Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:57:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking BFL Monarchs and servicing them while times are weird.  (Read 21158 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
cbjarscoobs

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:33:03 PM

Don't open the loop unless you have a spare heat sink set (some guy is selling them on Ebay for $20 each, if your Monarch had a leak in the cooling system that's a nice fix). Those things run the chips quite warm (60c) and any disruption in cooling will blow the chips since it is *very* thin (which really helps with heat dissipation).

Use the V3X and FBX values to slow it down, remember the second digit is hexidecimal but voltages above 4 are locked out) and have fun with it.

do we put the V3X and FBX in the .conf file? Trying to find the syntax, but struggling to find the answer.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Benjaminplease

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 04:55:48 PM

Trying to get my 2 monarchs to work.

The admins keep deleting my posts and not sure if my pm's are going through.

Thanks Ed for the bfg link. Need to reinstall.

Does the code for the cfminer coding transfer 100% to bfgminer?

Does awesome miner work with monarch BFl 700? In order To do cryptomining auto switching

I got my two 500ghs monarchs running off the BFG 4.2 provided in this thread but only pulling 280 watts at 350 ghs. My 700 ghs keeps erroring out with the 4.2 bfgminer

When you say erroring out do you mean the "sanity check" or it stops?

Mine did a lot of sanity checks then it would warm up and run ok. Kept a fan on it so it wouldn't overheat but made some coin on it...
Kuschelweich

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:11:35 PM

Don't open the loop unless you have a spare heat sink set (some guy is selling them on Ebay for $20 each, if your Monarch had a leak in the cooling system that's a nice fix). Those things run the chips quite warm (60c) and any disruption in cooling will blow the chips since it is *very* thin (which really helps with heat dissipation).

Use the V3X and FBX values to slow it down, remember the second digit is hexidecimal but voltages above 4 are locked out) and have fun with it.

do we put the V3X and FBX in the .conf file? Trying to find the syntax, but struggling to find the answer.

BFL had a underclocking manual for these, it's somewhat brief but does explain this a bit. I'll see if I can post the manual here, but here's some excerpts from it:

Passing commands:
Code:
bfgminer  <network & hashing related parameters…> --set bfl:_cmd1=F0D --set bfl:_cmd1=V5X 

Setting Frequency:
To set the regular frequency, command: ‘F’,’<INDEX>’,’X’ can be used.  This sets the frequency index in regular mode (the slower mode). To operate in the fast 2x mode, ‘F’<INDEX>’D’ must be used.   
For example, to set the frequency to index 3 in regular mode, ‘F3X’ must be submitted. To set the frequency index to 1 at 2x mode, ‘F1D’ should be used. Once either command is issued, the on-board controller recalibrates all the engines on the board to decommission the ones that can’t operate with the new frequency setting. It is HIGHLY recommended to set the core-voltage to proper value before changing the frequency. 
Since the on-board ASICs use Ring-Oscillators, frequency index cannot be accurately mapped to any number (variance could be as high as 40%). Temperature and core voltage will affect the frequency as well.

eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2018, 05:20:37 PM

I have two Monarchs that seem to have faulty temperature sensors and they stop hashing very quickly after bootup. Any way to fix the problem?

I have another with 15% HW error rate, any ideas on this?

eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2018, 06:13:54 PM

I have two Monarchs that seem to have faulty temperature sensors and they stop hashing very quickly after bootup. Any way to fix the problem?

Error rate is only this high with the custom BFL bgfminer 4.2. On 4.10 it seems better and hashrates are higher. However, I'm getting a "failed to find work for queue results" on one Monarch and the two with temp monitor issues do not show up at all.

BadgerHobbs

Activity: 77
Merit: 3

Join CKPool!

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:41:57 PM

I'm having major issues with my 750GH/s Monarch. When i plug my 500GH/s versions into my PSU, they work fine. But when i plug my 750GH/s model in, nothing happens. I have to turn the PSUoff and on again to get it working with my 500GH/s model. Please help!

1H43V4PczcWxfYAkuK3m221G4vKCKngyRV
eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 07:38:28 PM

I'm having major issues with my 750GH/s Monarch. When i plug my 500GH/s versions into my PSU, they work fine. But when i plug my 750GH/s model in, nothing happens. I have to turn the PSUoff and on again to get it working with my 500GH/s model. Please help!

I have a couple that are doing weird things as well, I will try underclocking based on Kuschelweich's post and report back.

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:27:23 AM

Can you check the resistance across the pcie pins to see if it's shorting out? One failure mode on the Monarchs is the high side FETs short due to overheating which crowbars the power supply.

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:29:12 AM

15% error rate is not a big deal, a few engines are screaming but they don't really pull power. As long as it hashes well let it be.

As for the faulty temp sensors, are you sure the water blocks are running? Listen for the water at the radiator top, then check around to see if there are any signs of leaks around the water blocks/pumps.

C
BadgerHobbs

Activity: 77
Merit: 3

Join CKPool!

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:28:30 PM

Can you check the resistance across the pcie pins to see if it's shorting out? One failure mode on the Monarchs is the high side FETs short due to overheating which crowbars the power supply.

C

I don't have a multi-meter to check for resistance, however i have discovered that its plugged in and i attempt to powered it up, it smells of burnt plastic and i even thought that i saw a little smoke from one of the pumps or something.

1H43V4PczcWxfYAkuK3m221G4vKCKngyRV
cbjarscoobs

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:27:45 PM

Trying to get my 2 monarchs to work.

The admins keep deleting my posts and not sure if my pm's are going through.

Thanks Ed for the bfg link. Need to reinstall.

Does the code for the cfminer coding transfer 100% to bfgminer?

Does awesome miner work with monarch BFl 700? In order To do cryptomining auto switching

I got my two 500ghs monarchs running off the BFG 4.2 provided in this thread but only pulling 280 watts at 350 ghs. My 700 ghs keeps erroring out with the 4.2 bfgminer

When you say erroring out do you mean the "sanity check" or it stops?

Mine did a lot of sanity checks then it would warm up and run ok. Kept a fan on it so it wouldn't overheat but made some coin on it...

http://i68.tinypic.com/wqpoqq.png

that is what i am getting. Just looks like it overheats. Fans are working and feels like the water is pumping around.
Benjaminplease

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:09:42 PM

http://i68.tinypic.com/wqpoqq.png

that is what i am getting. Just looks like it overheats. Fans are working and feels like the water is pumping around.

Stupid question,  do you have a separate fan blowing on them? I used a floor fan and it made a big difference. Test the direction to be sure you're not blowing the hot air back into them. If you find another solution please post it.
eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 03:43:14 PM

15% error rate is not a big deal, a few engines are screaming but they don't really pull power. As long as it hashes well let it be.

As for the faulty temp sensors, are you sure the water blocks are running? Listen for the water at the radiator top, then check around to see if there are any signs of leaks around the water blocks/pumps.

C

I believe you are correct, sir.

I can hear fluid when I shake it, but I can't hear any fluid moving when I turn it on. I can tell at least one of the pumps initiates, but the copper blocks heat up immediately, some shares are accepted and then when the temp reaches 85 they shut down. Too little fluid perhaps. I have ordered new cooling units, I'll see if that fixes the issue.

Another issue, I have a 700gh unit that only hashes at 320gh with bfg 4.10 and 400 with BFL custom bfg 4.2. Could this be another cooling issue with one of the units shutting down?

cbjarscoobs

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 03:57:03 PM

C

I can hear fluid when I shake it, but I can't hear any fluid moving when I turn it on. I can tell at least one of the pumps initiates, but the copper blocks heat up immediately, some shares are accepted and then when the temp reaches 85 they shut down. Too little fluid perhaps. I have ordered new cooling units, I'll see if that fixes the issue.

Another issue, I have a 700gh unit that only hashes at 320gh with bfg 4.10 and 400 with BFL custom bfg 4.2. Could this be another cooling issue with one of the units shutting down?

I am having the exact same issue with my 700gh unit. What time s the other cooling unit u are ordering? Do you have a killawatt attached to see wattage draw? Mine seems to spike over 750 watt usage when I turn it on
eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 09:47:25 PM

C

I am having the exact same issue with my 700gh unit. What time s the other cooling unit u are ordering? Do you have a killawatt attached to see wattage draw? Mine seems to spike over 750 watt usage when I turn it on

Good news. Lightfoot was correct, the issue was the coolers. I replaced the two non-functioning units and the monarchs are now hashing along nicely. I am going to try replacing the cooler on the 700GH unit tomorrow.

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 04:46:16 PM

Great! Post how you did it (include things like did you remove the old compound from the chips, what you put on, screw torque amounts, etc) so other people can do this as well.

The Ebay coolers are a bargain....
cbjarscoobs

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 10:42:29 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2018, 08:54:49 PM by cbjarscoobs

Great! Post how you did it (include things like did you remove the old compound from the chips, what you put on, screw torque amounts, etc) so other people can do this as well.

Would I be able to take the pumps off a working 400mhs Unit and install them on a 700mhs?
cbjarscoobs

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:55:27 PM

C

Good news. Lightfoot was correct, the issue was the coolers. I replaced the two non-functioning units and the monarchs are now hashing along nicely. I am going to try replacing the cooler on the 700GH unit tomorrow.

Did you use a walkthrough for replacing the coolers?
eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2018, 04:27:24 PM

I bought the bulk package for $75. I have extras now. They came with the compound on the HS and I removed what was on the units with alcohol. I screwed the back brackets on opposing ends until the flexion on the bracket was almost inverted. It's very similar to a GPU HSF. One issue I had was a bracket was missing the rubber standoffs, but I had some rubber I cut to put in its place.

Sorry, but I didn't take pictures and I sold the Monarchs I had.

eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2018, 04:33:04 PM

Would I be able to take the pumps off a working 400mhs Unit and install them on a 700mhs?

Probably. I did this once to test the problematic 700mhs unit I had, prior to getting the new units. I was never able to figure out the 700 unit I had that was hashing at 400 - 460. It wasn't cooling or power.

These units are very interesting. I'm impressed that BFL was able to produce such a decent unit (albeit hot-running and below performance expectations) given all of their failings.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: