Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:32:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Prevention of post editing by thread starter  (Read 10186 times)
mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 05:42:15 PM

I haven't noticed any thread suggesting this feature, so I decided to create a topic about it. The concept is pretty simple: just like you choose if you want your thread to be self-moderated, you could choose if you allow users to make edits to their posts. This would be useful in threads that require you to post to apply to something such as a signature advertising campaign, a contest that requires you to guess something, etc.

Even though you can look at the post to see if it's edited, it's usually quite overwhelming to check every post when processing pages of information manually.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 09:42:05 PM

Great suggestion. I bet there are many cases in which this would help! For example, signature campaigns.

Forever strong.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 09:48:31 PM

This is a great suggestion, but having a function to lock the OP would be great as well. That way people know the information isn't edited, which is useful in, for example, a sale or a verification topic.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 09:52:04 PM

Ahhh! Noooooo!

Lol, I edit about 99% of my posts.  Virtually all of these edits are typographical, but I also do it intentionally so that I never get called out for an edited post. 

Edit:  See?
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 10:13:52 PM

Ahhh! Noooooo!

Lol, I edit about 99% of my posts.  Virtually all of these edits are typographical, but I also do it intentionally so that I never get called out for an edited post. 

This would only apply on explicitly edit-locked threads, though. Not all of them.

Forever strong.
taesup

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 11:29:16 PM

The new forum will have versioning for all posts. This means that every change to a post is kept in the database and all users will be able to see all versions of a post. This makes the point of this thread rather moot since it will be on by default for all posts.

I am a Epochtalk (New Forum Software) Developer.
mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 10:03:55 AM

Great suggestion. I bet there are many cases in which this would help! For example, signature campaigns.
Already mentioned the example, but yeah.

This is a great suggestion, but having a function to lock the OP would be great as well. That way people know the information isn't edited, which is useful in, for example, a sale or a verification topic.
That would be a useful feature as well.

Ahhh! Noooooo!

Lol, I edit about 99% of my posts.  Virtually all of these edits are typographical, but I also do it intentionally so that I never get called out for an edited post. 

This would only apply on explicitly edit-locked threads, though. Not all of them.
It should also have a warning just like self-moderated threads have that you can't edit your posts here.

The new forum will have versioning for all posts. This means that every change to a post is kept in the database and all users will be able to see all versions of a post. This makes the point of this thread rather moot since it will be on by default for all posts.
But still, if it's a signature campaign application post, you have to for each individual post select the earliest version while with this feature you can just prevent edits and be sure you're reading the original post at first glance.

taesup

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:30:25 AM

I'm still hesitant mainly because even in signature campaigns, the OP is quite often edited with new information. Also, there are circumstances (although rare) where a later post might need to be edited. In the event that the first version of a post needs priority above any edits, we can file an issue for a specific view of a thread where the posts shown are the original post and you'll have to click to expand for any newer versions. (the reserve of what will be the default layout)

I think a concrete example would help more in this area.

So just thinking off the top of my head, I feel like signature campaigns should be allowed to have users edit their post, but the user may only post once in that thread. Also, when the campaign is over, the OP can lock the thread at that point, keeping others from posting in it. I think that solves the majority of issues with signature campaigns. If we want to take it a step further, we could also allow OP to tag a certain version of a post and that version will become the 'default' post.

Contest may have a different structure where posts aren't ordered by time as like most forums but may be sorted by OP's desire. (Maybe winning posts show up right under OP, I'm really just freebasing at this point so don't take any of this as truth.)

Group Buys might follow the same structure as signature campaigns but OP could tag posts where the orders have been accepted (versions be damned). Maybe those tagged posts could get hoisted to the start of the thread.

The great thing with what we're building is that we have the ability to really go wild with the features since we're building from the ground up and have complete control of the stack. But in order to build something that the COMMUNITY needs, we need concrete examples. I don't mean to preach but solid examples is always better than notional ideas because we can point to some use case when we actually try to build the damn thing. Again, sorry for the rant.

I am a Epochtalk (New Forum Software) Developer.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 12:14:00 PM

@taesup : You are right! It will be better if an option to submit ticket with the details : words needed to include, reason for editing etc... are there. So, Mods can verify it and edit the posts.
This feature isn't needed in every threads. I think it is only needed in 'Marketplace' board.

~~MZ~~

e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 09:34:32 PM

Even though you can look at the post to see if it's edited, it's usually quite overwhelming to check every post when processing pages of information manually.
How do you check if a post has been edited?
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:39:18 PM

It is simple , move the mouse over the "publication date" :

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 04:40:39 AM

It is simple , move the mouse over the "publication date" :

The dots you see will come if the thread is edited. Anybody know how much time does the editing and posting be apart for showing the dotted line? I have made changes within a few minutes but it didn't appear. So edits after x hours or edits after 1 day make the dotted line show?

P.S. Sorry for bad english. Don't know how to ask this question correctly. Sad

~~MZ~~

Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Merit: 2948

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 06:07:35 PM

There is a grace period of around 5 minutes I believe. If you edit your post in this interval it won't appear as edited(so no dotted line).

u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 07:05:29 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2015, 07:15:48 AM by u9y42

The dots you see will come if the thread is edited. Anybody know how much time does the editing and posting be apart for showing the dotted line? I have made changes within a few minutes but it didn't appear. So edits after x hours or edits after 1 day make the dotted line show?

P.S. Sorry for bad english. Don't know how to ask this question correctly. Sad

~~MZ~~

There is a grace period of around 5 minutes I believe. If you edit your post in this interval it won't appear as edited(so no dotted line).

This is probably coming a bit late, but if neither of you have further looked into it this, this last month, here it is: the grace period is probably closer to 10 minutes - I frequently edit my own posts, and I'm often not that quick in doing so. Smiley At any rate, I'm pretty sure the dotted line doesn't appear before then, though the limit may be longer than the 10 minutes.

EDIT: after 5 minutes...

EDIT: after 9 minutes...

EDIT: after 10 minutes...
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 02:59:38 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2015, 03:10:29 PM by Muhammed Zakir

This is probably coming a bit late, but if neither of you have further looked into it this, this last month, here it is: the grace period is probably closer to 10 minutes - I frequently edit my own posts, and I'm often not that quick in doing so. Smiley At any rate, I'm pretty sure the dotted line doesn't appear before then, though the limit may be longer than the 10 minutes.

EDIT: after 5 minutes...

EDIT: after 9 minutes...

EDIT: after 10 minutes...

If you edit same post, then we(alteast non-staff) won't know whether a dotted line appear when you edit after 5 minutes. Let me try with this post.

Edit : Verified the grace period isn't 5 minutes.

Edit : Verified the grace period is around 10 minutes.

-MZ

u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 11:38:53 AM

If you edit same post, then we(alteast non-staff) won't know whether a dotted line appear when you edit after 5 minutes. Let me try with this post.

Edit : Verified the grace period isn't 5 minutes.

Edit : Verified the grace period is around 10 minutes.

-MZ

Thanks for the vote of (no)confidence, Muhammed Zakir. Cheesy
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:33:14 AM

or atleast everyone allow to see the changes made in a edited post
right now only we can see when the post was edited but can't find what changes were made
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:39:38 AM

right now only we can see when the post was edited but can't find what changes were made

Why do you want to see the changes that were made? I don't think it is an interesting thing , maybe them were a calligraphic  errors  or something like that. I don't think it is necessary.
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 10:48:40 AM

Why do you want to see the changes that were made? I don't think it is an interesting thing , maybe them were a calligraphic  errors  or something like that. I don't think it is necessary.

It should be shown for mods in Marketplace or atleast Lending. Many big editings to scam are done there.

-MZ

redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:57:49 AM

It should be shown for mods in Marketplace or atleast Lending. Many big editings to scam are done there.

-MZ

The point is that the staff members don't moderate the scam situations, so (I think) this function will not be useful. However at the end they have the right to do whatever they want.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: