-upgrade-my-software-to-v0-11-1-0/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Pages: « 1 ... 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 [1683] 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 1696 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: