Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:04:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312330 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Nathan047

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 08:40:41 PM

XMR seems to be be sticking within the 10$-14$ range. Is this Monero maturing and stabilizing, or is it potentially going to begin a downward trend? I'd really hate to see Monero start losing value.

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 09:05:54 PM

XMR seems to be be sticking within the 10$-14$ range. Is this Monero maturing and stabilizing, or is it potentially going to begin a downward trend? I'd really hate to see Monero start losing value.

Nobody can say for sure, but I don't see how it could go on an extended downward trend. It may for a while, but this happens to nearly all cryptos. More people are learning about Monero every day as evidenced by new users here, reddit subscribers and posters, Stack Exchange Q&A's, hash rate, etc. New features are in the works such as the updated GUI, Kovri I2P, multisig, mobile wallets, etc. If anything the price is almost certain to go up over time.

Monero is already private and fungible and is by far the best implementation of those crucial aspects. So, for me, the price is secondary to the fundamental technology. Sure, I love it when the price goes up, but when it goes down, it's not such a big deal since 1. it's not mainly about the price and 2. it's almost certain to rise long term.

So, it's still a great time to buy.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 11:36:27 PM

Guys, as a lot of the Dash people seem to sincerely believe that coinbase is gonna add them first Huh but I think around here we-all pretty much believe (more likely based on what Armstrong, Lee, etc have actually *said* lately, not to mention their actual POLL results) that it's going to be MONERO next up on their platform as the #3 crypto coin gonna be made available to the mass market... it's occurred to me today that maybe something ELSE may be in the works rather than just us or them being disappointed when this news finally comes.

Seems to me that IF maybe coinbase doesn't want to be seen as 'playing favorites' or engaging in any action that could be construed as 'manipulating the markets' maybe if they're seriously gonna add either Dash or XMR next, it might be that they kinda have to ADD BOTH OF THEM TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME??

Picking one or the other right now, especially in light of recent events, has many pro/con aspects to either decision and seems to me there's no clear correct choice other than don't do either of them OR -- better -- just do 'em both at once!!

So, is that crazy thinking or does anyone else here see maybe this might be how it'd have to play out...?

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
poptop
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1246

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 11:54:29 PM

Guys, as a lot of the Dash people seem to sincerely believe that coinbase is gonna add them first Huh but I think around here we-all pretty much believe (more likely based on what Armstrong, Lee, etc have actually *said* lately, not to mention their actual POLL results) that it's going to be MONERO next up on their platform as the #3 crypto coin gonna be made available to the mass market... it's occurred to me today that maybe something ELSE may be in the works rather than just us or them being disappointed when this news finally comes.

Seems to me that IF maybe coinbase doesn't want to be seen as 'playing favorites' or engaging in any action that could be construed as 'manipulating the markets' maybe if they're seriously gonna add either Dash or XMR next, it might be that they kinda have to ADD BOTH OF THEM TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME??

Picking one or the other right now, especially in light of recent events, has many pro/con aspects to either decision and seems to me there's no clear correct choice other than don't do either of them OR -- better -- just do 'em both at once!!

So, is that crazy thinking or does anyone else here see maybe this might be how it'd have to play out...?

Anonymous currency on coinbase? Hmm, i don't think so. It's unreal.

Moжeт ли дoмaшкa вocьмиклaccникa cтoить 1 битoк?  Huh Pынoк кpипты пepeгpeт, нo пepeгpeт ли pынoк гoлoвoлoмoк c кpиптoй? Кaк мoжнo пpятaть cвoи битoчки oт пocтopoнниx глaз? Huh Paзгaдывaeм нeдaвниe дaвниe гoлoвoлoмки Энди Бayчa вмecтe
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 11:57:37 PM

people should not get their hopes to high, will only lead to markets acting more than they should
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 12:02:27 AM

There is a lot about the sudden removal of 500 Dash masternodes (500,000 Dash) form the Dash masternode network on February 26, 2017, http://178.254.23.111/~pub/Dash/Dash_Info.html followed by the breakout in DASH/XBT and DASH/XMR on February 28,2017 https://poloniex.com/exchange#btc_dash and https://poloniex.com/exchange#xmr_dash that indicates that a very sizable leveraged long Dash position may well be behind the Dash breakout. The relevant question here is what are the likely candidates on the short side of this long Dash position. I would consider Monero for a number of reasons at the top of this list. These reasons range from consolidation in XMR/XBT after the 2016 highs, the recent lacklustre performance of Monero compared to other alt coins, Ethereum comes to mind here, to rivalry (animosity?) between the Monero and Dash communities. If my suspicions are correct and there is a sizable Monero short position that uses Dash as collateral the resulting Monero short squeeze could get very ugly, very fast, especially given the large amount of Dash that was pulled from the Dash masternode network. DASH/XMR is way more volatile than XMR/XBT, XMR/USD or XMR/EUR etc.

My take is that the risk of being short Monero or even to be lending Monero to the shorts at this time, may be extremely high.  

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 12:03:11 AM

To add douche coin would be to stick their spoon into a can of legal worms that no thinking entity would choose.   Mastermoneyservicesnodes et al, no thanks.

Either way; popcorn
KeyJockey

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 12:21:46 AM

Either way; popcorn

Oh yeah... LOL for sure on that

Thing here is, I dumped the little Dash that I'd held before -- just as a hedge -- awhile back (while simultaneously loading up on as much XMR as I could afford) so I'm a little snookered at the moment that I lost out on this recent DashPump.  But at the same time I'm *loathe* to buy back in again at this overinflated price... BUT on the other hand IF this is ALL going on, lately, in some kind of service to some upcoming epic coinbase-driven user-base expansion for BOTH COINS...Huh

In that case, it'd make sense to swallow my pride here and leave the emotions OUT of the investment decision, hold my nose and buy back the Dash that I sold off even at overinflated price, just to cover that possible base, i.e. if BOTH of 'em are about to go vertical...( Huh )

Or... nahhh... maybe better just HODL on to the stash of XMR I have already socked away and just enjoy the show, come what may...?  LOL

explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 12:40:57 AM

Either way; popcorn

Oh yeah... LOL for sure on that

Thing here is, I dumped the little Dash that I'd held before -- just as a hedge -- awhile back (while simultaneously loading up on as much XMR as I could afford) so I'm a little snookered at the moment that I lost out on this recent DashPump.  But at the same time I'm *loathe* to buy back in again at this overinflated price... BUT on the other hand IF this is ALL going on, lately, in some kind of service to some upcoming epic coinbase-driven user-base expansion for BOTH COINS...Huh

In that case, it'd make sense to swallow my pride here and leave the emotions OUT of the investment decision, hold my nose and buy back the Dash that I sold off even at overinflated price, just to cover that possible base, i.e. if BOTH of 'em are about to go vertical...( Huh )

Or... nahhh... maybe better just HODL on to the stash of XMR I have already socked away and just enjoy the show, come what may...?  LOL

How's that Douche transaction count growth been over the last ~3 years?  A good, growing useful coin, is it?  Does it increase with each name change, or how does that work?  Buying near the top of a PUMP probably not the best idea.  The DUMP will come.  Wait for it...  I was thinking to short it, and it proceeded to double while I contemplated it lol.  Now I'm nervous to call the top.  Better to just keep my hands clean.  Don't play with poo.
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 02:15:10 AM

As much as I think it would be bad for many reasons, I can see Dash being added if for no other reason than Coinbase would profit handily. They'd profit from Monero too, and Monero definitely has the better tech, but I think an exchange is looking at the number of users as the determining factor rather than the better tech since the number of users directly translates into profit per conversion (I know the Dash marketcap is highly inflated due to masternodes and number of users is less than what they say). Then there are the announcements that Dash is getting added to a major exchange (they're bought their way onto others, maybe this one too). And then there was the enormous bug bounty <--- the timing of that seems VERY telling to me, and the most logical reason I can think of is that the exchange wants more evidence of a very well-vetted codebase before they add the coin.

Maybe they'll add both Monero and Dash. Monero is the better candidate but I don't want to underestimate the power of hype and/or paying an exchange to be added. I hope Coinbase admins realize the near-pyramid scheme that it is and the rest of its problems. We'll see. But no matter what, Dash has nowhere near the privacy and fungibilty of Monero and that bodes very well for Monero long-term.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 04:34:36 AM

Monero price can fall but XMR won`t lose in value, as the value is in the technology and faster growing community.

Anonymous currency on Bitfinex? XMR/USD pair on Bitfinex and Kraken?
Unreal.

XMR on Coinbase. SoonTM.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 05:03:04 AM

I think the two major weaknesses Monero have are 1) No masternodes (only dumpages on the exchanges) 2) No ongoing marketing hype. The result is that the price declines against bitcoin.

Masternodes are a liability.  They are an attack vector for deanonymizing transactions.  We should thank Saberhagen we don't have that.  But I assume you like them because they reduce the liquidity of the float thereby causing swings in price to be more amplified.

And the ongoing marketing "hype" is just bullshit.

You seem to only be interested in Monero as a get rich quick "pump and dump" vehicle.  That's fine.  My priorities are different though.  I do NOT want marketing "hype".  When you make the price rise unnaturally you will pay for it eventually.  In fact it could be argued we are paying for the dark market hype now.

I would propose Dash better meets your desires for a cryptocurrency.

To be honest I should have invested into Dark coin when it was cheap (a couple months ago).... I think it is too late now - I am not saying it cannot go higher but definetely it is not that much of a bargain than it was.
Yes in terms of market capitalization the idea of masternodes is perfect for a crypto in the world we are living (where cryptos are merely speculation tools). Basically anything that locks coins is preventing the major dumps taking place and helps the price to increase as it is easier to pump a coin that has lowish available supply.
I think people investing in Darkcoin understand basic economics.  Wink
I am currently investigating coins to diversify, and I am interested in projects that have opportunity to rise in price. You know, I am not an idealist but a speculator.
And nope, I have no margin positions to any directions.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda,...WCS

Now go start a market hype campaign with your own funds.

Thanks  Smiley

Please do not direct the question to the funding issues.....

Why not?

I'm a big believer that if I want something I would rather do it myself. In the same respect I would expect someone who wants something to do the same.

Because me as a funder is kinda weakness of Monero compared to Dark coin that has a set budget for the hyping and pumping.

Weakness in self funding by the community that believes in a project?

Dark/DASH just sacrificed network security to allow MNs to generate "mining rewards" and took that away from the miners who secure the network. Not really a good argument there.

In the early stages this works but when the project goes forward and new people have entered it will not work so the funding system based on donations is pretty short sighted way of organizing it since it relies on the generosity of stingy people...
Also bear in mind, if a small fish donates the projects, it is the whales that benefit the most.  Wink

Based on what previous examples?

Bitcoin seems to be doing just fine without having to resort to instilling a portion of the block rewards to development of market or whatever expenses.

Once again not a very strong argument there.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:26:10 AM

Monero price can fall but XMR won`t lose in value, as the value is in the technology and faster growing community.

Unreal.

XMR on Coinbase. SoonTM.

Crazy.  Getting on to 2 major USD exchanges.

Is It True?
poptop
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1246

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 11:59:57 AM

Unreal.

XMR on Coinbase. SoonTM.

I haven't seen it. Thanks.

Is It True?

Yes, it is. http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/monero/#markets

Moжeт ли дoмaшкa вocьмиклaccникa cтoить 1 битoк?  Huh Pынoк кpипты пepeгpeт, нo пepeгpeт ли pынoк гoлoвoлoмoк c кpиптoй? Кaк мoжнo пpятaть cвoи битoчки oт пocтopoнниx глaз? Huh Paзгaдывaeм нeдaвниe дaвниe гoлoвoлoмки Энди Бayчa вмecтe
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 05:02:31 PM

Has anyone calculated the expected date of the beginning of tail emission?
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 05:55:48 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2017, 06:06:10 PM by Febo

Has anyone calculated the expected date of the beginning of tail emission?

Emission should stop decreasing somewhere in mid 2022. Maybe 29th May.  That is more then 5 years till then and that is in at least this forum Crypto almost a century.  

Right now emission is more then 13 times higher. Now think if in 5 years number of transactions only double every year ( it went x6 last year) and if there will be 13 times less daily mined coins. What would that mean to the price.

Bitcoin will have 1 halving till then Monero 13.
KeyJockey

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:05:41 PM

Is It True?

The thing that tipped my belief over into Coinbase adding Monero soonTM was actually Kraken's adding it last January.

Seems to me that both companies are probably pretty competitive, both being USA-based Silicon Valley crypto startups: whatever one does to 'lead' the other will want to 'follow suit' at least just to maintain feature compatibility.

If Kraken had added Dash only, Coinbase couldn't really only add Dash too since Monero is clearly the more advanced tech.  In this case, they'd have to add Monero to look smarter, LOL.  By contrast since Kraken added Monero *first* now already... if Coinbase 'matches' now by only adding DASH...?  They'll kind of look like idiots  Tongue

So IMHO looks like Coinbase has to add at least just Monero now, or maybe to one-up Kraken they could raise the bar and ADD BOTH MONERO AND DASH SIMULTANEOUSLY!!

ResistantLaw

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:40:22 PM

Is It True?

The thing that tipped my belief over into Coinbase adding Monero soonTM was actually Kraken's adding it last January.

Seems to me that both companies are probably pretty competitive, both being USA-based Silicon Valley crypto startups: whatever one does to 'lead' the other will want to 'follow suit' at least just to maintain feature compatibility.

If Kraken had added Dash only, Coinbase couldn't really only add Dash too since Monero is clearly the more advanced tech.  In this case, they'd have to add Monero to look smarter, LOL.  By contrast since Kraken added Monero *first* now already... if Coinbase 'matches' now by only adding DASH...?  They'll kind of look like idiots  Tongue

So IMHO looks like Coinbase has to add at least just Monero now, or maybe to one-up Kraken they could raise the bar and ADD BOTH MONERO AND DASH SIMULTANEOUSLY!!

Isn't Kraken more of an exchange rather than just somewhere to buy coins like Coinbase?

It wasn't till recently that Coinbase added Ethereum, do you think they are gonna be adding more so soon? I mean of course we hope that they will, but idk if it would be so soon. Idk why they added the Ethereum anyways, it's useless.
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 07:27:10 PM

Is It True?

The Bitfinex addition also came about with little or no pre-announcement.  Along with the escalated development progress, and the 2016 price jump, this snowball is just getting started.  Oh, and I guess the Is it True meme has died, or most of the old guard has left the forum  Sad
KeyJockey

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 07:36:46 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2017, 08:53:06 PM by KeyJockey

Isn't Kraken more of an exchange rather than just somewhere to buy coins like Coinbase?

Talking about "Coinbase" really means their GDAX exchange.  

Their re-branding to GDAX "Global Digital Asset eXchange" a while back from the simpler "Coinbase Exchange" is clearly telegraphing their long-term objective to be a worldwide trading source of all kinds of new 'digital assets' and NOT just a bitcoin-only wallet or a simple BTC sales channel, thru bank accounts (which is what they started out as).

It's this longer-term vision that I think is more important to guys like Armstrong at the helm, i.e. what makes me think in terms of them maintaining appearance of strong competitive responses to other exchanges like Jesse Powell's Kraken.

Think of the TV show "Silicon Valley" and how the personalities in that show all took everything so personal in their competitive responses to what other people did, LOL.  Sure, the show's a comedy and maybe extreme form of farce but OTOH this shit probably isn't too far off in real life, LOL.

I can just see Brian Armstrong saying something like, "Oh man sonofabitch that ponytail fuckwad Powell's already added Monero ahead of us???  Well, I'll show them who's boss!  Let's get both Monero and Dash too, launched on our site together!!  Yeah!!!  That's the ticket!!!!  Hahahahahaha"

Grin

Pages: « 1 ... 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: