Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:24:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New charges brought against alleged silk road operator ross ulbricht  (Read 1097 times)
taylortyler (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 05:28:48 PM

Three new charges were filed Thursday against 30-year-old Ross Ulbricht who is accused of operating the deep web online drug marketplace, Silk Road.

The charges filed in a Manhattan federal court include narcotics trafficking, distribution or narcotics by means of the internet, and conspiracy to traffic in fraudulent identification documents.

http://coinfinance.com/news/new-charges-brought-against-alleged-silk-road-operator-ross-ulbricht
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unpure

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 06:21:06 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2014, 05:43:39 PM by unpure

Quote from Roger Ver is good.

All the libertarians should line up for his defense.
FarSky7

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 12:37:18 AM

Quote from article:
Ulbricht’s legal team attempted to have his case dismissed in July on the grounds that bitcoins were not considered to be money by the IRS, but his bid was denied by US District Judge Katherine Forrest, saying that “Bitcoins carry value – that is their purpose and function – and act as a medium of exchange. Bitcoins may be exchanged for legal tender, be it US dollars, euros, or some other currency. Accordingly, [the defense’s] argument fails.”

Wow, so this is the governments official position.
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 12:50:29 AM

he was trying to off someone while sipping on small soy latte in starbucks somewhere.

Distance bitcoin from him, if you want crypto to ever succeed.
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 01:28:36 AM

I think the charges against Ross in this case are flimsy at best. Him running SR was very similar to how the management of eBay runs eBay. The same with Craigslist. All sites likely have illegal goods for sale. Granted Ross encouraged illegal goods to be sold on SR, but there are still very important similarities. There are much more very serious actions that he allegedly did (hired a hit-man to kill people that could potentially do damage to him) but this is a very separate issue.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:09:25 AM

Quote from article:
Ulbricht’s legal team attempted to have his case dismissed in July on the grounds that bitcoins were not considered to be money by the IRS, but his bid was denied by US District Judge Katherine Forrest, saying that “Bitcoins carry value – that is their purpose and function – and act as a medium of exchange. Bitcoins may be exchanged for legal tender, be it US dollars, euros, or some other currency. Accordingly, [the defense’s] argument fails.”

Well, it's Katherine Forrest's official position.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:13:42 AM

he was trying to off someone while sipping on small soy latte in starbucks somewhere.

If this is true, why haven't charges been filed against him for attempting to solicit murder?

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:21:49 PM

If this is true, why haven't charges been filed against him for attempting to solicit murder?
He has been. It is a separate case that will take place in MD where the guy who was the middle man for a large coke (I think it was coke) purchase that turned out to be a sting. I believe this trial is going to be after the SR related trial.

solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:25:40 PM

He has been. It is a separate case that will take place in MD where the guy who was the middle man for a large coke (I think it was coke) purchase that turned out to be a sting. I believe this trial is going to be after the SR related trial.

I think DPR is even more nefarious than Walter White.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2014, 01:56:45 AM

I think DPR is even more nefarious than Walter White.

Let us compare the body counts of the fictional characters "The Dread Pirate Roberts" (multiple successors) and Walter White (one man).

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 02:38:51 AM

Quote from article:

This is the government's position in this specific case. This is a true statement. The public does give bitcon value. Bitcoin can be exchanged for fiat money.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: