Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:10:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hashmaster 2000, outdoor mining in the arctic.  (Read 11022 times)
twoBitBasher

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 07:20:21 PM

That sucks!  Angry
Well at least the scammer now gets a criminal record if nothing else.
Huuto I assume was the place... Just out of curiosity did the scammer have a brand new account with no positive feedback?

I just bought a used 5970 and It arrived today. I hope this works when I plug it in.

If you think my comments have benefitted you it would be nice to hear thanks Smiley

Doge: DMnfgNp1HQSjtTZ1HcWiYtMwoGP5xcYDcz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Isokivi (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 07:21:35 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2012, 07:40:07 PM by Isokivi

That sucks!  Angry
Well at least the scammer now gets a criminal record if nothing else.
Huuto I assume was the place... Just out of curiosity did the scammer have a brand new account with no positive feedback?

I just bought a used 5970 and It arrived today. I hope this works when I plug it in.

You're correct about the place, a fairly new account with some positive feedback. What did you end up paying for a 5970 if I may ask ? ..also any warranty left, stock cooler.. ?

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 08:40:03 PM

You should also inform the scammer that you have filed a police report. Maybe that will make him realize that he will not get away with it. You have probably googled his name and address and they are real? If you want you can PM them to me and if he lives nearby I can pay a visit Smiley

I recently got scammed for about 800€. Guy lives in Germany. A lot of detective work, some threats (few calls to his wife) and a police report finally made him pay me back. Police can't do shit. Scammer just gets a criminal record and continues his life like nothing happened. Usually they don't have much to lose if they are so stupid that they cheat people in Huuto.net with their own name.

TwoBitBasher, if I may ask, where do you mine? Sometimes in DB but not right now?
twoBitBasher

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 09:14:59 PM

I think I got a good price of 340€ including a nickel+acetal fc 5970 ekwaterblock. No warranty left I think... the GPU block would have had void it anyways. I mine at DB prop mostly during nights when I got all of my computing power at hand. At day time I do mostly pps / dgm pools... you know which ever looks most promising at the time Tongue

After this card is installed I think I need to go shopping for some tubing and set the radiators outdoors.

If you think my comments have benefitted you it would be nice to hear thanks Smiley

Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 05:57:53 AM

I think I got a good price of 340€ including a nickel+acetal fc 5970 ekwaterblock. No warranty left I think... the GPU block would have had void it anyways. I mine at DB prop mostly during nights when I got all of my computing power at hand. At day time I do mostly pps / dgm pools... you know which ever looks most promising at the time Tongue

After this card is installed I think I need to go shopping for some tubing and set the radiators outdoors.

I for one would love pictures of the building of your outdoor radiator.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 06:08:13 AM

You should also inform the scammer that you have filed a police report. Maybe that will make him realize that he will not get away with it. You have probably googled his name and address and they are real? If you want you can PM them to me and if he lives nearby I can pay a visit Smiley

I did inform him, the only reliable docs I have are 2 e-mail adresses and a bank account, I also have a phone number I have not called yet that I know is atleast a working one, but the nubmer cannot be docxed further. I know one of the emails belongs to a female who's (or atleast was some years ago) married and being cheated on and who has some years ago traveled to Bulgaria. I know the other email belongs to a person who played a lot of xbox during 2011 and that he has an youtube account with some music content on it. I also have an address I havent yet attempted docxing yet, and a name + bank account of another induvidual, pressumably the female.
You wouldn't happen to live anywhere near Savonlinna ?

I recently got scammed for about 800€. Guy lives in Germany. A lot of detective work, some threats (few calls to his wife) and a police report finally made him pay me back. Police can't do shit. Scammer just gets a criminal record and continues his life like nothing happened. Usually they don't have much to lose if they are so stupid that they cheat people in Huuto.net with their own name.

Nice, I am the sort of petty person who just "might" choose to take revenge over a matter like this.

Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 06:42:51 AM

The additions/ changes to the airflow are:

One more outblowing fan, on the back side of the box, protected like the ones initially installed.

The second, and far more efficient tweak was to cut a hole for the 6990 I installed to breathe out of, this effectively dissipates a third of the heat produced by the 6990, at a fan speed of 60%.

I know it's ugly, but man does it work. Had the card been further away from the case-door I propably would of have added a tube of somekind.

I had no idea on how these "stock-cooled single small red fan" -type cards cool them, untill I got this one. The solution I stumbled on is very little short of excellent. When you have either side of a card like this close to the rigs outer walls, cutting and shaping an opening that allows the card to blow out heat is very effective. I have been running the card for 859Mhs (at clocks of: cores 970Mhz, memory 200Mhz, core voltage 0.9v, stability: 37h and counting... no crashes, just havent had it running that long at these settings) at temperatures of 63-70,5c, while the outside temperatures have been swinging between 0 - 9c. I'll propably have to throttle down a bit for the summer but Im happy.

The bottom line here: I am now a firm believer of treating dual-gpu cards with stock coolers like PSU's in regular computer cases: separate it from the rest of the airflow where possible, obviously this does not apply to open-frame rigs.

I also redid the entire cable management thing whilst swapping the motherboard, I'll post a large picture of it when Im able, but atm Im holding out for the wifes camera. It's better, not good, It wont ever get good in this case : /  I used ~50 cable ties, but theres simply no place to hide any wires neatly.

I also pulled out the 5830, I have no idea whats up with the card... It started getting temps of 86c nomatter where in the rig I put it. It's now running indoors in a rig labled "I hope this crap dies in a fire". Personally I wouldnt reccomend getting one of those cards for anyone. Mine is a reference-model asus, with stock cooling it was hot loud and horrible, with an arctic cooling fan it's still warm, silent and crappy. The efficiency is just utter shit. It's either undervolted or stable, never both.

dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 02:41:44 PM

I made a box last summer to mine outside. You need a good air flow or the box will become a furnace. Look at the youtube video of the fan.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27764.0
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 05:56:59 PM

I made a box last summer to mine outside. You need a good air flow or the box will become a furnace. Look at the youtube video of the fan.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27764.0

Nice!
That is pretty much the neat, nothreathening-looking design I was initially going for. What are the cards in there, and whats the exact fan you used ?

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:30:47 PM

Wait, how did you prevent dew/condensation from accumulating inside the box?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
twoBitBasher

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 01:16:19 AM

There is exhaust in the top of the case. Moist air comes in in the bottom it heats up end rises up where the fan blows it out. It would probably work perfectly even with out the fans. Temps would skyrocket but still it would be dry in there. Dunno how it's gonna cope with rainy days when the humidity approaches 100% though. Or this being arctic how it is going to handle frost when it's below -20c. Our ac(termal pump outdoor unit for heating) produces a bucket of condensation a day when its that cold.

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 02:00:26 AM

Wait, how did you prevent dew/condensation from accumulating inside the box?

Holy shit, how do people STILL not get this?

Water condensates from hot air onto a cold surface, NOT the other way around. Have you ever seen condensation on the outside of a hot cup of coffee? No. The air is cold (and already very low in humidity) and the computer is HOT. The heat will allow MORE water to retain in the air, preventing any condensation.

ssateneth
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 02:01:54 AM

There is exhaust in the top of the case. Moist air comes in in the bottom it heats up end rises up where the fan blows it out. It would probably work perfectly even with out the fans. Temps would skyrocket but still it would be dry in there. Dunno how it's gonna cope with rainy days when the humidity approaches 100% though. Or this being arctic how it is going to handle frost when it's below -20c. Our ac(termal pump outdoor unit for heating) produces a bucket of condensation a day when its that cold.

Because you have a cold surface within a hot environment. Does your computer have anything that gets colder as it runs? I highly doubt it. Please, l2physics.

twoBitBasher

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 03:08:24 AM

Yeah that is true. What I was referring to is the buildup of frost to the intake of the box which forms a nice icey ring around the intake.

Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2012, 01:52:15 PM

Should the entire rig come to an halt, lets say a power-outage, during winter I'll propably have to bring it in and let it dry before restarting, during the summer the residiual heat within the case will keep condensation from happening, atleast to my experience: the longest power-outage I've seen lasted 1h 15min and thats in 30 years.

Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2012, 01:58:30 PM

Yeah that is true. What I was referring to is the buildup of frost to the intake of the box which forms a nice icey ring around the intake.

That's pretty much something I havent tought of yet, sadly I got next to no testing at sub-zero temperatures worth mentioning, I'll just have to see how this goes in 6 months or so. I doubt it will be fast to happen.. one solution I can think of is hacking up a switch that would reverse the direction of all the fans, any toughts on that ? Reversed airflow for 1h/day would prolly clear up all the buildup within the remaining 23h.

ssateneth
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 04:40:11 PM

FWIW, I had 2 computers completely outside in the winter air of northern wisconsin (easily had some -30c nights) and nothing bad came of it, except for possibly one of the power supplies (no longer allows more than 60% of its rated output before shutting off on its own). It was a PC Power & Cooling 1KW-SR Turbocool. The computers themselves though were unaffected.

Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 08:15:04 PM

Short update: 6gpu's and 2Ghs in there, pulling ~840w atm and the cooling seems sufficient atm, Im looking to cram in one or two more gpu's as soon as I find solid info on what is the maximum for linux. Efficiency is fairly shitty 2,39MHS/J, mostly because of the 6990, I just might have to let that one go. Unless I manage to hack up a working bios with 0.9v and 150mem.

twoBitBasher

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 08:23:12 PM

8 is the limit, but your mobo might need everything extra(e-sata, firewire, usb3, sound, etc) switched off to be able to boot.

Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 07:11:33 AM

8 is the limit, but your mobo might need everything extra(e-sata, firewire, usb3, sound, etc) switched off to be able to boot.
Everything except usb3 is allready off to save every possible amp, and I can drop it too, just need to figure what ports are the regular usb's and what are usb3.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: