Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:38:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you need a loan for?  (Read 671 times)
thezerg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 06:46:41 PM

I know this is probably better posted in the loans area but of course I can't post there right now.  I'm fascinated by the micro-loaning going on here, and in other currencies.  Where I live (USA), there is not much I can think of off the top of my head that you would need to borrow (say) 20BTC for and then actually be able to pay back 22 (or whatever) in a few weeks.

If you do not consider your business private, I'd love to hear your story!

Thx!
thezerg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 07:33:51 PM

Just an example I could think of:

You want to make payment in BTC now, but must acquire BTC first. Solution: you lend BTC now, and acquire BTC right thereafter in exchange for dollars afterwards to pay back the loan. Could still be cheaper than regular payment if the fees are stiff.

For Europe however, that would hardly be a viable reason due to free SEPA payments within the EU-zone.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 10:00:04 PM

You want to make payment in BTC now, but must acquire BTC first. Solution: you lend BTC now, and acquire BTC right thereafter in exchange for dollars afterwards to pay back the loan. Could still be cheaper than regular payment if the fees are stiff.

correctIon: you *borrow* BTC now ...

Yup, the delays in getting funds moved to the exchanges are a big reason.  Sending funds to an exchange can be done using cash deposit at a bank nowadays using BitInstant, for example, but that is in the 4% fee range and takes a trip to the bank.   If a BTC line of credit could be drawn from, then the purchase using the proceeds of the loan can occur today.  Then when the cash transfer via electronic means (e.g., through Dwolla, for instance) occurs bitcoins can be bought later and the loan paid off.

Where I live (USA), there is not much I can think of off the top of my head that you would need to borrow (say) 20BTC for and then actually be able to pay back 22 (or whatever) in a few weeks.

There are lot of instances where BTC funds are the only or best payment method.   When the seller dictates the payment method the buyer complies.  And there are other reasons as well.   Like to pay off a previous loan.  (Ya, taking a loan to pay off a previous loan -- crazy!  Who do they think they are, the U.S. Government?)   And, don't forget, some of these requests are being made by scammers -- either with the intention of defaulting when taking the loan, or with the intention of repaying and building a good reputation history (see definition of "confidence game") to be able to do a bigger scam down the road.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

btccomm

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 10:05:08 PM

has anybody combined Bitcoin with the Kiva http://www.kiva.org/ (micro loan) concept?
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2012, 09:12:03 PM

has anybody combined Bitcoin with the Kiva http://www.kiva.org/ (micro loan) concept?
I've been wondering that too. Wish I had time to work on it myself.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: