Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:58:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pinterest & Bitcoin (now) vs Facebook  (Read 1567 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 03:09:35 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2012, 08:15:01 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

From the looks of Pinterest's search results, it seems some bitcoiners have started to take advantage of this new social media craze: http://pinterest.com/search/?q=Bitcoin

I was taken aback when I read the following about the percentage of women who use Pinterest.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Pinterest-143361306.html
Social media consultant Shauna Causey says over the past few months, Pinterest has exploded in popularity. Causey says there are about 20 million unique visitors a month and 80 percent of users are women.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss how Pinterest could be used to its fullest potential to bring further awareness to Bitcoin.

~Bruno~
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 03:21:14 AM

That page shows ~ 20 people interested in bitcoin out of a site of 20 million users... not exactly what I'd call good percentage of their userbase. The site itself is interesting, though.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 03:55:27 AM

That page shows ~ 20 people interested in bitcoin out of a site of 20 million users... not exactly what I'd call good percentage of their userbase. The site itself is interesting, though.

Hence, this thread. I find the eye candy (images) linked from each user's profile quite appealing. You have to admit, Bitcoin has had some great images associated with it.

~Bruno~
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 03:57:09 AM

All I know is that my wife will be really pissed at me if I spread bitcoin into Pinterest...  She's sick of me talking about bitcoin and if I infect her online forums, I don't know what will happen, haha.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 04:03:22 AM

Hence, this thread. I find the eye candy (images) linked from each user's profile quite appealing. You have to admit, Bitcoin has had some great images associated with it.

~Bruno~

The eye candy images seem to be an inherent part of the site. It looks like an electronic version of a women's gossip/shopping club - which is actually pretty smart and naturally viral I think.

But pleasing images are not key reason people go to that site. You can find plenty on Google Image search. People go there for what the images represent, and how they can affect/improve their own lives. So, I guess in a way bitcoin could be relevant, but the challenge would be how to convey that in an easily understandable "pin up"  Sad
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 05:21:28 AM

~Bruno~

The eye candy images seem to be an inherent part of the site. It looks like an electronic version of a women's gossip/shopping club - which is actually pretty smart and naturally viral I think.

But pleasing images are not key reason people go to that site. You can find plenty on Google Image search. People go there for what the images represent, and how they can affect/improve their own lives. So, I guess in a way bitcoin could be relevant, but the challenge would be how to convey that in an easily understandable "pin up"  Sad

Introducing the Chippencoins. The idea is to have them put a FistBit address on their inner thighs (or elsewhere, with some using the full Bitcoin donation address), open up a Reddit account...

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 09:16:49 AM

Yeah, the gender split on pinterest is rather extreme. Which is why some guys created manteresting.com .... Probably a more receptive (though currently small) audience for bitcoin related images/graphics.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 08:14:18 PM

Instagram Is Facebook's Pinterest Killer

That makes the billion dollar investment look like absolute genius. Will it make Pinterest go away? Not real soon, but it gives Pinterest a huge competitor as quickly as the improved Instagram or new service can appear.

Having said how smart this is, I should mention that Facebook hasn’t said this is the plan. But, if it isn’t, Facebook would have thrown away a billion dollar opportunity to smite its most serious competitor so far.

I'd say that a tad tit for tat is in order, without a billion dollar investment on Pinterest's part: Disrupt Facebook Credits via Bitcoin.

A good marketing approach would be to ask its users (mainly women) exactly what they desire in a Pinterest currency: Its name (for marketing purposes); its uses (products/services); its fees (albeit low by design); etc. The governing powers at Pinterest would be wise to do this NOW (or ASAP) before they, themselves, pen one line of code. Consider it quasi-opensource, if you will, but either way, allow the users (again, mainly women) the definitive voice in this process.

~Bruno~
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 08:19:48 PM

All I know is that my wife will be really pissed at me if I spread bitcoin into Pinterest...  She's sick of me talking about bitcoin and if I infect her online forums, I don't know what will happen, haha.

QFT  Cheesy

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 10:02:06 PM

President Obama joins Pinterest

The Obama 2012 campaign unveiled a Barack Obama Pinterest page on Tuesday, taking advantage of the fast-growing social network by sharing images of Obama and his family, campaign supporters and paraphernalia and visuals that support administration policies.

It's a shame that Bitcoin is not yet part of Pinerest.

~Bruno~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: