Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:39:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coindroids - On-chain strategy game with coin payouts  (Read 7251 times)
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1038
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2017, 09:48:23 PM

That looks like a nice game to me. I'm surprised, I have never heard of it.
Cryptokitties seemed to be the first of their kind.

Thanks! We’ve been working on the game a while but have never really done a big marketing push. Most people have been focused on hodling or ICOs, but maybe 2018 will be the year of blockchain based gaming.

How is development coming along? I just stumbled across this and have to agree with the other post, I'm surprised also. As for marketing, I can probably help out in that regard - if you would like. Is the project open source? Feel free to PM me with anything you might need a hand with. If the code is open source, depending on the language I can lend a hand there also.

Regards,

-MisterCoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 02:54:53 PM

Is there any problem with the site right now? It keeps on loading in the log in page and comic is the only page I could browse well. I think it is not a connection problem in my end because I can browse other sites without a problem (even youtube).

API, front-end, and payout processor are all back online now. Thanks for your patience!
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 03:02:50 PM

That looks like a nice game to me. I'm surprised, I have never heard of it.
Cryptokitties seemed to be the first of their kind.

Thanks! We’ve been working on the game a while but have never really done a big marketing push. Most people have been focused on hodling or ICOs, but maybe 2018 will be the year of blockchain based gaming.

How is development coming along? I just stumbled across this and have to agree with the other post, I'm surprised also. As for marketing, I can probably help out in that regard - if you would like. Is the project open source? Feel free to PM me with anything you might need a hand with. If the code is open source, depending on the language I can lend a hand there also.

Regards,

-MisterCoin

The game is a labour of love for all involved so development can be a bit slow at times, but overall the game has drastically evolved since we started compared to what we have now. Our API is still more full featured than our front-end, but we continue to expose new features as we decide how they should look and behave.

Some of the code is open, some portions are not. That may change in the future if we notice we have something that could help others, but the code is mostly pretty specific to our needs.

If you want to get involved a bit, send me a PM with your email. I’d love to chat more.
timisis

Activity: 178
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:50:34 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2017, 02:42:38 PM by timisis

https://ibb.co/nHLcC6 I registered for the defcoin version but coinomi reports some error when scanning the request, and I am surprised there is no text version under the QR code or something, any ideas?

I would really like to be a Coindroid professional gamer but sounds like we may be a decade away, doesn't it!
timisis

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 06:29:09 PM

Don't know what went wrong the first time with defcoin QR generation, but the second time the address came up with readable QR and text address, I made the payment and ... hours later I am at 2/6 confirmations and my bot is not activated. Is the message "Your droid will be activated on the next block" meant to apply after 6 confirmations?
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 09:38:48 PM

Don't know what went wrong the first time with defcoin QR generation, but the second time the address came up with readable QR and text address, I made the payment and ... hours later I am at 2/6 confirmations and my bot is not activated. Is the message "Your droid will be activated on the next block" meant to apply after 6 confirmations?

Hey, sorry about this, you caught us in the middle of some database maintenance. We'll be back online once it is done and I'll send you a direct message to let you know Smiley

When we're not in maintenance mode, actions only require one confirmation.
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 08:44:13 PM

The maintenance is complete and all the processors are back online. Your droid should be activated and ready for battle now. I will warn you that the Defcoin network is very slow these days, I imagine somebody piled on some processing power and then took it down. This makes play in the DFC realm slower and less fun unfortunately (at least, until the network readjusts). If you want to try out the Litecoin realm, send me a direct message with a Litecoin address and I'll send some over so you can get started there.

akash15785

Activity: 94

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 06:43:36 AM

Just signed up the game. Pretty clean graphics, easy to play. Good game. Thanks.
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 06:54:33 AM

Just signed up the game. Pretty clean graphics, easy to play. Good game. Thanks.

Aw thanks! ❤️
Let me know if you have any questions
timisis

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:05:17 PM

Funnily enough, I've been googling all day to find out where "LTC bits" are defined, haven't found any canonical place! Presumably it is the uLTC in the client, but best to rephrase the payment page. I always had the impression QR codes could encode the amount too, which seems true now that I installed Coinomi! IIRC the Defcoin QR code only encoded the address. Is there a more proper mobile wallet than Coinomi?
timisis

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 06:16:24 PM

Is it OK to use this thread as "support"?

By clicking "Battlefield" I was expecting to see either all the enemies or territories where I could move to find enemies. Instead "Most targeted" and "Worst Enemy" only shows myself. I can find enemies in the leaderboard, is this a design choice perhaps, so that , for example, noone will attack me as I am sitting on 0 bounty, but people will attack the juicy leaders? The number 1 appears to have a multi-month break in activity, with one attack against it today, is this a bug or simply the players where few and did not attempt an attack?
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 02:32:58 AM

Is it OK to use this thread as "support"?

Absolutely! Sorry for the delay, I'll get to this is a day or two. Just a bit crazy over the holidays Smiley
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 04:59:38 PM

Funnily enough, I've been googling all day to find out where "LTC bits" are defined, haven't found any canonical place! Presumably it is the uLTC in the client, but best to rephrase the payment page. I always had the impression QR codes could encode the amount too, which seems true now that I installed Coinomi! IIRC the Defcoin QR code only encoded the address. Is there a more proper mobile wallet than Coinomi?

We do encode the amounts into the QR code. I'm a bit surprised that Coinomi isn't reading that data. I'll take a look into this and pass along a feature request to Coinomi if this is the case. In the mean time, you can try LoafWallet and see if you like that experience more (https://loafwallet.org).

As for the name LTC Bits, I'm sorry for the confusion. Since we moved over to that format, there has been some discussion on the proper name of this format in the Litecoin community but it doesn't seem well documented or standardized in either direction, so we've just kept what we have. For the record, a bit is 0.000001 (as oppose to a satoshi which is 0.00000001). This is good feedback though, I'll be sure this is mentioned somewhere in the docs at the very least.

By clicking "Battlefield" I was expecting to see either all the enemies or territories where I could move to find enemies. Instead "Most targeted" and "Worst Enemy" only shows myself. I can find enemies in the leaderboard, is this a design choice perhaps, so that , for example, noone will attack me as I am sitting on 0 bounty, but people will attack the juicy leaders? The number 1 appears to have a multi-month break in activity, with one attack against it today, is this a bug or simply the players where few and did not attempt an attack?

Battlefield is a work in progress still. We haven't quite figured out the best layout for that page, so it's a bit awful/useless. Right now, the best way to find enemies is through the leaderboard/main page, or if you are a bit more on the technical side, you can use the API.

When you start the game, you'll start with zero bounty over your head and no real reason for anybody to be attacking you. As other players are attacked, some of those funds go into your bounty, making your droid more interesting to attack over time. This gives you some time to get comfortable in the game and make some initial attacks without some old grumpy droid destroying you.

The game does require a bit of a network effect in a sense that the more people playing, the more fun it is. We aren't quite where we'd like to be as far as active players yet, but we have some ideas to hopefully build that player base early this year. As such, my offer of free LTC also stands for anybody who wants to play.
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 04:22:20 PM

Boneface wants to give you her heart
Will you be her Valentine?
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 04:47:47 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2018, 05:25:11 PM by Abstrct

How Coindroids Deals with Forks - Volume 1
(Adapted from the original post here)

Many people have heard of forks as they related to cryptocurrencies, and understand that they represent what happens when two different portions of the same community both love their users very much but can longer stay together. The divorce leads to double the gifts during special occasions, and the two newly independent communities can live their separate lives.

What many people are not aware of is that small forks are actually happening constantly as part of a healthy distributed network.

Consider the following instance. Two perfectly valid blocks are mined around the same time, likely containing a very similar set of transactions, and are distributed around the network. Miners pick the first one they see and start to mine the next block on top of it. At the same times, Coindroids would see one of these blocks and start to process it as well.

Once the next block is found and distributed around the network, there is now an orphaned block that is no longer valid. If Coindroids learned of, and processed, the block that is no longer part of the chain with the most proof of work, we are now on the incorrect side of the micro-fork that took place. We learn this as soon as we receive a new block and check that the previous block is already one we have processed.

For a lot of systems, this is not a problem. As mentioned above, it is usually very likely that all the transactions that would have been in Block A will also be in Block B, maybe with some slight differences based on miner preferences to fees and friends.

With a centralized game built on top of a blockchain, this makes for some very fun problems to solve. We just processed the entire blocks worth of relevant transactions, all those attacks, item purchases, drop registrations, etc, and now our processor has learned that they were all invalid.

Note: In the Ethereum ecosystem, as long as all your code resides on chain, this is not a problem. Your code and state are part of the logical flow of the Ethereum system. If any part of your system syncs with a centralized database though, it can be equally as susceptible.

Blockchains may be specifically designed for immutability, but we had to write the Coindroids system with undo as a key process within.

Our First Solution

The first solution we experimented with was a reversible audit systems. Every time an action takes place, we keep track of how much of something was changed, and in what direction.

1. Droid A attacks Droid B
2. Droid A gains 5 experience, with a new total of 15 experience
3. Droid B loses 10 health, with a new total of 90 health

So, if we wanted to roll back, we would work backwards...

1. Droid B gains 10 health, for a restored total of 100 health
2. Droid A loses 5 experience, for a restored total of 10 experience
3. Droid A attack of Droid B is voided

This is pretty simple here, but with many attribute changes and actions taking place all 'at once' when a block is processed, this actually quickly becomes error-prone and time consuming. The audit system is still important overall to Coindroids, but it's use here in the fork processing system was quickly phased out.

Solution Two, Snapshots

Reading an audit long in reverse ended up as a bit of a dud, at least within our implementation. As both error-prone and slow, the true cause was easily defined as one theme: unnecessary complexities.

So how did we simplify? All the data we need is pretty small, so we just create a copy of it and tie it to the processed block.

Now our example looks like this:

1. Droid A attacks Droid B
2. Droid A gains 5 experience, with a new total of 15 experience
3. Droid B loses 10 health, with a new total of 90 health

So, if we wanted to roll back, we would:

1. Lookup the highest height in our system that relates to the new tip
2. Copy the old state of droid & inventory back into place based on this last good block

New Pros
As it turns out, this strategy gives us the backbone for eventually exposing a feature that allows users to view the full history of a droid over it's lifetime. Watching it evolve, or get it's ass handed to it, block by block.

New Cons
This strategy will no-doubt start to create a really big table over time, especially as the number of users grow. Designing this table properly early on in your development will be something you look back on fondly.

At least, we think you will look back fondly on your grand design. We certainly didn't do this properly, so we get to deal with upgrading a giant F*&$-off table into a better system now. We'll write up a much more technical post in the future about how we are now using PostgreSQL's new built-in PARTITION feature.  

What if Coindroids already sent out coin?

The other very fun, and potentially devastating part about forks. Yes it's possible that we sent out a completely valid transaction, maybe to reward a player for a kill, or to reimburse overpayment on an item. Now that we've re-processed up the new real chain we wish we hadn't. But wishing doesn't get you too far when it comes to immutable ledgers.

Want to know how we solved this problem? Check back next time for another volume of Fork'n Around.  
Indra123

Activity: 110

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 12:48:14 PM

Ugh I was getting all signed up but I can't use Litecoins..  I don't think they have a mobile wallet which is exclusively what I use for bitcoins. Is that right though? I can't find anything on android that seems secure enough.
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 04:43:50 PM

Ugh I was getting all signed up but I can't use Litecoins..  I don't think they have a mobile wallet which is exclusively what I use for bitcoins. Is that right though? I can't find anything on android that seems secure enough.

Best Litecoin wallet on Android has been Coinomi so far, but LoafWallet was also just released for android which might be worth a try. Neither support external devices for added security but they should be fine for some small amounts. Let me know via private message if you need some LTC to get started in the game Smiley 
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 11:41:09 PM

It's been a while since I played and it seems that there's not much update here as well. Are there still active players? Because whenever I visit the site, all of the droids' healths are full. It's really enjoyable when there are many players.
Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 10:00:53 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2018, 10:21:53 PM by Abstrct

It's been a while since I played and it seems that there's not much update here as well. Are there still active players? Because whenever I visit the site, all of the droids' healths are full. It's really enjoyable when there are many players.

There are still active players, but they do come in waves. We are working on a couple different initiatives to get some battles going such as some new boss battles to uncover, and other temporary PvP modes for special events.

Of course, DEFCON 26 is coming up too, and that always brings in a lot of players new and old.

We've got big announcements coming out soon but, in short, there is lots in the works to entertain and challenge our community Wink

Thanks for the continued support and interest!

Abstrct (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2018, 03:20:05 PM

Only a year ago our hero West needed your help to infiltrate the Imperial One city and remove CountZero from power. Everyone who tried to do their part did an incredible job of failing and the Counts' reign has continued.

Thanks to the Imperial One intrusion detection systems, the vulnerabilities that West provided have been patched up, which means you'll have to start from scratch and somehow still fail less this time. Those of us who were programmed to have faith, will absolutely use that to incorrectly believe in you.

To celebrate our 5th year anniversary of cryptocurrency battles and puzzles, the Droid that is able to finally take down CountZero will walk away with our most unique prize ever! We've been secretly creating a Coindroids card game, with all the fun and backstabbing that Coindroids is known for, and the first person to solve our adventure is taking home their own copy of the original prototype.

Your Adventure Awaits at DC26

Your #HackerFam won't help you this time around, this is a solo mission now. Find your way into the city and take down CountZero once and for all.

DEFCON 26 takes place August 9-12 in Las Vegas, NV.

Coindroids: The Card Game

If you're as excited about the card game as we are, stay tuned to our blog and social feeds to follow the development. We'll certainly have more to say on that in the near future.

The card game has already evolved since this iteration and we'll never print the original prototype again, meaning the winner will have a piece of Coindroids history, owning 1 of the 3 copies made.

(Original Post: https://blog.coindroids.com/infiltrating-imperial-one-dc26/)
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: