Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:13:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 [1918] 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312338 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 03:16:19 PM

I don't think you understand that centralizing network hash with ASICs is detrimental to network security.
I don't think you understanding anything about cryptocurrencies.

Have you heard about Bitcoin? It's the most secure crypto network, courtesy of ASICs.

It's scary that a decision so important was taken following a Reddit mob, or a secret committee of devs, with such a poor understanding of the matter.

Mining centralization hasn't made Bitcoin the most secure network, it's made it an easy target for China if they decide they want to disrupt the network--looking at hashing power in a vacuum is a pointless exercise as there are numerous factors that go into how secure a network is.

Also, the person you are addressing has forgotten more about cryptocurrencies than you know, or likely will ever know.
I agreed, he has probably forgotten a lot more than I could.

I am happy to learn that Bitcoin isn't the most secure network because you say so. You are an invaluable source of knowledge.

Bitcoin developers would make Bitcoin ASIC resistant if they could.  But they cant since Bitcoin dont fork every half year to make needed upgrades.  Sooner or latter Monero will not be ASIC resistant anymore. Lets hope that will not be so soon and lets hope  ASIC market will mature until then.

Maybe a stupid question, but did we see crypto at its best already? It went mainstream and now that everybody  heard about it, its like people have less interest in it. So could we say that it peaked already and that it’s foolish to wait and hold until we see 500 again?

No

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Febo
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 04:22:50 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2018, 04:41:14 PM by Febo

I don't think you understand that centralizing network hash with ASICs is detrimental to network security.

Have you heard about Bitcoin? It's the most secure crypto network, courtesy of ASICs.

It's scary that a decision so important was taken following a Reddit mob, or a secret committee of devs, with such a poor understanding of the matter.

Mining centralization hasn't made Bitcoin the most secure network, it's made it an easy target for China if they decide they want to disrupt the network--looking at hashing power in a vacuum is a pointless exercise as there are numerous factors that go into how secure a network is.

Also, the person you are addressing has forgotten more about cryptocurrencies than you know, or likely will ever know.

I am happy to learn that Bitcoin isn't the most secure network because you say so. You are an invaluable source of knowledge.

Bitcoin developers would make Bitcoin ASIC resistant if they could.  But they cant since Bitcoin dont fork every half year to make needed upgrades.  Sooner or latter Monero will not be ASIC resistant anymore. Lets hope that will not be so soon and lets hope  ASIC market will mature until then.
The fact that Bitcoin devs cannot fork Bitcoin to change a core feature on a whim is one reason why Monero will never compete against Bitcoin on the monetary use case.

The fact that the devs can change the POW on Monero is a fucking disgrace and strongly diminish its long term expected value. I look forward to see their next unilateral change of a core protocol feature.

No the fact that this is possible is because Monero had forks every 6 months and until that will go on will be possible.  Why that is possible, because Monero developers are not afraid of anyone to keep old fork alive as many other coins developers are.

BldSwtTrs if you like ASIC mined Monero you have it. It dont have few important upgrades but there it is. Support it and make it grow and donate or hire their developers to develop it further or at least copy/paste new Monero code there.   You can do it. But all this is sort of offcopic here then.   Dont say something is disgrace, just do it better and show the way with example.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 06:08:43 PM

Send me your useless Monero if you like. Now you realise how worthless it is.

Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 06:23:39 PM

0.12.2.0 tagged for release. https://github.com/monero-project/monero/releases/tag/v0.12.2.0

The reddit fam are thinking with this release a more official announcement of ledger support will occur.
May add a little today on the pure hope that ledger support isn't fully priced in. Assuming that affects price at all.
SolarStorm

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 07:49:46 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but did we see crypto at its best already? It went mainstream and now that everybody  heard about it, its like people have less interest in it. So could we say that it peaked already and that it’s foolish to wait and hold until we see 500 again?

Crypto is by far not mainstream yet. In comparison we are in the era that the steam engine was invented, and while everyone in the village had heard about one because gossip travels fast, nobody ever had seen one let alone used one. The interest will faint away until someone actually enters the village with a steam powered engine.

The time that more than just a handful of people are going to realize that this steam powered noisy thing is more than just  a rumor and they see how useful it actually is, is still before us. I believe the 'facebook moment' of crypto will come once people can earn crypto in mobile phone games.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 08:14:36 PM

So what are people implying here?

That's ASIC owners were also the coin pumpers and manipulators?

Some points:

- Hashrate was DOMINATED by "unknown" players last year and up to the HF.
- This was often attributed to botnets.
- 2 manufacturers produced CN ASICS around the time of this increase
- The moment the hashing alg was changed >60% hashrate disappeared.
- Three versions of the old chain were created (XMC, XMO, XMsomethingelse)
- Much of the displaced hashrate seemed to go to these chains.

It has been suggested that tBitmain created the ASICS, burned them in for a while (what?  6 months? lol)  And thten put them on the market.

It has been suggested that Bitmain (or some other ASIC manufacturer) created one or more of the "classic" chains to continue to be mined by ASICS.

It seems Zooko met with Jihan Wu and determined by feels that Jihan had nothing to do with the extra hashrate or the forks.

Butterfly Labs

Wonderful story, one of the first of its kind with a few others around then

Asic hardware and hardware mining companies need full transparency to determine legitmacy, unlike what you would expect in the gold market

Explains how it all works.
https://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6833047/bitcoin-conspiracy-theorists-vindicated-as-ftc-shuts-down-butterfly-labs

How to play the market

just play the scam (in other words all markets have a collective that can dump at any time - fiat, stocks, gold, crypto)
follow the whales, buy the dip

its a buy the dip scheme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0akBdQa55b4

Grin
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:01:09 PM

The fact that Bitcoin devs cannot fork Bitcoin to change a core feature on a whim is one reason why Monero will never compete against Bitcoin on the monetary use case.

The fact that the devs can change the POW on Monero is a fucking disgrace and strongly diminish its long term expected value. I look forward to see their next unilateral change of a core protocol feature.

Did you buy one by any chance? Seem a bit sore there. Hueristic's comments are spot on. Its not just about hash. Its about distributed hash. So the overall hash needs to be weighted by the participants in the network. Look what the 51%ers have done to a number of coins lately. Being dynamic on your algo moves from the MAD doctrine to the SAD one. These being 'mutually assured destruction' to 'singularly assured destruction'.  ASICS would be fine if they were a commodity and all miners would easily have access. Maybe one day but until then....

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
airdrophunter

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

The Exchange for EOS Community

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:13:56 PM

Since i joined in this forum, it was only then that i know about some of alternate coins that is flying in colors and Monero is one of them. It almost reached 500$ mark before it went down. I speculate that when bitcoin will have an ATH this year, Monero will also have a new price high too.

|   EOS Exchange   |▌       The Exchange for the EOS Community!       |   EOSex   |
                          ICO: 15th October to 20th November  |  Free EXP Tokens: Join Bounty!                          
Whitepaper                 ANN Thread                 Telegram                 Twitter                 Mobile
Febo
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:04:53 AM
Merited by Globb0 (2)

Since i joined in this forum, it was only then that i know about some of alternate coins that is flying in colors and Monero is one of them. It almost reached 500$ mark before it went down. I speculate that when bitcoin will have an ATH this year, Monero will also have a new price high too.

Only if we will have new BTC ATH this year Smiley

It seems we are finally at Ledger support. Lithium Luna 0.12.2 for CLI is finally here: https://github.com/monero-project/monero/releases/tag/v0.12.2.0   I am not sure, but I guess we will soon see some Ledger announcements now, or maybe I have no ideas  Roll Eyes

CryptoPH

Activity: 161

<3 Crypto

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:24:28 AM

No the fact that this is possible is because Monero had forks every 6 months and until that will go on will be possible.  Why that is possible, because Monero developers are not afraid of anyone to keep old fork alive as many other coins developers are.

BldSwtTrs if you like ASIC mined Monero you have it. It dont have few important upgrades but there it is. Support it and make it grow and donate or hire their developers to develop it further or at least copy/paste new Monero code there.   You can do it. But all this is sort of offcopic here then.   Dont say something is disgrace, just do it better and show the way with example.

BitcoinCash was created with disagreement on core features...
Shall I look forward on MoneroCash? Cool

CryptoPH

Activity: 161

<3 Crypto

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:26:09 AM

Crossing $500 mark will aim at new ATH, up to psychological resistance of $1000, I guess.  Cool

Febo
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 10:27:36 AM

BitcoinCash was created with disagreement on core features...
Shall I look forward on MoneroCash? Cool

Yes it was, but was not a fork by the core developers like Monero fork twice a year. They will not do it as ETH would not do it or ZCash.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 12:46:25 PM

0.12.2.0 tagged for release. https://github.com/monero-project/monero/releases/tag/v0.12.2.0

The reddit fam are thinking with this release a more official announcement of ledger support will occur.
May add a little today on the pure hope that ledger support isn't fully priced in. Assuming that affects price at all.

Great to see but yeah, it's already priced in. You never know though a P&D may follow but I will bet against a major floor raise. Although I think we turned the corner on the slide so this is indeed great news.

No the fact that this is possible is because Monero had forks every 6 months and until that will go on will be possible.  Why that is possible, because Monero developers are not afraid of anyone to keep old fork alive as many other coins developers are.

BldSwtTrs if you like ASIC mined Monero you have it. It dont have few important upgrades but there it is. Support it and make it grow and donate or hire their developers to develop it further or at least copy/paste new Monero code there.   You can do it. But all this is sort of offcopic here then.   Dont say something is disgrace, just do it better and show the way with example.

Either your feeding a troll or he is ignorant of so many basic concepts have fun catching him up to date. Wink

So what are people implying here?

That's ASIC owners were also the coin pumpers and manipulators?

Some points:

- Hashrate was DOMINATED by "unknown" players last year and up to the HF.
- This was often attributed to botnets.
- 2 manufacturers produced CN ASICS around the time of this increase
- The moment the hashing alg was changed >60% hashrate disappeared.
- Three versions of the old chain were created (XMC, XMO, XMsomethingelse)
- Much of the displaced hashrate seemed to go to these chains.

It has been suggested that tBitmain created the ASICS, burned them in for a while (what?  6 months? lol)  And thten put them on the market.

It has been suggested that Bitmain (or some other ASIC manufacturer) created one or more of the "classic" chains to continue to be mined by ASICS.

It seems Zooko met with Jihan Wu and determined by feels that Jihan had nothing to do with the extra hashrate or the forks.

Butterfly Labs

Wonderful story, one of the first of its kind with a few others around then

Asic hardware and hardware mining companies need full transparency to determine legitmacy, unlike what you would expect in the gold market

Explains how it all works.
https://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6833047/bitcoin-conspiracy-theorists-vindicated-as-ftc-shuts-down-butterfly-labs

How to play the market

just play the scam (in other words all markets have a collective that can dump at any time - fiat, stocks, gold, crypto)
follow the whales, buy the dip

its a buy the dip scheme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0akBdQa55b4

The bolded is not true at all, butterfly labs failed because of the monolithic structure of the chip which in turn caused a cascading effect making them non competitive. Their delays and capitol bleeding were all do to TDP, A company that has the resources to build something in the background like bitmain did, has no need of transparency and neither does intel, AMd, samsung or a host of other manufacturers.

Hah, O wait I see your problem, it's your reading comprehension. From your article, they didn't fail because of transparency at all in providing hardware. The real failure was they were unable to compete by the time they shipped.

As pointed out in court filings Butterfly Labs made last night, Butterfly Labs has shipped more than $33 million in products to customers and voluntarily granted refunds approximating $17 million to customers for cancelled orders. Butterfly Labs was literally is in the midst of shipping out completed products to fulfill the remaining millions of dollars of orders on our books and issuing requested refunds, when the FTC effectively closed the doors of Butterfly Labs without any chance to be heard in court.

I believe you are correct sir.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Katashi

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:20:50 PM

I guess monero lost it's stronghold for now, from top 5 it losses it's position to now 12 i guess. I believe the blame is on the devs itself because of there are no upcoming news or further developments as of now. I guess it is time for the devs to come up with something new that may convince it's previous and new investors. Not just another community hype but a progress that will make XMR a promising coin for the future.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit InvestBox| 
BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY
🏆
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:38:03 PM
Merited by infofront (1)

I guess monero lost it's stronghold for now, from top 5 it losses it's position to now 12 i guess. I believe the blame is on the devs itself because of there are no upcoming news or further developments as of now. I guess it is time for the devs to come up with something new that may convince it's previous and new investors. Not just another community hype but a progress that will make XMR a promising coin for the future.

Orrrr, maybe it's designed to be money and not a investment opportunity as in if you read any of the literature?

But you can always get a bunch of redditors to back Mcafee and you'll get a quick pump to exit on.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Febo
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:43:05 PM

XMR is being added to Huobi???

https://twitter.com/BitMartian/status/1003985430273028096

If this is true it is big. Huobi is last big exchange without Monero.  I believe you can withdraw small daily amounts even when not verified account.  Like blast from the past.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 02:06:57 PM

I believe the blame is on the devs itself because of there are no upcoming news or further developments

Stop eating the lead based paint from your rocking horse
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 04:29:18 PM

I think you don't get the point about security... now let's say BTC and Monero would both have the same Price ... what do you think is more secure AND decentralized.... a monero that can be CPU&GPU mined by ANYONE... or aj ASIC mined Bitcoin where way less people mine and the biggest stashes are likely mined by the HW producers themselves
acorcos

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 04:41:09 PM

My long term target for XMR is a price of at least 0.1 BTC. Crypto market has highly demand for anonymous assets in times where government institutions try to regulate whole crypto markets.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 05:26:24 PM

Ledger CLI guides (requires CLI v0.12.2.0)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/8op6cp/ledger_cli_guides_requires_cli_v01220/

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/8503/how-do-i-generate-a-ledger-monero-wallet-with-the-cli-monero-wallet-cli

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Pages: « 1 ... 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 [1918] 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: