Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:49:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using OpenDNS Instead of ISP  (Read 1819 times)
pickaxepete (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:09:26 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2015, 10:31:37 AM by pickaxepete

Edited.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MajidBC

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

KryptKoin is one of the best!!!

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:30:21 AM

I didn't know that internet connection makes difference in mining. Have you compared your results with the other kind of connection?
MajidBC

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:22:06 PM

I didn't know that internet connection makes difference in mining. Have you compared your results with the other kind of connection?
The idea of higher communication time does lend to the loss of accepted shares in that if someone else solves before you then your share will be rejected - essentially, it's a first-come, first-served practice.
I am looking at it as reducing any bottlenecks, which I have (limited) control over, and got out of a pool which had a 200ms ping and into one of only 50ms. The longer it takes to get the information, the longer it takes to submit shares. Just like a delay for one race car in a 1/4 mile race, all things being equal (car, setup, skill), the one off the line first will win.
No, I haven't compared, directly, or tested. I'm not sure how I could test this myself.
So, you made it 4 times faster. That's a big deal. Isn't it more expensive?
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 04:36:30 PM

The idea of higher communication time does lend to the loss of accepted shares in that if someone else solves before you then your share will be rejected - essentially, it's a first-come, first-served practice.
I am looking at it as reducing any bottlenecks, which I have (limited) control over, and got out of a pool which had a 200ms ping and into one of only 50ms. The longer it takes to get the information, the longer it takes to submit shares. Just like a delay for one race car in a 1/4 mile race, all things being equal (car, setup, skill), the one off the line first will win.
No, I haven't compared, directly, or tested. I'm not sure how I could test this myself.
opendns is free.  That being written, you might want to benchmark your ISP's DNS server against using opendns.  Grab namebench and run it to see what it gives you back.  When my ISP's DNS servers crapped out, I changed to opendns, only to change back because of the latency introduced by opendns.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
MajidBC

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 06:34:52 PM

opendns is free.  That being written, you might want to benchmark your ISP's DNS server against using opendns.  Grab namebench and run it to see what it gives you back.  When my ISP's DNS servers crapped out, I changed to opendns, only to change back because of the latency introduced by opendns.
I'm assuming that your job is related to networking. Thanks for the info.
Icon

Activity: 821
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:40:11 AM

DNS servers do not have anything to do with latency, there only job is to take your web request ie: www.google.com to an ip and make the connection, once done they are done. Now having a good dns server with a faster response time is key when opening web pages and waiting for web pages to load. As far as mining the dns would only have less then a second of interaction find your -o ip address to real ip and making the connection (basically dns is the guy who hooks you up with a blind date), once you two meet he is out of there.

Icon

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 01:21:48 AM
Last edit: August 18, 2014, 03:24:24 AM by jonnybravo0311

DNS servers do not have anything to do with latency, there only job is to take your web request ie: www.google.com to an ip and make the connection, once done they are done. Now having a good dns server with a faster response time is key when opening web pages and waiting for web pages to load. As far as mining the dns would only have less then a second of interaction find your -o ip address to real ip and making the connection (basically dns is the guy who hooks you up with a blind date), once you two meet he is out of there.

Icon
Yes response time of the DNS server itself is crucial but if it takes you 200ms to get to the DNS server instead of 10ms that is an extra 380ms of time wasted.  That's latency.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Icon

Activity: 821
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:41:39 AM

Correct, but as i stated earlier once that connection is made there is virtual no more latency other then the time it takes the data to travel from point A to B, the dns part is over. So changing DNS servers just to save a one time use.. well if it makes you happy Smiley

Also this might help finding the fastest and reliable dns server..

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 12:32:16 PM

Thanks for the information, that's very helpful. DNS aside, latency in the communitcation between the miner and the pool(s) will have an affect on the number of accepted shares, correct? Although it may only be negligible at times when the difference in latency is only slight, it could lead to almost completely wasted time and energy if the difference between two pools is significant - e.g. two pools: one at 50ms, one at 250ms. EDIT: to clarify, it would be a waste to mine at a pool with a 250ms ping, compared to the one with the 50ms ping.
Yes, latency is an important factor; however, it is not the only one.  Using your example, I'd mine at a pool with 250ms latency and 0% fee vs the 50ms one with a 5% fee.

sab4you

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:31:40 AM

As mentioned above DNS is only for looking up resolution from a hostname to IP.  Once its been looked up by the operating system, the OS will then cache it for a period of time as well. 

For example on your windows PC if you connect to www.google.com it will obtain the IP from your DNS which will take a certain ms.  But it then keeps that information for the next 24-48 hours (example time frame)

Unless you had a horrid ISP you'd likely be better off looking to tweak your OS to keep the DNS cache longer
specialed101

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 11:46:40 AM

Hi,

Use Google's DNS servers. They are free, and have never let me down.

"Can I be the sockpuppet General of the Underpants Gnomes?" ~ specialed101
soronto

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:20:42 PM

Hi,

And they are helpful to track your Internet activity....
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:34:31 AM

Hi,

And they are helpful to track your Internet activity....

They are a viable solution.  Their 8.8.8.8 is hard to forget.  Ive had good luck with them.  And they will be board to tears if they are looking at my mining traffic.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: