Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:20:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum for Android  (Read 25452 times)
Jamie90

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 07:17:49 PM

How do I sync the Electrum that is installed on my Windows PC with the one installed on my Android?

Also, how do I change my wallet on my Android?

Thanks in advance for any help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shsmith

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 04:35:55 AM

Electrum is now in Google Play as a regular APK.
Much easier to install and use than before.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.electrum.electrum
DuddlyDoRight

Activity: 318
Merit: 257

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 06:39:34 AM

I actually hear TEE is opening up for Android. This means wallets can run vitals isolated. There has been isolated keystore services a while too. They both use hardware TEE like ARM Trustzone. This is pretty hard to hack. Famous iphone hackers can't touch the kernel protection that uses it.

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
sacko

Activity: 174
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 06:09:16 PM

Where can I get the new apk without google play?  (safe source?)
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 08:01:14 PM

I actually hear TEE is opening up for Android. This means wallets can run vitals isolated. There has been isolated keystore services a while too. They both use hardware TEE like ARM Trustzone. This is pretty hard to hack. Famous iphone hackers can't touch the kernel protection that uses it.

Ledger Trustlets still only run on selected Samsung phones though.

DuddlyDoRight

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 09:22:09 PM

Ledger Trustlets still only run on selected Samsung phones though.

Anything that's not vulnerable to published SMS and signing vulnerabilities have both the keystore, which is in the SDK for any app to use going back to older API versions, and the licensed TEE execution. Google is suppose to implement a non-licensed TEE service very soon and it'll only require updating the ROM on an older device.

This means anything you shouldn't be supporting you won't need to support. You could also just use keystore API which is hardware backed on pretty much everything with Android 4.1+ on it from the factory.

Hardware isolation even if just for keys is well worth the investment though, and will only take about 200 more lines of code.

I may make a fork to experiment with it. I believe Electrum uses Python and some framework for it's app.

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
shsmith

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 06:24:25 AM

Where can I get the new apk without google play?  (safe source?)
There is still a 2.6 beta APK here: http://download.electrum.org/beta/
shsmith

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 05:50:33 PM

Thanks, is it identical to the final apk?
I think the google play version has been updated twice this beta.
I used that beta and it worked fine for me.

The author (ThomasV) stopped posting betas once it went live on google play.
He would likely be open to posting the latest APK on the electrum.org/#download page if you ask him directly.
japerry

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2016, 07:33:11 PM

Any chance that it might someday support hardware wallets (Ledger in particular)? Then it would be a perfect companion for the desktop version.

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 02:25:50 PM

Trying multisig. So I created electrum multisig-wallets on desktop. I can use desktop electrum to initiate sending and use the android electrum to cosign it, just fine. But I  does not seem to work when initiate sending with android, then desktop to cosign. Ideally I have two android phones, I want them to cosign one another tx.

When android multisig wallet electrum sends coin, it says "Partially signed" with a QR code. I scanned that QR with another android electrum on the send tab. It says "wrong UPE" or something. I also scanned that with my desktop electrum (using load transaction..) It says "unable to parse".

Also android electrum only supports 6 digits password which can be brute forced within a blink, any plans to support characters.. ?
DuddlyDoRight

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2016, 08:08:43 PM

Trying multisig. So I created electrum multisig-wallets on desktop. I can use desktop electrum to initiate sending and use the android electrum to cosign it, just fine. But I  does not seem to work when initiate sending with android, then desktop to cosign. Ideally I have two android phones, I want them to cosign one another tx.

When android multisig wallet electrum sends coin, it says "Partially signed" with a QR code. I scanned that QR with another android electrum on the send tab. It says "wrong UPE" or something. I also scanned that with my desktop electrum (using load transaction..) It says "unable to parse".

Also android electrum only supports 6 digits password which can be brute forced within a blink, any plans to support characters.. ?

Not when there is a lockout policy. Big passwords typically lead to data-loss and bad practices for people who don't use a hardware key which has a bigger attack surface than short keys stored in their brain. The encrypted data protection itself has nothing to do with a password since no hardware isolation or policy isolation is used.

If I get free time I'll make a GIT fork and implement the Android keystore which uses hardware isolation on most devices. You can also put the encrypted data in a sandbox that is safe everywhere but jailbroken devices.

ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1343

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2016, 08:26:58 PM

wrong UPE: the scanner recognized it as a barcode, not a qr code. retry, holding your camera well aligned.
"unable to parse": maybe the desktop version is to old?

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2016, 08:28:30 PM

If I get free time I'll make a GIT fork and implement the Android keystore which uses hardware isolation on most devices. You can also put the encrypted data in a sandbox that is safe everywhere but jailbroken devices.
that would be awesome

romerun
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 12:42:00 AM

I think one of the problem is, in android version, the QR gives "non hex" format of raw transaction ( something like this AFEA*0JN*-P9O1OY+:GV+.GKECS2R$KZW9$6MU6KPMMJLRI74SCEVS$K$NEASLB0.R.U3KEGJ+1UHYGF-Y-:PEY:ES-0D-$P0TUX1F4D6S5P..... ), while in desktop version the qr data is in hex format.

I'm on 2.6.1 both desktop and android.
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2016, 06:09:34 AM

I think one of the problem is, in android version, the QR gives "non hex" format of raw transaction ( something like this AFEA*0JN*-P9O1OY+:GV+.GKECS2R$KZW9$6MU6KPMMJLRI74SCEVS$K$NEASLB0.R.U3KEGJ+1UHYGF-Y-:PEY:ES-0D-$P0TUX1F4D6S5P..... ), while in desktop version the qr data is in hex format.

I'm on 2.6.1 both desktop and android.

this "non hex" format is called base43
it should be what both the desktop version and the android version use.

itogo

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 06:35:22 PM

How to delete a wallet?

I have tried to delete App,, then installed again. The wallet is already available.

More. I want more settings in mobile version.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2016, 10:54:58 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2016, 10:01:11 AM by TheButterZone

Nice, it's backwards compatible to pre-xpub MPK format.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2016, 10:48:49 AM

Not when there is a lockout policy. Big passwords typically lead to data-loss and bad practices for people who don't use a hardware key which has a bigger attack surface than short keys stored in their brain. The encrypted data protection itself has nothing to do with a password since no hardware isolation or policy isolation is used.

Note: I pushed an new apk today, that stores wallet and config data to the device internal data storage.

ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 09:05:21 AM

How to delete a wallet?
I have tried to delete App,, then installed again. The wallet is already available.

First upgrade the app to the lastest version, then uninstall it.
That will delete your wallet.
Do not forget to keep a paper backup of your seed phrase.

romerun
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 01:22:37 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2016, 01:40:17 PM by romerun

Oh no, after using the android  wallet for a while it cannot send anymore with this error "unpack requires a string argument of length 4". I guess some inputs might have broken the functionality.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: