Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:59:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 [1902] 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312335 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 03:51:09 PM

where is the ledger integration? It was "very very soon" two weeks ago
It cant officially happen before there is 0.12.1  Should happen this month for sure. Probably first half.

Read somewhere reddit/twitter that 0.12.1 is one to two weeks out.
Still expecting cli only. Would be a great surprise to see gui integration but I really doubt it.

You can use Ledger with the GUI. There is, however, one caveat. That is, you can only generate the wallet with the CLI.

Why is that? Are there potential security issues with generating through the GUI, or just something else entirely?

Wallet creation in the command line requires a different argument and will interact with the existing 24 word seed in your ledger.  I think that functionality will just need to be mirrored in the gui.  A button for wallet creation from Ledger and such...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 06:18:42 PM

It cant officially happen before there is 0.12.1  Should happen this month for sure. Probably first half.

Still expecting cli only. Would be a great surprise to see gui integration but I really doubt it.

You can use Ledger with the GUI. There is, however, one caveat. That is, you can only generate the wallet with the CLI.

Why is that? Are there potential security issues with generating through the GUI, or just something else entirely?

Wallet creation in the command line requires a different argument and will interact with the existing 24 word seed in your ledger.  I think that functionality will just need to be mirrored in the gui.  A button for wallet creation from Ledger and such...

Correct.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
rinus

Activity: 362
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 06:26:00 PM

Correct.

When could this button be ready? Smiley
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 11:24:43 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2018, 11:35:34 PM by birr

In this case I find the "short", selling XMV from the air drop, even more appealing since MoneroV goes against something I hold very dear in Monero.  

So, claiming the MoneroVs in order to dump them is not potentially reducing the privacy of Monero anymore?

One has to use the mitigations provided in version 0.12.x of Monero.  https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/7826/how-can-individuals-safeguard-themselves-and-the-community-against-a-key-reusing/ The objective in both cases is to have at least 6 identical pre fork fake outputs when spending on both chains.  There are two cases here.

1) MoneroV  XMV
MoneroV will, according to the Monerov developers be supporting the mitigations and  have replay protection. So to claim the MoneroV one first spends one Monero to another Monero Wallet one controls, and this is very important, using
segregate-pre-fork-outputs in monero-wallet-cli or "I will spend on a key reusing fork" in monero-wallet-gui, ensures that spending a pre-fork output only uses pre-fork fake outputs, since spending on both blockchains will moot post-fork outputs.
One should verify the that rings are using pre fork fake outputs before making the spend.  Make sure to set the MoneroV fork block to 1564965. Now if one installs the MoneroV software over the now empty Monero wallet it should recognize the shared RingDB; however since the MoneroV software is not available at this point this cannot be verified. There is no rush at this point with claiming the MoneroV.  I would wait until one understands how the MoneroV software works before claiming the MoneroV.

2) Monero Original / Classic  XMO / XMC
This does not support the mitigation nor does it have replay protection. There is a limited replay protection on the Monero side because of the increase in ring size from 5 to 7. On the other hand because it used the existing version 0.11.x of Monero there is no risk of a malicious back door introduced by the XMO / XMC developers. In this case one has to spend the Monero Original / Classic first. It is imperative that this be done only to a wallet one controls because of the risk of a replay attack on the Monero chain. Furthermore in order to generate the minimum common pre fork outputs I ended up using a large ring size on the Monero Original / Classic. One then has to enter the rings by hand in to the V0.12.x version of Monero and then spend the Monero to a wallet one controls. This locks out the replay attack. One can then spend the Monero Original / Classic.
Thanks for the stackexchange link.  Just started reading it, will take time to digest.
I'm getting ready to send some xmr to an exchange.  In the event that I decide to claim the monerov later, are there precautions I need to take now with this transaction?  My initial impression is that I can go ahead and make the transaction, and that if I need to deal with print_ring and so forth, that comes later.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 12:23:19 AM

Correct.

When could this button be ready? Smiley

with 0.12.1 maybe?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 12:31:17 AM

Thanks for the stackexchange link.  Just started reading it, will take time to digest.
I'm getting ready to send some xmr to an exchange.  In the event that I decide to claim the monerov later, are there precautions I need to take now with this transaction?  My initial impression is that I can go ahead and make the transaction, and that if I need to deal with print_ring and so forth, that comes later.

The is a very important precaution that you need to take now. When you spend your XMR You need to make use of the mitigation I quoted above in order to ensure that the fake outputs used by a pre fork output are all before the fork, since only pre fork outputs can be identical on both chains.

Edit: It is also best if the XMR spends to empty the wallet, be to a wallet you control, and then from that wallet make a spend to a third party such as an exchange.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:04:04 AM

The is a very important precaution that you need to take now. When you spend your XMR You need to make use of the mitigation I quoted above in order to ensure that the fake outputs used by a pre fork output are all before the fork, since only pre fork outputs can be identical on both chains.

Edit: It is also best if the XMR spends to empty the wallet, be to a wallet you control, and then from that wallet make a spend to a third party such as an exchange.

I don't get it, why would an exchange have to freeze the wallets for a goddamn snapshot???

XMR is currently under maintenance or experiencing wallet issues. Deposits and withdrawals will remain disabled as we work to find, test, and audit a solution. Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 04:36:08 AM

Filling up @ 0.025  Grin
KiXiNiT

Activity: 100
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 08:15:52 AM

Brutal couple of weeks for Monero, has virtually been left behind on the run up.

Maybe now its rid of the forks it can make some moves.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:30:00 PM

Brutal couple of weeks for Monero, has virtually been left behind on the run up.

Monero has a bit of a tradition of being more stable during both alt bulls and alt bears. 

Until it decides to take a quantum leap.

At least this is the way things have gone for XMR in the past.

It's pretty common to feel like you are missing out on the party when you hold Monero.  Monero throws it's own parties.
leea-1334

Activity: 2240
Merit: 953

Temporary forum vacation

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:39:35 PM

Actually, I know this is a suggestion that is always recommended, but why not just wait it out and leave the XMR in your wallet, be patient and claim your fork coins after the dust has settled on all the possible vulnerabilities and threats? I am actually not claiming the forks for Monero but I did that with Bitcoin last year and faced no issues. Maybe you lose some money after the spike, but in fact I made more selling my Bcash long after the fork when it shot up in price later on.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:43:03 PM

the mitigation I quoted above
presumably refers to segregate-pre-fork-outputs.
That isn't a command, so it must be a flag or an option that one appends to the transfer command, is that right?  I use cli.
So the syntax is to type a transfer command with segregate-pre-fork-outputs (no preceding hyphen) at the end of the line?
KiXiNiT

Activity: 100
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 04:11:00 PM

Monero has a bit of a tradition of being more stable during both alt bulls and alt bears. 

It's pretty common to feel like you are missing out on the party when you hold Monero.  Monero throws it's own parties.

Yep it throws its own late and not as big parties.

Hence its steady slide down the rankings from being a top 5 coin to where it is now
mnemonicsoup

Activity: 200
Merit: 114

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:36:43 PM

Still one of my favourite posts in this thread:

It's not about HW wallets or anything, XMR is being price suppressed because big players are accumulating it big time. As someone said smart money is well aware of monero and they want to keep it as much as they can for themselves until inflation is low and they can mark the price way up

Didn't you guys notice we always are the last to pump ? its because pump happen in hierarchical orders, first you get the shittest of the the shitcoins with the wierd names like GROESTLECOIN and so on, then you got noob coins and strange coins and semi good coins, and when smart money has taken dumb money for as much as they can they pump XMR because they need to store their accumulated wealth somewhere, and whats the better place than monero?

Next year, we'll be at 4% inflation, this is bitcoin level now, and then quickly we'll be under bitcoin yearly inflation... this will be the time to mark up the price BIG TIME, I'm talking BTC current level

This is a slow play, this is like poker when you got quad aces and you want to take as much as you can from the noobs, you take your time, you let dumb money bids and buy DRAGONCHAIN and then you put your profit back into XMR.

RINSE and REPEAT until we're at 2-3% inflation and price is above 10K and doesn't come back.
rinus

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 05:42:08 AM

Xmr being banned on more and more exchanges, what do u guys think about that?
It looks like we found a bottom at 240 usd... that’s ok but it’s still x4 to 1000 like many believe
It will reach. Let’s see ...
17men

Activity: 314
Merit: 19

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 05:55:11 AM

I've seen some tweets and news about Japan will ban some "privacy" cryptocurrencies like XMR.

Do you guys think is that possible? yes, the governments may ban some exchanges but nothing else. Filled up @0.025, hope to sell @0.03
20% of profit would be nice to me  Grin

buy me a beer with ETH : 0x71b959c89ca613cce3d7b3270149d919143c1dff
elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 06:33:14 AM

It looks like we found a bottom at 240 usd... that’s ok but it’s still x4 to 1000 like many believe

Links for that  Roll Eyes

rinus

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 06:36:01 AM

Sorry, here u go

https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/05/04/japanese-fsa-discriminating-anonymous-cryptocurrencies-shows-why-decentralized-exchanges-are-needed/
elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 06:37:21 AM

Sorry, here u go

https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/05/04/japanese-fsa-discriminating-anonymous-cryptocurrencies-shows-why-decentralized-exchanges-are-needed/

Just Japan, well that's not enough for a significant drop  Grin

mnemonicsoup

Activity: 200
Merit: 114

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 07:30:21 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2018, 10:53:20 AM by mnemonicsoup

Links for that  Roll Eyes

Sorry, here u go

There is no ban in Japan, just a recommendation by the FSA(Financial Services Agency) and so far no one has followed it. From your linked article:

“Unfortunately, Coincheck and Monex already delisted all three currencies a while ago. So far, they are the only companies to do so.”

So, two exchanges delisted XMR (and others) but not related to this FSA recommendation because it was before that.
So, writing “XMR banned on more and more exchanges” is clearly exaggerated for dramatic effect. Smiley

Also the coincheck (and perhaps Monex) delisting is probably related to the coincheck hack (as I’ve read somewhere). Something about them being afraid that the privacycoins could be used to obfuscate the stolen NEM. Perhaps that decision even influenced the FSA in their recommendation.
Pages: « 1 ... 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 [1902] 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: