Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:14:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312338 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 02:06:19 AM

Also from memory during the time that I bought, there was an attack or threat of an attack by 'BTCExpress?' and it caused a lot of jitters in the XMR community. XMR has obviously survived, but what was the outcome, if you remember.

Nothing happened. It was all FUD.

My personal theory is that the people behind it (I don't think BCX was working alone) did really think they had discovered a vulnerability in the crypto, but that was due to a misunderstanding of the math on their part. So it turned out to be a false alarm. But that could be wrong, and it may have just been speculators wanting to make money by shorting and FUDding. No way to know really.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
24Kilo

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 02:17:39 AM

Yes the blockchain had to be loaded in RAM and I could no longer run a node.  Now the daemon uses little resources.  I synced the blockchain from scratch when 0.10 was released and it was much quicker to do so.  Although there is no official GUI yet (it is almost ready) simplewallet which is now called monero-wallet-cli has had a great deal of functionality added.  RingCT is in the current code and will be activated in Jan.  0MQ is being worked on which will help with the infrastructure needed for adoption. 

Yes we all would like things to move faster.  I do my part the only way I can by donating to development.  There were 2 very recent funding proposals that I contributed to.  Many others did as well and they were funded quickly.  Paying for a developer for Monero proper as well as a dev for the i2p implementation.  These were done using the Monero Forum Funding System.  That is something started during your absence so please add that to the list of improvements. 

Also there are more people donating their time to development. 

Welcome back!  Sorry I have no advice as to what you do from here.

Thanks!

One of the things I learned over the past two years is that all things take time. So while I was being critical, I am not in any rush. The past 2 years have come and gone so quickly it is scary. It has been a good lesson in patience and learning to let things happen as they happen.

It is great to hear of the improvements and progress of XMR while I was gone. And to learn of the new projects being undertaken recently.

Learning about the issue with block size with BTC has been interesting, and what I have learned from that is that any coin that will see wide spread adoption must have a plan, either now or in the future, to adapt to increased block size as transactions increase with adoption. I suppose I am a slow-learner to only find out now that XMR has dealt with this issue. I am re-evaluating my whole crypto-coin portfolio as a result.

With the increased volume and volatility of XMR, maybe I can learn to do a bit of short-term trading and reinvest the profits in both XMR and XMR development.
24Kilo

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 02:19:51 AM

Also from memory during the time that I bought, there was an attack or threat of an attack by 'BTCExpress?' and it caused a lot of jitters in the XMR community. XMR has obviously survived, but what was the outcome, if you remember.

Nothing happened. It was all FUD.

My personal theory is that the people behind it (I don't think BCX was working alone) did really think they had discovered a vulnerability in the crypto, but that was due to a misunderstanding of the math on their part. So it turned out to be a false alarm. But that could be wrong, and it may have just been speculators wanting to make money by shorting and FUDding. No way to know really.

Thanks!

It is obvious that whatever it was, it had no long-term detriment on XMR as 2 years on XMR is still here and growing.
24Kilo

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 02:21:14 AM

Besides the "official" GUI theres another 3 in the works, soon Monero will be known as the crypto-currency will too many GUIs.

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-core

https://github.com/moneybit/moneybit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/57n44b/jaxx_decentral_introduction_and_how_we_are/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4zierq/nice_gui_wallet_exodusio_about_to_support_monero/

I can only vouch for the official gui, but I confess that I'll be using the jaxx one with small amounts in my phone.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 06:24:26 AM

---

I was disappointed and pleasantly surprised at the same time. Pleased the price had appreciated, but disappointed that in 2 years so little seems to have been done in terms of adoption and software. Nothing seems to have really changed, XMR seems only to exist as a hedge to BTC(and has done it so well that it appears to have dethroned LTC) while daily usage has not really made any real headway. The wallet it still clunky, needing the daemon to be sync'ed before opening a barely improved wallet. Maybe I am being too harsh, but it has been over 2 years, not 2 months or even 6 months.

I was pleased to see that Risto, Smoothy, Icebreaker and a few old names are still here and supporters of XMR.

So in summary, over the past 2 days I have bought 945XMR at an average price of about .0104BTC. I am adding them to the 55XMR in my cold storage wallet.

My only question is... should I go away for another 2 years before checking on XMR again?

I would use Monero as a method of payment if there would be more places to use them (sure I could have done it via xmr.to) but it would be simpler just to use btc directly.
The other thing, I order quite little online because I need pretty much nothing and my costs are quite minimal. Together with my wife we spend around 1000 euros/month and that includes everything from housing to toothpaste.
However, it is nice to buy a gold coin or two a few times in a year and I see this a good opportunity to spend Moneros (last time I tried to figure xmr.to out it was not in use) - why not. Anyway I need to pay the gold coin so why not use XMR and replace the spent amount from Poloniex.
When Monero skyrockets, perhaps Risto will re-open the gold window and accepts Moneros directly...?  Grin
Perhaps there is a niche for ebay-type of service in Moneros? In my case, I would not care to sell the coins into Poloniex when the price rises but buy directly with Moneros from a trusted source. DNM are not the way I personally buy stuff because I have very limited need for the products/"services" they offer.
thsminer

Activity: 332

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 06:41:28 AM

The end of 2014 I put all my crypto wallets in cold storage and did not think about crypto until about two weeks ago. Circumstances of life took me to a place where even mobile phone service was a luxury, internet was a pipe-dream. It has been very interesting to step away from crypto for about 2 years and come back.

XMR was brought to my attention by Risto, whom I highly respect as one of the brightest minds on this forum. His posts about Bitcoin Distribution, the '(SSS) - A Sane and Simple bitcoin Savings' plan are brilliant and thought-provoking. I bought 55XMR at 0.004BTC, which is all I could afford, just before I left crypto in Sept. 2014. Since then the price of XMR has down to .001 and up to .025 and back again.

I was disappointed and pleasantly surprised at the same time. Pleased the price had appreciated, but disappointed that in 2 years so little seems to have been done in terms of adoption and software. Nothing seems to have really changed, XMR seems only to exist as a hedge to BTC(and has done it so well that it appears to have dethroned LTC) while daily usage has not really made any real headway. The wallet it still clunky, needing the daemon to be sync'ed before opening a barely improved wallet. Maybe I am being too harsh, but it has been over 2 years, not 2 months or even 6 months.

I was pleased to see that Risto, Smoothy, Icebreaker and a few old names are still here and supporters of XMR.

So in summary, over the past 2 days I have bought 945XMR at an average price of about .0104BTC. I am adding them to the 55XMR in my cold storage wallet.

My only question is... should I go away for another 2 years before checking on XMR again?

Kilo! Good to see you here... Slack is deserted so I'm kind of hangin around on BCT... About the same story with me XMR wise, but kept an eye on the movements and bought some more a year ago. Got rid of the last "Other coins" this week and lookingi for a new destination.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 06:53:07 AM

Nrg was gone for 5 minutes and the thread is already back to its old self. Cry

Its not just him and his trolls. You can just put them on ignore. Its when well meaning people engage with it that the thread turns to shit.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
thsminer

Activity: 332

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 07:09:15 AM

Nrg was gone for 5 minutes and the thread is already back to its old self. Cry

Its not just him and his trolls. You can just put them on ignore. Its when well meaning people engage with it that the thread turns to shit.

Smiley In fact it's quite easy to get rid of the scum. If every serious member just does not reply or quote their messages, these jokers will disappear... Because of their low empathic abilities they will start a convo with themselves but that's no fun in the long run an will die out pretty quickly.
24Kilo

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 07:17:56 AM

Kilo! Good to see you here... Slack is deserted so I'm kind of hangin around on BCT... About the same story with me XMR wise, but kept an eye on the movements and bought some more a year ago. Got rid of the last "Other coins" this week and lookingi for a new destination.

thsminer! Great to hear from you!!! I still have quite a stash of 'Other Coins', albeit I sold quite a nice chunk this past week, taking a very tidy profit thanks to Fuse getting in contact with me and telling me to get off my bum!!! Check out Slack, I posted to there this week about my current status.

Thanks to everyone else for the advise and comments. I especially like the sound of being able to buy gold with XMR. What I really want to see from XMR is stability with enough volume and volatility to be able to buy and sell substantial sums of XMR when needed as I want to use XMR just I use BTC, Gold, Silver and other currencies to hedge against inflation and to provide a diverse store of wealth.

One of things that I really like about BTC over the past years is the fairly stable value with steady capital appreciation.

Like TrueCryptonaire, I don't really have much need to buy anything online. And as a family, we are pretty much self-sufficient, so monthly expenses are minimal and mostly with local establishments, so I don't really have a daily use for XMR. Although it would be great to be able to buy my Danner boots with XMR, the one luxury I have to import regularly.

I would say the best part of being away from crypto for 2 years is the ability to be very rational and clear when evaluating various coins and the technology used. Risto posted very early on that XMR greatest potential was that it had significantly different and possibility superior tech to BTC and this is what seperated from other alt-coins such as LTC. Of course, a dedicated and hard-working community is very important as well.

Again thanks to everyone for warm welcome back!!!

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 09:24:15 AM

---

I would use Monero as a method of payment if there would be more places to use them (sure I could have done it via xmr.to) but it would be simpler just to use btc directly.

In my opinion, using XMR.to is just as simple. Furthermore, with XMR.to you preserve the privacy features Monero offers (i.e. unlinkability and untraceability), whereas paying directly with BTC will make your payment traceable and linkable.

@24Kilo: These year in reviews provide a nice summary of what happened in the last two years.

https://getmonero.org/2015/01/05/monero-missive-2014-year-in-review.html

https://getmonero.org/2016/02/10/monero-missive-2015-year-in-review.html

A lot has happened in 2016 too. Unfortunately, there is no concise write up about this yet. However, you can look at the top threads / stories on reddit to get a bit of the picture:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/top/?sort=top&t=year

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 12:33:27 PM

Whatever happened to Aminorex?  Angry

Baguette Holder.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 01:16:18 PM

I heard lot's of people saying he is on an around the world cruise.

I know you are missing his English lessons.  Maybe his brain short circuited listening to the person that constantly uses a format similar to the one I used in my first sentence. Cool

As proof of my first sentence I have included the following quote. Grin

It is my understanding that he went on a cruise around the world.

In other news: I'm on my second cup of tea, darjeeling
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 02:08:16 PM

C9H10N2O tend to appear when the price is rising.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 02:10:40 PM

I *think* I actually saw a comment on a ZeroHedge article a day or two ago by someone calling himself AminorEx, speaking about Monero in response to some ZH article about either bitcoin or gold, I think it was... but now I can't find it, LOL

So IF TRUE, he's still online and posting but just not *here* lately.  Maybe the recent troll infestation just ran him off...

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
De Selby

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 03:47:03 PM

I *think* I actually saw a comment on a ZeroHedge article a day or two ago by someone calling himself AminorEx, speaking about Monero in response to some ZH article about either bitcoin or gold, I think it was...
I read that too! It was an article on how the widespread adoption of Bitcoin could pose a threat to the ECB's deranged use of the printing press to expand the monetary supply.
KeyJockey

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 04:17:01 PM

I *think* I actually saw a comment on a ZeroHedge article a day or two ago by someone calling himself AminorEx, speaking about Monero in response to some ZH article about either bitcoin or gold, I think it was...

I read that too! It was an article on how the widespread adoption of Bitcoin could pose a threat to the ECB's deranged use of the printing press to expand the monetary supply.

Yup!  That's the one...

Aminorex's comment there on 2nd page was:

aminorex  Oct 19, 2016 9:38 AM
Bitcoin is no threat because it is traceable. All transactions are visiting le on the public blockchain.  That is why I use Monero. The blockchain for Monero is private, opaque, and transactions are truly anonymous.  It is the first and only true digital cash.

...doin' his part here to help The Man In The Street to discover XMR  Wink

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 06:40:12 PM

^^Oh well it looks like I may have lied to myself.

In other news:  Yesterday there were 12 pull requests merged into the master and today there were 7.  Forget it everyone, this coin is ded.
PID1

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 09:08:11 PM

Monero is a landmark advancement with a future. And yet... I'm holding a short position.

Utility and trading are not the same thing.
KeyJockey

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 09:09:39 PM

Utility and trading are not the same thing.

Neither are "Investing" and "Gambling" -- also not the same thing  Grin

PID1

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 09:22:12 PM

I have a background in professional statistics.

After watching the forum take a bath going long over the last month I considered sharing some entries/exits to help abate the bleeding. The hostility toward anyone arriving at a "short" result... even if taking measurements with an unbiased starting point... has me reconsidering any sort of information sharing.
Pages: « 1 ... 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: