Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:20:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312335 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 08:24:18 PM

I do not know anyone who respects Monero of its main weakness (lack of marketing).
Yes, Monero has been mentioned not only on crypto related media but also mainstream media.
The importance of marketing comes to play an important role when it comes to communicating Monero to the new people in laymen's language. Despite Amanda Johnson is a vocal Dark coin person I am not sure if people consider Dark coin as "Amanda Johnson coin"..  

There are different type of adaption:
1) Speculation (short term buying and selling)
2) Bagholding (consider Monero as an asset and want to accumulate it as much as possible)
3) Transactional (buying illegal stuff mainly right now)

When communicating, all these aspects should be taken account, they all have different mindset and thus the approach should be different. Let's approach the people from their own perspectives.

I think I know where you come from: I used to worry about Monero not having marketing early 2016 but then it got accepted by the DNM, price went up and slowly down (oasis exit scam, no GUI). I then got worried again that we should market Monero but then price gradually went up with the release GUI, kraken, bitfinex echange accepting Monero. What makes people want marketing is fear and uncertainty that prices will go way down but I am positive that how Monero is advancing right now is not the wrong path to go.

What I want to say is that I used to believe that marketing was a must for Monero to spread but I am slowly believing it is not as it is a decentralized/open source project which is gradually developing. We still have more features to come and because it is an open source project, having suddenly many newcomers could do more harm than good to it. We should help fluffy with the adoption and awareness as best as we can and get people to be involved with it not as a buy-once-then-dump-and-not-get-involved-with-XMR-forever coin.

I believe the way to go for Monero as a decentralized and open source project is to expand as the same rate it is developing. Deep down inside, we all know that Monero is great, different than Bitcoin and that it is not going to disappear suddenly. Chances of Monero being replaced by another cryptocurrency is very slim as they would have to have continuous development and most likely start from scratch like Monero if they wanted to replace it.

Great post. I always say ( since 2014 ), marketing is a cool thing but in the end it is selling something, a real good project DOES NOT need that, the project will speak for itself and people will see little by little. For the moment seems i was right as we got a DNM, Finex, Kraken and many more things propably to come.... all WITHOUT marketing budget... just the project and its community speaking for itself... demand comes not from sales pitching, but from real need.

@coinling https://github.com/monero-project/monero... there you can see the Donation Adress Smiley btw shouldnt that change for 2017 or did it already?

I couldn't disagree more on this.
You are saying in indirect manner that everybody who needs Monero will found it.
You are forgetting that the most people are not like you - they are average Joe's watching TV, drinking diet coke and eating processed food and when they go to pick up the daily mail they take a car/rollator to do so. Still, they might have a need for Monero.
Those people are going to find Monero only when they hear it from the sources they are following. Despite the project might speak for itself, the problem is that people who need it cannot hear the speech.

There are different ways how to get publicity... One way is to pump the price and people start discussing about Monero everywhere and even mainsteam media starts to pay attention to it and the community will grow.
The second approach is the way the Dark coin community does: They have hired "shills" to make sure people speak about it.

Druggies will find it first, then the media will flip out and it'll be Bitcoin 2013 all over again. Dash's advertising seems like corporate LARPing to me, I doubt its very effective or they'd be beating us.

I hope you are right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luxo

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 09:07:51 PM

You are saying in indirect manner that everybody who needs Monero will found it.
You are forgetting that the most people are not like you - they are average Joe's watching TV, drinking diet coke and eating processed food and when they go to pick up the daily mail they take a car/rollator to do so. Still, they might have a need for Monero.
Those people are going to find Monero only when they hear it from the sources they are following. Despite the project might speak for itself, the problem is that people who need it cannot hear the speech.

There are different ways how to get publicity... One way is to pump the price and people start discussing about Monero everywhere and even mainsteam media starts to pay attention to it and the community will grow.
The second approach is the way the Dark coin community does: They have hired "shills" to make sure people speak about it.

What will people do when they find out that Monero has no hardware wallet and have to go through what I, as initially an average joe, found extremely annoying to make my XMR safe? Do you think they will be true holders when they know that they have to go through many steps in order to have their XMR secure? Probably not in my opinion, they just will buy then sell. That will not help for the development of Monero and its long term success. I would be glad to have some kind of marketing when there is more simple ways for people to have their XMR secured.

I've talked to my friends about it and one that believed me even has trouble running the GUI... Which is not even the safest way to store. Is now really the time to try to market an open source project in its infancy? I'd personally think waiting for official GUI release and a hardware wallet before trying to spread it through marketing like you say.

There is no pressing need for monero to truly go through marketing and that tells me that you are just being worried about the short-term price. Bitcoin is having problems and their solution is clearly Monero. No coin come close to Monero and it has been proven many times by the recent success of Monero compared to the other coins you fear. Just let time take matters in hand I'd say.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2017, 10:02:22 PM

btchip and fluffypony certainly know each other I would be surprised if Ledger did not come out with cold storage for Monero in the first half of this year.

coinling

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 02:33:49 PM

I do not know anyone who respects Monero of its main weakness (lack of marketing).
Yes, Monero has been mentioned not only on crypto related media but also mainstream media.
The importance of marketing comes to play an important role when it comes to communicating Monero to the new people in laymen's language. Despite Amanda Johnson is a vocal Dark coin person I am not sure if people consider Dark coin as "Amanda Johnson coin"..  

There are different type of adaption:
1) Speculation (short term buying and selling)
2) Bagholding (consider Monero as an asset and want to accumulate it as much as possible)
3) Transactional (buying illegal stuff mainly right now)

When communicating, all these aspects should be taken account, they all have different mindset and thus the approach should be different. Let's approach the people from their own perspectives.

I think I know where you come from: I used to worry about Monero not having marketing early 2016 but then it got accepted by the DNM, price went up and slowly down (oasis exit scam, no GUI). I then got worried again that we should market Monero but then price gradually went up with the release GUI, kraken, bitfinex echange accepting Monero. What makes people want marketing is fear and uncertainty that prices will go way down but I am positive that how Monero is advancing right now is not the wrong path to go.

What I want to say is that I used to believe that marketing was a must for Monero to spread but I am slowly believing it is not as it is a decentralized/open source project which is gradually developing. We still have more features to come and because it is an open source project, having suddenly many newcomers could do more harm than good to it. We should help fluffy with the adoption and awareness as best as we can and get people to be involved with it not as a buy-once-then-dump-and-not-get-involved-with-XMR-forever coin.

I believe the way to go for Monero as a decentralized and open source project is to expand as the same rate it is developing. Deep down inside, we all know that Monero is great, different than Bitcoin and that it is not going to disappear suddenly. Chances of Monero being replaced by another cryptocurrency is very slim as they would have to have continuous development and most likely start from scratch like Monero if they wanted to replace it.

Great post. I always say ( since 2014 ), marketing is a cool thing but in the end it is selling something, a real good project DOES NOT need that, the project will speak for itself and people will see little by little. For the moment seems i was right as we got a DNM, Finex, Kraken and many more things propably to come.... all WITHOUT marketing budget... just the project and its community speaking for itself... demand comes not from sales pitching, but from real need.

@coinling https://github.com/monero-project/monero... there you can see the Donation Adress Smiley btw shouldnt that change for 2017 or did it already?

Ok, we might just see things different.

I think, if they are not interested in privacy etc. should not "force" them by marketing and manipulation to use such stuff. This is basically what all advertising tries to achieve. They manipulate people to follow their ideologic thinking or into buying their products.
I would rather hope monero takes a different approach there.

We need people who fully understand how money and decentral system work and then take this path voluntary and fully aware.
I don't want uneducated people use the system just for the sake of money. I would rather come to a point where the average Joe see's what's happening in the world and tries to find alternatives themselves.
And at some point they will. Either through sorrow or knowledge. I hope for the latter although it is unlikely.

bitcoinvest
Legendary

Activity: 1124

13eJ4feC39JzbdY2K9W3ytQzWhunsxL83X

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 06:08:09 PM

it's been about a week now ( maybe more ) that i have missed the news in XMR.

i say i missed because i saw only now that is in 3rd position in poloniex and used to be 1st or 2nd.

So something must be out or something... we have a stable price of ~0.013 but in my opinion this should be double by now...

can somebody with simple words explain what happened ?
Luxo

Activity: 46

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 07:07:34 PM

i say i missed because i saw only now that is in 3rd position in poloniex and used to be 1st or 2nd.

So something must be out or something... we have a stable price of ~0.013 but in my opinion this should be double by now...

In your question you have the answer. Did something happen for it to go up?
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 07:08:21 PM

Weekends are slow on Poloniex lately. But no matter that Monero had this weekend lowest  volume in last 3 months.   Bitfinex and Kraken are tiny reasons for it.

We will see what will happen. I think lots of last months volume was because of BTC jumps and falls, where people was jumping from BTC to alts and back daily.
IlettheDogeoutt

Activity: 36

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 09:17:55 PM

That's just a temporary change. It will be back in 1st in no time.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 10:13:26 PM

What happened is everyone like you that didn't make money fast enough bailed. Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 10:17:47 PM

Weekends are slow on Poloniex lately. But no matter that Monero had this weekend lowest  volume in last 3 months.   Bitfinex and Kraken are tiny reasons for it.

We will see what will happen. I think lots of last months volume was because of BTC jumps and falls, where people was jumping from BTC to alts and back daily.

Maybe this is the calm before the storm, maybe we are om consolidation phase - seems to be the way with a lot of conis. I think XMR will do very well this year.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 02:00:22 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2017, 02:11:12 AM by Johnny Mnemonic

The average joe doesn't care about Monero, just like the average joe didn't care about the internet 30 years ago.

Did the internet market itself? No. It was businesses like CompuServe and AOL that brought it to the mainstream.

What about the internal combustion engine? Blah. You get the point.

Monero is the tech. Entrepreneurship and clever marketing is for third parties.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 04:40:19 AM

interesting read:

https://www.baselgovernance.org/news/global-conference-countering-money-laundering-and-digital-currencies

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Whtwabbit

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 05:11:41 AM

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Dumb broad

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 05:56:21 AM

"All countries are advised to consider the creation of the crime of unexplained wealth."

whoa!

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 05:59:52 AM

"All countries are advised to consider the creation of the crime of unexplained wealth."

whoa!

That crime is only reserved for the non-elite.

We live in a broken world where the rules only apply to those that don't own 95% of the world's wealth.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 07:01:05 AM

whoa!

That's the line that made me choke on my tea.

It's as terrifying as it is hilarious that The Powers That Be possess no sense of irony at the utter hypocrisy of making unexplained wealth a crime.

我想要火箭和火车
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 07:03:28 AM

whoa!

We live in a broken world where the rules only apply to those that don't own 95% of the world's wealth.

Sadly this is absolutely true.

我想要火箭和火车
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Dumb broad

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 07:18:29 AM

whoa!

It's as terrifying as it is hilarious that The Powers That Be possess no sense of irony at the utter hypocrisy of making unexplained wealth a crime.

I wonder if "my dad gave me a loan" is going to be an acceptable explanation.

ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 07:54:26 AM

whoa!

Sadly this is absolutely true.

Yes. Crypto is the first thing, in over 30 years observing this illusion, which has got me truly excited. Short of widespread armed rebellion which I cant really morally support. Henchmen are people too...(;-)
But crypto is smarter than that. It is as subversive as the written word and quite mighty because it is powered by the very control grid it subverts. Brilliant. A word much overused but not in this instance.

All it needs is a large enough group of people to trust it as a store of value and agree on it. Once it is secure and anonymous and gets critical mass it cant be stopped. We are just about there.

Bitcoin however could result in the ultimate control grid for the sheep so I am wary of it going deeply mainstream. An almighty self auditing administrator of finance & property with many secondary layers which can all be nullified at the source. Pretty good virtualisation of the self governing sheep and sowjet russia's wet dream. So it worries me on some level.

Ergo:
We need Monero or the like. Its not a massive scope in terms of functionality required, so first mover advantage is distinct as long as the quality is there. Defining quality as fit for the intended purpose here, which is private financial activity to the level I choose and which I take responsibility for.

Not belittling efforts here at all but it is a 'simple' problem where any elegant solution is simple by necessity. There is no need to become the eierlegende Wollmilchsau (look it up - some lol images too) a la ETH  by trying to be everything to all people. That place is occupied by Microsoft ,need I say more.

2017 will be the year the btc blockchain will be reigned in and domesticated imho. It might well go moon after that but under strict supervision and only then.

So the the time to shine is soon for the project which protects the original vision and defends an absolute human right in this world. That of financial privacy and protection of wealth.

Clearly Monero is in a great position to be best out of the block.

First mover advantage is distinct as long as the quality is there. It will be quite a scramble to move the 1000 rupiah coins to safe haven once the collective light comes on.

At the moment Monero is head and shoulders above current offerings and with the future vision of Kovri and so on I can see a mostly bright future with only the odd terror thrown in.

In my opinion Monero is the natural progression of the original vision of crypto. For me this means responsible people being sovereign administrator over their finances and private lives. This does not ever imply illegality nor tax evasion. All dues can be paid well and proper. \
But my wealth, my habits, my whereabouts is only the business of myself and those that I choose to let know. End of story.

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2017, 08:07:08 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2017, 08:42:55 AM by iCEBREAKER

whoa!

I wonder if "my dad gave me a loan" is going to be an acceptable explanation.

Many people made their money the old fashioned way...by inheriting it.   Wink

Nothing wrong with that, unless you are a SJW or other kind of Marxist.

OTOH, turning $1k into $100k during your first and only foray into the esoteric world of cattle future trading?  That's a "1-in-a-zillion" chance of happening legitimately.

It's almost as improbable as "accidentally" gaining millions of USD in a massive, lucky Instamine....

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: