Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:55:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: About outdoor housing  (Read 2969 times)
guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 05:29:27 AM

I ran a number of 5830s out of the garage over the summer and asides from a thick layer of pollen and a few mangled bugs everything was fine. If I were to do it again though I'd duct the rigs with cardboard and use some box fans w/ chopped up furnace/AC air filters to filter the air a bit. Will have to find a similar solution for this upcoming summer as the rigs migrate outside the house again.

No offense, but there are good reasons to not do 24/7 unattended electrical operations with flammable materials.

While I've been known (in my much younger past) to run a machine in a static wrap bag (to decrease cat hairs) in a cardboard tray, I would not attempt to run my mining gear this way. I thought it was dangerous to make that PC work that way - 24/7 equipment that runs at full tilt boogie can experience unexpected events. I have responded to alarms on gear that turned out later to have melted, or caught fire in the switchroom/datacenter.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 06:24:33 AM

I ran a number of 5830s out of the garage over the summer and asides from a thick layer of pollen and a few mangled bugs everything was fine. If I were to do it again though I'd duct the rigs with cardboard and use some box fans w/ chopped up furnace/AC air filters to filter the air a bit. Will have to find a similar solution for this upcoming summer as the rigs migrate outside the house again.

No offense, but there are good reasons to not do 24/7 unattended electrical operations with flammable materials.

While I've been known (in my much younger past) to run a machine in a static wrap bag (to decrease cat hairs) in a cardboard tray, I would not attempt to run my mining gear this way. I thought it was dangerous to make that PC work that way - 24/7 equipment that runs at full tilt boogie can experience unexpected events. I have responded to alarms on gear that turned out later to have melted, or caught fire in the switchroom/datacenter.

I appreciate your concern but perhaps I should have been a bit more clear in my plans. I have a wood/steel shelving unit that I will be shrouding the sides in cardboard and placing a box fan at the entrance of this wind tunnel. I've abused enough hardware competitively overclocking over the last half decade to see how fets fail and occasionally roast. Caps no longer explode and proper power supplies have OVP/OCP/short protection(that I have frequently tested due to MB/GPU fets exploding). I have greater concerns over GPUs dying and taking out a rig than a fet shorting to ground and potentially causing a short lived burst of flame.

This is the simplest solution to venting around 7 kW of heat outdoors. Contain and vent rather than vent an entire building.
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 12:08:22 PM

This one is really cheap, less than 25$. Put in a mining rig, it even works as a warm house for flowers during winter, but how to modify it  Roll Eyes

Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2012, 06:29:43 AM

Is there anyone have experience in setting up outdoor housing?

1. rain/snow resistant
2. dust resistant
3. good ventilation

I found it extremely difficult to fulfill all the requirement at the same time, if I cover the open frame shelf with transparent foil, then the ventilation will be so bad that the card get much warmer

I even thought about a stove like design to push the warm air out through a chimney, but then I need to vertically place the cards so that the exhaust point upwards...

I am in the last stages of completeing such a project, it's been hashing in my balcony for roughly a week now, in temberatues of between -5 and 16 degrees celcius . I have taken tons of photos and notes and intend to write an article on it, will post link in this thread once I do.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 06:35:21 AM

Is there anyone have experience in setting up outdoor housing?

1. rain/snow resistant
2. dust resistant
3. good ventilation

I found it extremely difficult to fulfill all the requirement at the same time, if I cover the open frame shelf with transparent foil, then the ventilation will be so bad that the card get much warmer

I even thought about a stove like design to push the warm air out through a chimney, but then I need to vertically place the cards so that the exhaust point upwards...

I am in the last stages of completeing such a project, it's been hashing in my balcony for roughly a week now, in temberatues of between -5 and 16 degrees celcius . I have taken tons of photos and notes and intend to write an article on it, will post link in this thread once I do.
A design with some real data collection and proof of what it can do.  I'm excited to see it.

Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 11:02:49 AM

As promised here's what I got running in my balcony:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76008.0

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: