Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:05:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you want your BitCoins to buy?  (Read 1999 times)
Variable (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:15:36 AM

I am starting an online storefront that accepts only bitcoins for payment.  I have been able to work out most of the hard part on the backend, but now I want to know what it really is that people are looking for online.  No idea if I just need to go for general goods and computer parts or if there are any specific elements.

Please share your thoughts and let me know what is needed.  I'll find some way of returning the favor like hooking you up with a coupon or something.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
5850Guy

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:18:57 AM

I am starting an online storefront that accepts only bitcoins for payment.  I have been able to work out most of the hard part on the backend, but now I want to know what it really is that people are looking for online.  No idea if I just need to go for general goods and computer parts or if there are any specific elements.

Please share your thoughts and let me know what is needed.  I'll find some way of returning the favor like hooking you up with a coupon or something.

Steam gift codes are good.  No need to ship and you can electronically transfer the goods.
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:39:02 AM

I have maple syrup and maple goodies for sale, with the right site this could be expanded. Maybe a partnership?

Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 06:00:43 AM

Any kind of digital goods: gift codes, game demo's, cd keys etc.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 08:30:00 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2012, 10:35:37 PM by Stephen Gornick

Sure wish someone would sell the mobile phone prepaid card / "top up" codes online.  Starting out small, one could list them for sale and then as they are sold head to the gas station or wherever and buy the denominations that were sold.  Scratch off and deliver the code online (securely) to the buyer.  
[Update: Done.  http://btcbuy.info/CallingCards.cshtml  and BitInstant will be offering airtime in Brazil, Russia, and elsewhere. ]

If there is sufficient demand, then these are available wholesale at about a 4% to 8% discount (e.g., a $30 cost $27.60) but there are volume requirements to get them wholesale.

These could probably be sold 10% over par even (e.g., sell a $30 code for $33 worth of bitcoin).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 08:36:04 AM

While this is hardly suitable for your site, I ultimately want my bitcoins to buy what I currently spend most of my pounds sterling on: groceries, utility bills and council tax. In fact my biggest problem with bitcoin as things are at the moment is that there isn't a single thing out there I want to spend them on.

But setting this kind of thing up is a much longer term goal of the bitcoin community.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
Icegod

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 11:57:01 AM

Snap up some bargains on bitcoin auction sites.
hashalfahalve

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

Support the bitcoin economy, use BTC merchants

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 03:00:53 PM

Probably buying a domain or gift card [if possible]

I know this place http://bit.ly/bitcoindomains offers domains with bitcoin via bitpay.  Cool
Nicotinefreek

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 01:30:02 AM

Any kind of digital goods: gift codes, game demo's, cd keys etc.

Same here. I also buy virtual items for various games I play. And bitcoins makes it possible to make micro-payments which is a huge bonus when It comes to buying virtual game items/gold/etc.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:37:52 AM

Here is what I would suggest.  Look through the Bitcoin economy, and try to find things that are undervalued, poorly-marketed, or which can be combined with other things (maple syrup and pancake mix) to add value.  Create a kind of Bitcoin "general store".  Negotiate bulk purchases with producers.  Add some marketing.  Create gift baskets.  Target Bitcoin consumers.  Attempt to build economies of scale and scope within the Bitcoin economy, and don't just focus on re-selling things produced elsewhere.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Variable (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 09:26:55 PM

I appreciate the input I am getting from this group.  Thanks guys.
btccomm

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 10:12:14 PM

i think things are wide open right now.  Think mass market, widest audience stuff
Kranke

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 09:04:36 PM

Books  ISP  Coffee  more GPU's
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2012, 09:08:25 PM

Ammo.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 09:15:03 PM

Ammo.

Apparently that's a need already served:
 - http://gawker.com/5879924/now-you-can-buy-guns-on-the-online-underground-marketplace

Also:
 - http://bitcoingunparts.com
 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61989.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Variable (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 10:40:53 PM

Its not legal to sell ammo online in the US is it?
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2012, 11:50:52 PM

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ is one site that does, but not for bitcoins AFAIK.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
efiniti

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 12:47:20 AM

gift cards are the best idea.  anything to avoid converting to cash which is painful enough as it is.  i have libertyreserve and gg I just want to pay 4% and have f*cking cash, not deal with these wonky exchanges.
Xmufa23X

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 01:05:50 AM

It is legal, but it cannot be shipping via Air. It's has to be ground only. I have bought from a few places, but http://www.sgammo.com/ seems to be the best. I bought 25 pounds of ammo, and it only cost $15 for the shipping. Not bad at all. Would be nice if they accepted Bitcoins in the future. SGAmmo and Bitcoins would be a dream come true!
blrrgh

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 04:41:20 AM

I believe a good start would be a store that deals in good that members of the community either produce themselves, trade themselves, or have a common interest in.  I for example make artisan tools like tomahawks and knives in a wood forge.  I have sold these for between $100.00 to $600.00.  A Bitcoin "etsy" would be great place to start, and it would be a great way to allow micro transactions to spread those BTC's around.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: