Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 02:50:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What possible events would make bitcoin go to $0?  (Read 1360 times)
exocytosis

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:00:16 PM

It's built into the fundamentals of Bitcoin that once it attains a value, that value can only go up.

Roll Eyes Take a look at Bitcoin's past price development, please.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 11:52:37 PM

For me, it's a short list.

• An effective attack on the crypto - partial preimage attacks on 2SHA256, preimage attacks on RIPEMD160, forgery attacks on secp256k1. In this situation, the ledger becomes unusable and it becomes a game of he-said she-said to get a "clean" snapshot for forking to sounder algorithms.
  • A 75%+ hashpower vandal able to maintain that position for months. With a clean supermajority a bad actor can keep parallel blockchain branches within 6 confirms of each other (thereby keeping the ledger from converging and making it unusable) as long as they maintain that supermajority.
  • System failure of the Internet. Bitcoin is useless without the gossip network; we've discussed how to theoretically fail over to HAMs but I doubt that'll ever get built.

I think Shamir User A dumping their 2.8MBTC would push us pretty low, but it'd be temporary. I think the development of a significantly better Bitcoin-like system would cause most people to jump ship, but there'd be folks left who'd keep swapping them as collectibles. I think successful, high-profile reorg attacks ("51% attacks") would shake confidence in the system to its core, but that's a wound that the network can heal by changing its behavior. Those are all scenarios that could conceivably push us below the $2 wall that I've (colloquially) referred to as impenetrable, but zero? Zero is a long way down; even those debased Zimbabwe Dollars go for a couple bucks a bill just for the novelty value. Bitcoins becoming worthless would imply, at least to me, that something had changed such that ownership itself couldn't be established anymore.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 11:57:29 PM

If there is a nuclear war and all human die off, then bitcoin will certainly be worthless.

What caused every single human to die off?

Most of the research and analysis I have read about nuclear war shows that a large portion of humanity would die and civilisation as we know it would be over, but I've never heard of a scenario where every human would die from a nuclear war.

Never read (the book) or seen (the movie) on the beach? It's quite good Smiley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_%28novel%29
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:08:37 PM

Exactly, there will always be someone that will try to collect all of them. Imagine owning an entire currency, even if a deceased one, it would be the first crypto currency. It would have historical value. I think there would be people wanting to pay a big amount for it, just like a museum.

What's preventing you from making blockchain copy, turning your computer off the internet, and having the whole bitcoin to yourself - right now? What most of you neophites do not seem to understand, is that the code and blockchain and everything is a digital, trivially copyable asset. The one and only thing which gives cryptocurrency it's value and any meaning is the hashing network and resulting bitcoin evolution consistency. No network = no currency.

Thought it is the network effect of supporters from not just miners, but merchants, traders and consumers give the coin value.
The market gives bitcoin it's value, however it is backed by the network (miners) who give bitcoin it's security.

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:20:31 PM

It's built into the fundamentals of Bitcoin that once it attains a value, that value can only go up.

You'll need to define what you mean by "value" here, because Bitcoin has attained a value in the past that is much higher than its current value.

The fundamentals regard the technical aspects of the coin, not the human element, which is responsible for the price action.

Of course there are and always will be external elements. Market manipulation, hysteria and mania, technical glitches, trading bots etc. But the law of mathematics backing Bitcoin is that, when something has a value and is deflationary, that value cannot but go up. So as long as Bitcoin is used, it will have a value and that value, fundamentally speaking, can only increase in time. As like the value of fiat money that is inflationary, fundamentally speaking, can only decrease in time

So... you arent answering the question at all? You're just saying all sorts of happy thoughts for no real reason?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: