Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:33:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 [606] 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312332 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:07:06 PM

ArticMine PMed me after I wrote that flaming post, and said he would reply after studying my posts. He has not yet replied. Does that mean I am correct and there is no solution for Monero. I think so.

It is fundamental. Afaics, you'd have to completely rewrite Moaneuro. Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:14:15 PM

It seems like Shen is going full steam ahead! Some updates regarding Ring Confidential Transactions for Monero:

edit 1/9/2016: Looks like its fully funded! Thanks to everyone who funded - I've started the work (https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero/commit/9ede58897808bee784dab296654b99899a58c109), and I will be posting updates here for the next two weeks as I work on this, rather than updating both here and the stickied reddit post.

edit 1/13/2016: MG sigs + demo are done (git clone https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero.git, cd brief, make, a.exe (or a.out depending on system)). Most of the helper functions are there, so the rest should go a little bit quicker. Also fixed a tiny bug in Monero's keccak function.

edit 1/14/2016: ASNL + demo are done. (https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero/commit/88b2d93e137bd5a2e2a2700ac11136705bd463c5) I will probably do some additional checks on these and the MG sigs once I get everything finished, however they are working as expected now.

edit 1/15/2016: spent an all nighter getting a rough version of all the code finished - I will most likely clean it up, and then make it available early next week.

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2450/ring-ct-c-crypto

Primer, you make it sound like a battle.

As you all may know, I now consider this to be useless development. So please do continue!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1211093.msg13514814#msg13514814
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1329136.msg13575205#msg13575205

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:20:48 PM

Reddit cross post since perhaps not all of you visit there:  

Sometimes it can be easy to lose sight of the inevitable: a private and global financial network does already exist.

You're part of it.  There is literally no better technology on Earth... So the question is - what level will it need to balloon to in order to function properly? Because the path of least resistance is for it to inflate in value, not for it to stagnate or collapse.

The answer even laymen give me is, "In the trillions."

Ok, well what about $5 trillion? That's a nice reasonable number, right?  Then that means we are looking at a reality where every Monero is worth $300,000 each (in today's USD).

Remember: either we continue to use technologically inferior money (unlikely), something drastically better is invented very soon (unlikely), or Cryptonote networks like Monero become titanic financial juggernauts (most likely outcome).

The stock market is down... Bitcoin is down... But our future is still quite rosy. Let's get excited for a great 2016 - possibly the year we broach a new level of mainstream awareness.  

Typical overreaching of bagholders as the ship sinks.

Delusional nonsense that is ignorant of the technological realities of anonymity.

Also it is bordering on insanity in terms of understanding of marketing and market needs for anonymity, even if your technology wasn't mostly inadequate to the point of being nearly entirely useless.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:27:26 PM

ArticMine PMed me after I wrote that flaming post, and said he would reply after studying my posts. He has not yet replied. Does that mean I am correct and there is no solution for Monero. I think so.

Rewrite Monero, is not necessary at all but some documentation on how the Cryptonote adaptive blocksize limits actually work is needed, especially given the formula in section 6.2.3 of the Cryptonote Whitepaper is wrong. https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf. My response will come in time.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:32:53 PM

Rewrite Monero, is not necessary at all but some documentation on how the Cryptonote adaptive blocksize limits actually work is needed, especially given the formula in section 6.2.3 of the Cryptonote Whitepaper is wrong. https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf. My response will come in time.

Sorry that won't solve the problem, which as smooth pointed out in my vaporcoin thread recently is the generlized ability to move profit to externalities (where I was already mentioning shorting as an attack on PoS coins).

Checkmate.

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 12:21:07 AM

TPTB, if you are just going to troll the Monero and Aeon threads with how much better your vaporware coin is, go away please.  

Your coin doesn't exist, and even if it did, judging by the names you are proposing for it, you are so deeply out of touch with the realities of modern culture that it will likely never catch on.  

You received valuable advice in your thread which you disregarded: no single person or personality can launch a technology these days.  This is not the garage computing era of the 1970's.  Even Bitcoin did not succeed as a result of one person.  Your effort, despite being sincere, is misguided.  

Your best bet would be to throw your hat into the ring with Cryptonote developers instead of going it alone and creating a "Pegasus Coin".  

As is, you are the equivalent of me, going into the Game of Thrones forums and telling them all they are wasting their time - I am writing a fantasy epic that will make Thrones look like a fucking Mickey Mouse cartoon: get on board, or get left behind.  

And you expect to create a 'movement' with such tactics?  

Come to your senses.  

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 12:22:39 AM

Even though I really like some features Monero has that Bitcoin simply can't have on a protocol level, you can't trust Mike Hearn is sincere anymore. He likely has a hidden agenda, why would you backstab Bitcoin like this? Bitcoin needs to proof it is anti-fragile (and it does!) and that it can deal with any kind of attack, political as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4171u6/mike_hearn_did_you_knowingly_write_your_leaving/

Was that Satoshi email in 2015 ever proven a hoax?

It was not signed. The burden of proof is first to prove it's legit, not the opposite.
Satoshi knows perfectly that if it's not signed, it's no better than goat shit. He would have never bother to send something unsigned.

He didn't sign much (anything?) when he was active.

Given the length of absence it is plausible he would, or plausible that he wouldn't. Perhaps he prefers the ambiguity/deniability.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 01:31:35 AM

Even though I really like some features Monero has that Bitcoin simply can't have on a protocol level, you can't trust Mike Hearn is sincere anymore. He likely has a hidden agenda, why would you backstab Bitcoin like this? Bitcoin needs to proof it is anti-fragile (and it does!) and that it can deal with any kind of attack, political as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4171u6/mike_hearn_did_you_knowingly_write_your_leaving/

It was not signed. The burden of proof is first to prove it's legit, not the opposite.
Satoshi knows perfectly that if it's not signed, it's no better than goat shit. He would have never bother to send something unsigned.

Given the length of absence it is plausible he would, or plausible that he wouldn't. Perhaps he prefers the ambiguity/deniability.

At least he was using known emails and accounts on forums. This email quoted is completely random.
What are the odds of being him, choosing not to sign for deniability, against being one of the other 7 billions?...

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 01:45:15 AM

DASH : 0.011
XMR : 0.0011

Its over...

Gold = $1075
Bitcoin = $390
Dash = $4

It's over...

Such fail logic  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 02:47:59 AM

At least he was using known emails and accounts on forums. This email quoted is completely random.
What are the odds of being him, choosing not to sign for deniability, against being one of the other 7 billions?...

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/5319/what-is-the-email-of-satoshi-nakamoto
He used satoshin@gmx.com (from original Bitcoin whitepaper) and satoshi@vistomail.com (from email logs). gmx.com is a free email service that may or may not have had location based restrictions on registration at the time. vistomail.com is an email service from anonymousspeech, the domain registrar proxy he used to register bitcoin.org.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:23:24 AM

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/5319/what-is-the-email-of-satoshi-nakamoto
He used satoshin@gmx.com (from original Bitcoin whitepaper) and satoshi@vistomail.com (from email logs). gmx.com is a free email service that may or may not have had location based restrictions on registration at the time. vistomail.com is an email service from anonymousspeech, the domain registrar proxy he used to register bitcoin.org.

It is trivial to fake the source of an email.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:33:11 AM

It is trivial to fake the source of an email.

Someone claimed that it was verified to have actually come from the vistomail server though.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:54:28 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2016, 04:21:49 AM by TPTB_need_war

TPTB, if you are just going to troll the Monero and Aeon threads with how much better your vaporware coin is, go away please.

What does that have to do with the discussion of the facts about Monero (and Bitcoin) being broken for Tragedy of the Commons scaling issues and more or less useless for anonymity?

Is ad hominen your version of discussion of the facts. Attacking me or my vaporshit plans is irrelevant to the point I made.

Your coin doesn't exist, and even if it did, judging by the names you are proposing for it, you are so deeply out of touch with the realities of modern culture that it will likely never catch on.

You received valuable advice in your thread which you disregarded: no single person or personality can launch a technology these days.  This is not the garage computing era of the 1970's.  Even Bitcoin did not succeed as a result of one person.  Your effort, despite being sincere, is misguided.  

Your best bet would be to throw your hat into the ring with Cryptonote developers instead of going it alone and creating a "Pegasus Coin".  

As is, you are the equivalent of me, going into the Game of Thrones forums and telling them all they are wasting their time - I am writing a fantasy epic that will make Thrones look like a fucking Mickey Mouse cartoon: get on board, or get left behind.  

And you expect to create a 'movement' with such tactics?  

Come to your senses.  

You are 100% certain correct? I would like to have you on record please. 100% certain? Yes or no?

Cryptonote can not be fixed. I don't see any Cryptonote devs willing to stop working on what is useless and start working on the future. If they are, my Inbox is open.

Have you ever considered that my goal is not to convince investors of investing in me, but rather to fool everyone into thinking I am no threat to them. Of course you wouldn't think of this, because you think cryptocurrency is only about the speculators at the early stages. But what if there was a different way...

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 04:29:41 AM

It seems like Shen is going full steam ahead! Some updates regarding Ring Confidential Transactions for Monero:

edit 1/9/2016: Looks like its fully funded! Thanks to everyone who funded - I've started the work (https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero/commit/9ede58897808bee784dab296654b99899a58c109), and I will be posting updates here for the next two weeks as I work on this, rather than updating both here and the stickied reddit post.

edit 1/13/2016: MG sigs + demo are done (git clone https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero.git, cd brief, make, a.exe (or a.out depending on system)). Most of the helper functions are there, so the rest should go a little bit quicker. Also fixed a tiny bug in Monero's keccak function.

edit 1/14/2016: ASNL + demo are done. (https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero/commit/88b2d93e137bd5a2e2a2700ac11136705bd463c5) I will probably do some additional checks on these and the MG sigs once I get everything finished, however they are working as expected now.

edit 1/15/2016: spent an all nighter getting a rough version of all the code finished - I will most likely clean it up, and then make it available early next week.

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2450/ring-ct-c-crypto

Primer, you make it sound like a battle.

As you all may know, I now consider this to be useless development. So please do continue!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1211093.msg13514814#msg13514814
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1329136.msg13575205#msg13575205

TPTB if you have such a better solution why don't you stop wasting your time on the forums and go FINISH and release your coin that "fixes everything and the kitchen sink in the world"?

You are starting to sound desperate by coming here.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 04:41:54 AM

My only point was to inform the community that Monero is claiming to have fixed things that it has not. Also to see if anyone could point out an error in my analysis.

I don't see how having community discussion is desperate.

I continue to make the point that what ever you might think of me and my plans, that is irrelevant to the point that I made some factual statements.

The continued attacks of me (my person) and on my vaporshit, shitplans, seems more desperate. Better to ignore me entirely right. Or respond to the facts.

Any way, it seems our community is always about fighting. Smoothie you in the past were very focused on truth, but when you don't like the facts, then you don't want to talk about truth and instead want to attack my reputation.

My reputation has nothing to do with any of it. It has nothing to do with whether the facts I explained are correct. It has nothing to do with the outcome of my vaporized shit shit shit. The result of my life will not come from my reputation but from my actions and the serendipity of life.

Okay I think we are done here. I don't expect we can elevate our discussions to a mature level.

NASdaq

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 06:21:40 AM

My only point was to inform the community that Monero is claiming to have fixed things that it has not. Also to see if anyone could point out an error in my analysis.

I continue to make the point that what ever you might think of me and my plans, that is irrelevant to the point that I made some factual statements.

The continued attacks of me (my person) and on my vaporshit, shitplans, seems more desperate. Better to ignore me entirely right. Or respond to the facts.

Any way, it seems our community is always about fighting. Smoothie you in the past were very focused on truth, but when you don't like the facts, then you don't want to talk about truth and instead want to attack my reputation.

My reputation has nothing to do with any of it. It has nothing to do with whether the facts I explained are correct. It has nothing to do with the outcome of my vaporized shit shit shit. The result of my life will not come from my reputation but from my actions and the serendipity of life.

Okay I think we are done here. I don't expect we can elevate our discussions to a mature level.

XMR needs to be picked apart by competent people to find faults (if any) so it becomes stronger and less vulnerable to attack.

If TPTB is not competent then people must show that by challenging his points (I'm non-tech, so can't myself)

He does sound desperate too, but that is irrelevant. Desperation is a good thing sometimes, it makes people fight harder.

“If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected .”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

TPTB is on "desperate ground":

Ground on which we can only be saved from destruction by fighting without delay, is desperate ground.

When you have the enemy's strongholds on your rear,  and narrow passes in front, it is hemmed-in ground. When there is no place of refuge at all, it is desperate ground.

On hemmed-in ground, resort to stratagem.  On desperate ground, fight.

On desperate ground, I would proclaim to my soldiers the hopelessness of saving their lives.

The situation, as pictured by Ts‘ao Kung, is very similar to the #, except that here escape is no longer possible: # "A lofty mountain in front, a large river behind, advance impossible, retreat blocked." Ch‘ên Hao says: # "to be on 'desperate ground' is like sitting in a leaking boat or crouching in a burning house." Tu Mu quotes from Li Ching a vivid description of the plight of an army thus entrapped: "Suppose an army invading hostile territory without the aid of local guides:—it falls into a fatal snare and is at the enemy's mercy. A ravine on the left, a mountain on the right, a pathway so perilous that the horses have to be roped together and the chariots carried in slings, no passage open in front, retreat cut off behind, no choice but to proceed in single file (#). Then, before there is time to range our soldiers in order of battle, the enemy in overwhelming strength suddenly appears on the scene. Advancing, we can nowhere take a breathing-space; retreating, we have no haven of refuge. We seek a pitched battle, but in vain; yet standing on the defensive, none of us has a moment's respite. If we simply maintain our ground, whole days and months will crawl by; the moment we make a move, we have to sustain the enemy's attacks on front and rear. The country is wild, destitute of water and plants; the army is lacking in the necessaries of life, the horses are jaded and the men worn-out, all the resources of strength and skill unavailing, the pass so narrow that a single man defending it can check the onset of ten thousand; all means of offence in the hands of the enemy, all points of vantage already forfeited by ourselves:—in this terrible plight, even though we had the most valiant soldiers and the keenest of weapons, how could they be employed with the slightest effect?"
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 08:30:12 AM

With all due respect, your input on these forums has been less and less interesting over time. I am not put off by your nazi speech I am already accustomed to. It is more about the content which is lacking the informational part that worries me.
You have not solved anything until you put your ideas on the table so we can examine. Correct me if I am wrong but you have not published any description of your great solution in depth. However you have written many texts by your all powerful ego claiming basically every coin (especially bitcoin) is flawed and it is only you that got the solution right. I think everybody already got that - there is not much more to add, why waste more time?
Obviously Monero is your favorite coin because it is the best existing tech there is - you should at least admit that.
DonYo

Activity: 432
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 08:39:23 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2016, 01:25:56 PM by DonYo

And what's the point of posting it on speculation forum instead of getmonero forum, irc, mail, pm...

What did you expect? If you want a serious disccusion about dev things you should go to the correct place talk to the dev team and discuss it at dev level.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 08:49:55 AM

XMR needs to be picked apart by competent people to find faults (if any) so it becomes stronger and less vulnerable to attack.

If TPTB is not competent then people must show that by challenging his points (I'm non-tech, so can't myself)

He is basically claiming you can throw every coin into the trash bin because it is so deeply flawed.
And he can prove it because it is 'true':

Look at bitcoin and it's mining controlled by handful of entities. Micro transactions? Not possible and there have been no elegant solution so far that would solve this or there are other implications of this design that cannot be overcome. Anonymity? You can't have that because TOR is basically a honeypot.

This is common knowledge he likes to brag about.

He also brags about how he solved everything in his as he calls it himself vaporcoin.

There is nothing to challenge so far.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 09:08:56 AM

Let's try to stay on topic without the need for further message deletions...
Pages: « 1 ... 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 [606] 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: