Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:46:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312338 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:19:37 PM

ummm,

who are you telling to fuck off???

I am a monero supporter as well as a jl777 supporter.  Can't we all just get along?Huh

That post was supposed to show that jl777 was still open to adding monero to the supernet core..

I thought only the first line was a jl777 quote.

Then target my response at jl777 (but he didn't post it here, why did you?)
It's signed James at the end.

I don;t know your name.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:22:31 PM

I hope you have hired some bodyguards - seriously bro stay safe...

I would not like to be the guy who wrongs / tries to harm me. I believe in personal responsibility.

In some parts of the world people kill each other for a few bucks ...

People have killed Presidents of the United States also. But I don't remember anyone doing it twice.

/let's close this sidetrack.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:23:06 PM

ummm,

who are you telling to fuck off???

I am a monero supporter as well as a jl777 supporter.  Can't we all just get along?Huh

That post was supposed to show that jl777 was still open to adding monero to the supernet core..

Monero does not support any kind of "IPO", nor does Monero add any kind of "gimmick" feature especially when they are from a cryptographic nature without any peer review and based on nothing but claims - which could ultimately result in endangering our users.

Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:25:33 PM

wow such confusion and hostility...

ok the first quote was me asking jl777 if monero was to be included. (cause, like I said, I also support the monero camp)

the long response was from jl777 (the link has the original)

The responses just now from all yall, have my head confused. Is this what jl777 meant by mistreated??
Unless the "mistreatment" is coming from a Monero dev, it just sounds like whining to me. This is a public forum and anyone is free to make their opinion known. Just the fact that this guy expects everyone to swoon over his project leads me to stay as far from it as possible.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:26:13 PM

I hope you have hired some bodyguards - seriously bro stay safe...

I would not like to be the guy who wrongs / tries to harm me. I believe in personal responsibility.

There are plenty of public people with massive personal wealth - while there should be some care and attention, I don't believe that there's necessarily anything more to fear for high net worth individuals who have fortunes in crypto vs stock or cash or real estate, etc.

If anything, it merely means that they need to exercise strong digital security, as should we all.

Ultros

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:29:55 PM

I never attacked him or any other coin from what I remember. Still I'm a XMR supporter..how is that possible? Would that mean the "XMR group" is made of individuals with different agendas and behaviors?

Damn it seems so complicated. Let's punish an entire community based of the words of a few vocal individuals that might not even be invested in the currency to begin with.

Anyway...back to the topic. We're breaking our support at this very moment. Looks like a panic-sell.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:38:37 PM

narcissistic megalomania is in a bull trend.  personally, i am shorting it.

Sometimes one guy can innovate wonders. Satoshi was one such person, and I hold AnonyMint in high regard also. Now, Satoshi has not been well received in his time (or even now) by the general populace, and AnonyMint is one of the most hated members of this community. Perhaps James is making his way to this group, perhaps not. One wise pharisee once said: "Let him go. If this thing is from man, it will collapse on its own merit. But what if it is from God? Are you prepared to fight against God?"

Well his words were not heeded to, and 2000 years later Jesus has more followers than ever.

As for James, I don't have any evidence of him scamming people. (Not that I have searched though.) My advice would be likewise, to point out his past misdeeds if such are found, and flaws in technology and economics, in a respectful manner. It does not take long to notice if the initiative has merit or not, and Monero folks are each individually in a position to hedge their fortunes if they so wish.

These threads, believe it or not, are visited by influential people and their aides. The matter that most sets Monero apart from any other coin is its community, and therefore I beg that we could stay civil even in the face of such grave and existential threat as a lone C programmer.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:42:39 PM

@all
OK, Sorry I ruffled everyone's feathers..

Don't apologize. Interesting post, and pretty obvious to me that it was a quote, not your own statement.

Now, jl777's rant sounds half whiny, half entitled, but he also made a point I can sort of appreciate:

Monero supporters (or at least a vocal subset) have the unpleasant habit of not only talking up Monero, which is fine, but also talking down every single other alt.

It's more a stylistic issue than a moral one, in my opinion, but I dislike it. Makes us look petty, as a community.

That said, the "ultimatum" of the jl777 quote is ridiculous. By requiring a 'be nice to me' condition on coins and their community to be allowed to join his secret little club chain he made sure nobody in his right mind would want to join.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:48:18 PM

This is so pro, i'm between slightly negative and neutral for now, long term its Stellar and beyond because XMR is the best altcoin there is.

You realize for stellar to materialize XMR would need to overtake XBT? I know it's not impossible, but to call it a near certainty is a very big stretch.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:04:54 PM

This is so pro, i'm between slightly negative and neutral for now, long term its Stellar and beyond because XMR is the best altcoin there is.

You realize for stellar to materialize XMR would need to overtake XBT? I know it's not impossible, but to call it a near certainty is a very big stretch.

ahm, 0.05 does not require surpassing BTC, thats why I said long term, dont let the trolls undermine your beliefs, I know things look so good with XMR that ppl feel tempted to flirt with catastrophic scenarios out of pity for the other coins, but lately they are showing not deserving of being on XMR's spot. So I'll double down on their attacks not putting them down but pointing out that XMR economics and technology is indeed what it looks it is and the reason why they feel threatened: stuff from the best, most promising altcoin right now, and I'll not say sorry for thinking it is.

0.05 is not stellar by far ...
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:06:39 PM

narcissistic megalomania is in a bull trend.  personally, i am shorting it.
Sometimes one guy can innovate wonders.
You should really check out the list of wonders that James has innovated.  It's quite spectacular.
...I beg that we could stay civil even in the face of such grave and existential threat....
If I thought something was a threat to XMR, I wouldn't short it, of that I can assure you.  

I can get up a goodly amount of bile when I perceive a threat to the pocketbooks of the naive.  Yet I am not above seeking to benefit personally by shorting that threat, as I consider it an essential part of price discovery:  The sooner fair price is discovered, the less damage will be done.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:14:14 PM

Pretty big sell off happening right now!

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:23:20 PM

Any way we can change the best case scenario from "stellar" to "supernova" or something else that doesn't share its name with another cryptocurrency?  I keep doubling over and laughing in the middle of reading comments!
vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:23:59 PM

Pretty big sell off happening right now!

It's a weekend of accumulation.  I love it.
ThePatient

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:43:46 PM

Think we'll go below .004?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:50:00 PM

ahm, 0.05 does not require surpassing BTC, thats why I said long term, dont let the trolls undermine your beliefs, I know things look so good with XMR that ppl feel tempted to flirt with catastrophic scenarios out of pity for the other coins, but lately they are showing not deserving of being on XMR's spot. So I'll double down on their attacks not putting them down but pointing out that XMR economics and technology is indeed what it looks it is and the reason why they feel threatened: stuff from the best, most promising altcoin right now, and I'll not say sorry for thinking it is.

That prediction was for the next 30 days, guys Smiley

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:08:04 PM

I don't get why so many people are hopping on the Monero train. It is not even anonymous, just more anonymous than Bitcoin and arguably the best solution that exists right now, but that is subject to change. Zerocoin has shown it is possible to create a more anonymous Cryptocurrency than ring signature and coin join implementations, and it is just a matter of time before the first Zerocoin implementations are released into the wild. For instance, if Anoncoin successfully implements Zerocoin, then Monero is going to be somewhat pointless and a lot of people are going to lose a lot of money. It seems like a pretty risky play IMO.

Furthermore, I also don't like that it is mainly bot nets providing the majority of the processing power to support the Monero network. Why support these criminals? Do you think it was really any coincidence the CryptoNight PoW algorithm and Cryptonote were developed on the deep web?

I just don't get it...
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:17:01 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2014, 07:30:50 PM by aminorex

Zerocoin Zerocash has shown it is possible to create a more anonymous Cryptocurrency than ring signature and coin join implementations, and it is just a matter of time before the first Zerocoin Zerocash implementations are released into the wild.
Zerocoin Zerocash has shown that no one knows how to make a trustless currency with better anonymity characteristics than ring signatures allow:  Zerocoin Zerocash requires trusting the mint.  It has also shown that vaporware trades at a severe discount to a working cryptocurrency.  The market wants private liquidity, and isn't going to wait for Zerocoin Zerocash.  I doubt that the market will tolerate the trusted mint.

Furthermore, I also don't like that it is mainly bot nets providing the majority of the processing power to support the Monero network.
That is an unsubstantiated allegation.

the CryptoNight PoW algorithm and Cryptonote were developed on the deep web
That has been proven false.

EDIT: Corrected misuse of Zerocoin where I was talking about Zerocash.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:17:13 PM

I don't get why so many people are hopping on the Monero train. It is not even anonymous, just more anonymous than Bitcoin, and arguably the best solution that exists right now. Zerocoin has shown it is possible to create a more anonymous Cryptocurrency than ring signature and coin join implementations, and it is just a matter of time before the first Zerocoin implementations are released into the wild. For instance, if Anoncoin successfully implements Zerocoin, then Monero is going to be somewhat pointless and a lot of people are going to lose a lot of money. It seems like a pretty risky play IMO.

Furthermore, I also don't like that it is mainly bot nets providing the majority of the processing power to support the Monero network. Why support these criminals? Do you think it was really any coincidence the CryptoNight PoW algorithm and Cryptonote were developed on the deep web?

I just don't get it...

Huh? You've got a few things wrong

1) The majority of the hashrate is not botnets or that can't be confirmed

2) Zerocoin was abandoned by it's original dev team in favor of Zerocash(Please read up more on that before making comments, Zerocoin isn't going anywhere)

3) Zerocash has a large degree of initial trust(You trust that they developers/people given keys won't join together and doublespend all they want without you ever knowing via it's anonymous structure)

4) Zerocash, should it ever be released, would Only offer anoymous transactions(Yes, that's pretty much a bad thing, since even private companies need to keep a record of their transactions etc, Ring Signature(Monero) allows both anonymous sending and regular sending, while Zerocash doesn't which means it likely won't be used by any legitimate companies/institutions)

Basically, Zerocash from what I've read, will probably 1) Fail/never be released, 2) Fail because of it's trust issue and doublespending issue, 3) Fail because it may be "too anonymous", since they have no option to send coins regularly and that's a very limiting factor when trying to get used by companies, average individuals, agencies, you get the drift.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
othe

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:21:03 PM

It´s pretty obvious that you don´t get it. Some people prefer to use something that actually exists.

Ringsignatures provide good privacy without moonmath, read gmaxwells posts maybe (nullc): https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7765455
Or Andytoshis post on stackexchange: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/29471/is-there-any-true-anonymous-cryptocurrencies

Care to proof that mainly botnets mine Monero? Most hash seems to be from Claymores GPU miner.

If this, if that... who cares, if i win the lottery......

PS: Financial privacy is just one of the things XMR tries to accomplish.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: