Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:59:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 [1998] 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312276 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2018, 03:15:14 PM

Anyone feel that Monero is likely to be 'made illegal'?

Thoughts here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/a2p8cq/the_clock_is_ticking/

Hmm... to force exchanges to avoid privacy coins is feasible, but it would look as it is - overly authoritarian.  

If they try, it cannot be a global ban very easily, either.  I hope they won't try. I do think people would fight an overt 'ban' in most countries.  In an age where real money-laundering by massive banks is 'normal' - it would seem total hypocrisy to try to ban a coin with a transaction level such as that of Monero's.  

And if it becomes much bigger, I doubt it will be possible to try to ban it - as they may simply fail and create a coin that ONLY works underground and in illegal ways.  

<insert random Nietzsche quote here>

That's why I'm so happy to see a lot of people doing OTC trading/bisq usage from Monero people.  Seems like it's always the highest volume trading pair on bisq at least.  As long as someone is willing to sell and you are willing to buy, there will always be a market and decentralized exchanges will be in need.  

Even though I haven't used it in a while, bisq and other decentralized exchanges will have to be the answer if there is a ban on all KYC exchanges

I haven't ever used a decentralised exchange, but I will check Bisq out, I would like to support the concept at least.  But does it sort the fiat/crypto issue?

It’s a similar concept to localbitcoins, but with “honest” peers acting as mediators (who make a small percentage of the trade), and have the options to use zelle, cash deposits, face to face, etc.

You should really check them out if you don’t know someone else to OTC trade with. Even when I used it 2 years ago or so it was really nice and my transactions went through flawlessly
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 06:12:37 PM

Anyone feel that Monero is likely to be 'made illegal'?

Thoughts here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/a2p8cq/the_clock_is_ticking/

Hmm... to force exchanges to avoid privacy coins is feasible, but it would look as it is - overly authoritarian.  

If they try, it cannot be a global ban very easily, either.  I hope they won't try. I do think people would fight an overt 'ban' in most countries.  In an age where real money-laundering by massive banks is 'normal' - it would seem total hypocrisy to try to ban a coin with a transaction level such as that of Monero's.  

And if it becomes much bigger, I doubt it will be possible to try to ban it - as they may simply fail and create a coin that ONLY works underground and in illegal ways.  

<insert random Nietzsche quote here>

That's why I'm so happy to see a lot of people doing OTC trading/bisq usage from Monero people.  Seems like it's always the highest volume trading pair on bisq at least.  As long as someone is willing to sell and you are willing to buy, there will always be a market and decentralized exchanges will be in need.  

Even though I haven't used it in a while, bisq and other decentralized exchanges will have to be the answer if there is a ban on all KYC exchanges

I haven't ever used a decentralised exchange, but I will check Bisq out, I would like to support the concept at least.  But does it sort the fiat/crypto issue?

It’s a similar concept to localbitcoins, but with “honest” peers acting as mediators (who make a small percentage of the trade), and have the options to use zelle, cash deposits, face to face, etc.

You should really check them out if you don’t know someone else to OTC trade with. Even when I used it 2 years ago or so it was really nice and my transactions went through flawlessly

Thanks for that (and to Febo), I will check it out, it's something I have never tried - I have stuck to more regular exchanges for years, about time I tried a decentralised one.  I love the idea of selling Monero in as close to an OTC as poss.  If it's for cash (and relatively safe) that could be an interesting plus...

我想要火箭和火车
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 06:17:37 PM

Only thing I know about bisq is it's run by these 2 blokes.
Never heard a bad thing about them.
It's not a 'decentralised exchange', and thank goodness for it, because that wouldn't make any sense.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2018, 08:07:46 PM

It's not a 'decentralised exchange', and thank goodness for it, because that wouldn't make any sense.

Did I miss something?

There are already other decentralized exchanges. How is Bisq different?

Currently no other project fits our definition of a decentralized bitcoin-to-fiat exchange. Open Bazaar stands alone in mirroring Bisq’s principles, but they’re a full market place, not a specialized currency exchange. Most exchanges claiming to be decentralized are either not supporting fiat exchange or operate with a server architecture and do not fit our definition. And of course there are a lot of ICO projects with whitepapers but they have not proven yet that they can deliver any working software.

To be properly decentralized, one must avoid single points of failure:

*Bisq does not hold any bitcoins. All are held in multisignature addresses rather than a Bisq-controlled wallet.
*Bisq does not hold any national currency. National currency is transferred directly from one trader to the other.
*Bisq uses a Peer-to-Peer network over Tor. This means there are no servers to be hacked or DDoS’d.
*Bisq does not know the traders. No data is stored on who trades with whom.
*Bisq does not require registration. This means privacy is maintained, there are no “approval” wait times, and identity theft becomes impossible.
*Bisq is not a company. It is an open source project organized as a Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO).

Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 09:09:10 PM

Did I miss something?
Not sure that quoting their own definitions is valid.
Just so is the case with Bitcoins and markets : it makes perfect sense for the currency itself to be decentralized. It makes absolutely no sense at all for the marketplace to be decentralized. In fact, a decentralized market is about as much a market as a deenginized car is a car. The market is precisely where economic agents come together, that's what it does, it centralizes trade. Further, it is sensible for the currency itself to be as trustless as possible, and thus mechanisms that implement trustlessness are a net gain in that field. A market can never exist at all without trust, and so mechanisms that purportedly implement "trustlessness" are nothing but clunk in this field.
Take bisq and their arbitration process: trust and centralisation around the 2 fellows.
Or their software: you have to trust whatever is on their repository unless you've read and agree with every line of the code, because as we were reminded recently, 'open source' does not get nearly enough eyes on it.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2018, 09:37:22 PM

Did I miss something?
Just so is the case with Bitcoins and markets : it makes perfect sense for the currency itself to be decentralized. It makes absolutely no sense at all for the marketplace to be decentralized. In fact, a decentralized market is about as much a market as a deenginized car is a car. The market is precisely where economic agents come together, that's what it does, it centralizes trade. Further, it is sensible for the currency itself to be as trustless as possible, and thus mechanisms that implement trustlessness are a net gain in that field. A market can never exist at all without trust, and so mechanisms that purportedly implement "trustlessness" are nothing but clunk in this field.
Take bisq and their arbitration process: trust and centralisation around the 2 fellows.
Or their software: you have to trust whatever is on their repository unless you've read and agree with every line of the code, because as we were reminded recently, 'open source' does not get nearly enough eyes on it.

Do you have evidence that the software doesn't work as advertised? Presuming all opensource software doesn't work as advertised is shrugging the community's responsibility to vet software, which may be fine for you, but in the case of a decentralized exchange would be disastrous--even if it just the exchange getting caught, as unlike you, most people want the exchange to actually be decentralized and would cease using it if it was revealed as otherwise.

How does their arbitration process work? If it isn't being used, or even better, can't be used in most circumstances, I don't think many would have a problem with it. Like most things in technology, decentralization is spectrum, so unless there's a single point of failure, I'd say it's still decentralized--especially if the majority of the processes are out of anyone's hands once they issue their order.

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 11:08:17 PM

Potential flaws exist in most systems - even in Bitcoin, where exchanges in particular are hardly flawless, I think the effort to offer decentralised exchange is at the very least worthwhile.  

Superficially it looks better than buying drugs on the street - so I guess in the absence of evidence, I must do my own research and find out if there is evidence of absence (of security of transactions) in my own case.

Unless anyone else with any credibility has an account of an issue actually personally experienced.

我想要火箭和火车
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 12:55:00 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2018, 05:42:43 PM by Febo

As I understood a month ago when I listened 3 interviews and podcasts about BisQ they said that when there is a case of dispute, then solving that is still centralized and is done  by original developers. They dont trust anyone else. But that they plan to solve that in future differently.  They lack of developers to move forward as fast as they would love to.  Although Monero had so much volume they could not put all their focus into Monero fiat pair integration. They even made a bounty for people to help them. Propose how to integrate Monero wallet into Bisq https://github.com/bisq-network/bisq/issues/1863

As I see this is that we now have v0.9.0.  When we will get to v1.0.0  , that will mean that we got somewhere. It could take long time. But we cant have super huge expectations before that happens.
CryptoPH

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

<3 Crypto

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 01:47:44 PM

I'm not spreading FUD, but has anyone seen this price projection?

XMR @ <0.007 BTC

https://twitter.com/ezbrahBTC/status/1070664392876875777
https://twitter.com/MeatTC_/status/1020783981925732353

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 1403

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 02:13:17 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2018, 02:42:08 PM by tokeweed

^  You mean those two random people on the Twitters with fake followers drawing random lines on an XMR chart?  Any 4 year old can do that.  Lmao.

Edit:  Skillz.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
CryptoPH

Activity: 161

<3 Crypto

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 02:57:12 PM

Great! You know how to do it to. You're the man!  Cool

^  You mean those two random people on the Twitters with fake followers drawing random lines on an XMR chart?  Any 4 year old can do that.  Lmao.

Edit:  Skillz.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 02:58:27 PM
Merited by Kryptowerk (1)

XMR @ <0.007 BTC

Currently I am having a hard time seeing these isolated charts.  So much is happening in crypto/finance right now.

Ethereum imploding and reaching the technical wall so many of us saw coming.
BCH melting down.
BSV being propped up by a billionaire or two.
The era of forks slowing.
The era of blockchain attacks is heating up (e.g. vertcoin attack)
What is beginning to look like 2008-2009 scenario in world markets. (Global reset possible)

So these things just don't move in isolation.
karthcrypt

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

“Revolutionising Marketing and Loyalty”

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 03:11:59 PM

I am hoping for a day and indeed a time when bitcoin will not have any influence on monero price in the cryptocurrency market.  I think monero is capable of holding it's own.  The value of monero should be derive from it's use cases!

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 4824

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 04:21:14 PM

Did I miss something?

Do you have evidence that the software doesn't work as advertised? Presuming all opensource software doesn't work as advertised is shrugging the community's responsibility to vet software, which may be fine for you, but in the case of a decentralized exchange would be disastrous--even if it just the exchange getting caught, as unlike you, most people want the exchange to actually be decentralized and would cease using it if it was revealed as otherwise.

How does their arbitration process work? If it isn't being used, or even better, can't be used in most circumstances, I don't think many would have a problem with it. Like most things in technology, decentralization is spectrum, so unless there's a single point of failure, I'd say it's still decentralized--especially if the majority of the processes are out of anyone's hands once they issue their order.

He is correct that all software should be considered suspect unless it is vetted by a source you trust. Trusted in some ghost community is just as bad as trusting in microshaft. All it takes is one infiltrated library. Remember when I was asking all those questions about ZeroMq? Also you rrmeber I was saying from day 1 that json was an attack vector and should be removed from the local software and was pretty much laughed at and it turned out i was correct.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2018, 04:36:30 PM

Did I miss something?

He is correct that all software should be considered suspect unless it is vetted by a source you trust. Trusted in some ghost community is just as bad as trusting in microshaft. All it takes is one infiltrated library. Remember when I was asking all those questions about ZeroMq? Also you rrmeber I was saying from day 1 that json was an attack vector and should be removed from the local software and was pretty much laughed at and it turned out i was correct.

Oh you're right, but that doesn't mean you just accuse devs of lying when you haven't gone through and even looked yourself. You're speaking for community's safety, I'm speaking for the dev's reputation.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 4824

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 06:33:49 PM

Oh you're right, but that doesn't mean you just accuse devs of lying when you haven't gone through and even looked yourself. You're speaking for community's safety, I'm speaking for the dev's reputation.

Yeah,there is always a measure of trust if you do not do the code review yourself. The main thing is for you to decide what level of trust is acceptable.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Kryptowerk
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1401

Disobey.

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 09:36:28 PM

XMR @ <0.007 BTC

Currently I am having a hard time seeing these isolated charts.  So much is happening in crypto/finance right now.

BCH melting down.
What is beginning to look like 2008-2009 scenario in world markets. (Global reset possible)

True words. It's like an equation with at least 5 unknown variables. If we place (random) values / make assumptions in three of them, leaving only two "unknowns" we can come up with a graph that shows some possible outcomes.
Right now anyone claiming to know what's gonna happen next is (at least slightly) delusional. Just my opinion.
Even great projects with high quality code, constant development and true innovation have a good chance to suffer in short/midterm from a crash of traditional markets. Hopefully it won't happen, but it seems quite likely.

Get educated about Bitcoin. Check out Andreas Antonopoulos on Youtube. An old but gold talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc744Z9IjhY

Daniel Schmachtenberger on The Meta-Crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBoLVvoqVY&t=288s One of the most important talks about the current state of this planet. Go check it out.
pönde

Activity: 308
Merit: 109

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 09:44:40 PM

XMR @ <0.007 BTC

BCH melting down.

Well those are good sings.

But what do you think about this?
https://breakermag.com/when-wall-street-financializes-bitcoin-who-benefits/

Most people are unable to make difference between paper BTC and real BTC. But blockchain can. So we need actual use of BTC on real shopping.
H.W.P

Activity: 602

Decentralized Digital Billboards

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 09:52:40 PM

Damn why Monroe is not growing, he still didn’t show ToTheMoon in relation to the cue ball, it seems to me that in 2019 he can show us this, but he will have to suffer, in general, the network is one of the most promising.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 09:55:59 PM

Damn why Monroe is not growing, he still didn’t show ToTheMoon in relation to the cue ball, it seems to me that in 2019 he can show us this, but he will have to suffer, in general, the network is one of the most promising.

The master would be sad to see you following an ALT I think. Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 [1998] 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: