Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:12:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Tomasz Kaye will make a Bitcoin Video  (Read 1450 times)
cunicula (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 03:02:45 AM

Raise money to attract more asshats to bitcoin. As if the concentration of asshats wasn't sufficient to repel normal people already.

Is there a way I can pay to have funds for this project confiscated?
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 03:23:03 AM

Is there a way I can pay to have funds for this project confiscated?

Keynesian ex-banker threatens to sabotage progress.  No surprise here...

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 03:37:21 AM

Raise money to attract more asshats to bitcoin. As if the concentration of asshats wasn't sufficient to repel normal people already.

Please define "asshat".

cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 03:55:35 AM

Please define "asshat".

There is no consensus definition. As in the supreme court decision on obscenity, it is easy to give examples, but hard to define rigorously.

Some examples of Asshats:

1) Ron Paul Supporters
2) People who support a return to the gold standard
3) People who promote gun ownership
4) People who home school their children
5) Religious fundamentalists

Asshats are an extremely tiny minority in the community that adopts new technological innovations. They are repulsive to most of the world community.
Bitcoin has an extremely strong concentration of asshats among its core supporters. This is a problem because it creates irrational hostility to bitcoin among the broader world.
The technology itself is okay (has some problems but it could be fixed), however the people associated with the technology are absolutely disgusting.
Most of the hostility surrounds the people associated with bitcoin and not bitcoin itself. Hiring an asshat to make a video to promote bitcoin is a bad idea because it just makes this problem worse.

Hope that helps.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 04:22:44 AM

Please define "asshat".

There is no consensus definition. As in the supreme court decision on obscenity, it is easy to give examples, but hard to define rigorously.

1) Ron Paul Supporters

Asshats are an extremely tiny minority in the community that adopts new technological innovations. They are repulsive to most of the world community.
Bitcoin has an extremely strong concentration of asshats among its core supporters. This is a problem because it creates irrational hostility to bitcoin among the broader world.
The technology itself is okay (has some problems but it could be fixed), however the people associated with the technology are absolutely disgusting.
Most of the hostility surrounds the people associated with bitcoin and not bitcoin itself. Hiring an asshat to make a video to promote bitcoin is a bad idea because it just makes this problem worse.

Hope that helps.

So, by definition, it's anybody who you strongly disagree with that are asshat.  Roll Eyes

cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 04:25:07 AM

So, by definition, it's anybody who you strongly disagree with that are asshat.  Roll Eyes

Not quite true, it is anybody who I disagree strongly with that is on the libertarian side of the political spectrum. Asshat is used elsewhere to describe these types of people. It is not my own term.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 04:31:01 AM

Not quite true, it is anybody who I disagree strongly with that is on the libertarian side of the political spectrum. Asshat is used elsewhere to describe these types of people. It is not my own term.

Precisely. You do not like libertarians coming to use bitcoin on the ground that they are asshat and politically undesirables but you give us no evidence as to why we should give a rat ass or even if they are asshats.

cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:08:58 AM

Precisely. You do not like libertarians coming to use bitcoin on the ground that they are asshat and politically undesirables but you give us no evidence as to why we should give a rat ass or even if they are asshats.

The reason I gave you is that targeting asshats as a focus audience is bad for bitcoin's image in the broader community. Most people strongly dislike asshats. It is not just me. I mean it's great that the rabid Neo-Nazi groups are all pro-bitcoin, but what about the rest of the world? Won't it be hard to convince them to accept Nazi Coin if it continues to be closely associated with political extremism? I'm sure you're an asshat yourself and therefore don't care. Whatever, point still stands.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:12:17 AM

The reason I gave you is that targeting asshats as a focus audience is bad for bitcoin's image in the broader community. Most people strongly dislike asshats. It is not just me.

You said that they are asshats. You have yet to prove that this isn't yet another hatred of tribes that you disapprove of. Face it, politics is tribal, not rational.

cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:18:10 AM

The reason I gave you is that targeting asshats as a focus audience is bad for bitcoin's image in the broader community. Most people strongly dislike asshats. It is not just me.

You said that they are asshats. You have yet to prove that this isn't yet another hatred of tribes that you disapprove of. Face it, politics is tribal, not rational.

Unintelligible drivel. 'Prove people are asshats?' That's clearly asinine. Congratulations asshat, your IQ qualifies you for inclusion on my ignore list!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:21:26 AM

Unintelligible drivel. 'Prove people are asshats?' That's clearly asinine. Congratulations asshat, your IQ qualifies you for inclusion on my ignore list!

And you're on my ignore list for being an idiot and polluting this thread with rationally unjustifable opinion and then not admitting your mistake like a true rationalist.

cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:52:19 AM

Well, this thread kind of went downhill fast and furious.

Tell me cuntcula do you dislike Tomasz Kaye because he's pro-liberty and supports a stateless society? I suppose you would prefer putting the Berlin Wall back up too then? Your arguments make absolutely no sense at all especially considering Bitcoin is kind of the stateless money. He’s the perfect spokesman for Bitcoin. 

I would like bitcoin (or ideally something like bitcoin but much better designed) to be attractive to a broad spectrum of people. To facilitate this, any spokesperson should be someone who is attractive to a broad spectrum of people. 'Stateless society' is attractive to radical right-wing ideologues and abhorrent to the vast majority of people in the world. I don't think bitcoin should be strongly associated with radical right-wing ideology. Bitcoin should be sold as a payments technology, not an extremist political platform.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 07:01:16 AM

The reason I gave you is that targeting asshats as a focus audience is bad for bitcoin's image in the broader community. Most people strongly dislike asshats. It is not just me. I mean it's great that the rabid Neo-Nazi groups are all pro-bitcoin, but what about the rest of the world? Won't it be hard to convince them to accept Nazi Coin if it continues to be closely associated with political extremism? I'm sure you're an asshat yourself and therefore don't care. Whatever, point still stands.

Almost as hard as convincing them to use the SRcoin or the GirlsGoneBitcoin...

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 07:09:17 AM

Unfortunately Bitcoin isn't just a payment technology.  It's a currency.  The two are very different.

This naive stupidity of portraying Bitcoin as just another payment technology is what led directly to the disappointment of the last year, on the part of the general public, as governments attacked it and the price fluctuated wildly.

Treating Bitcoin as a currency instead, we should be encouraging steady growth of the real economy, not just the carry trade.  If you want a payment technology, people like BitPay have built payment systems on top of Bitcoin.  Use those.

cunicula, you obviously either have no clue what is in the best interest of Bitcoin, or you are trying to actively sabotage it.  So, really just stop.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 09:40:11 AM

Quote from: cunicula

Bitcoin will need to do a good job of attracting "asshats" for the next few years, since its current state of development makes political and technological enthusiasts the only group that are open to adopting it in high numbers. Without maintaining and growing this core group, bitcoin will not be developed at an appreciable rate, and won't reach a state where it's attractive to common users.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 10:39:33 AM

Bitcoin will need to do a good job of attracting "asshats" for the next few years, since its current state of development makes political and technological enthusiasts the only group that are open to adopting it in high numbers. Without maintaining and growing this core group, bitcoin will not be developed at an appreciable rate, and won't reach a state where it's attractive to common users.
+1

Bitcoin is still only a passing interest to most libertarians or technology enthusiasts. There is much work to be done in growing our presence within those groups. Bitcoin is most definitely a niche interest at this point and I don't think that talking about mainstream matters yet. This video is exactly on the right track, getting noticed more in the libertarian circles is exactly what we need.

I honestly think that cunicula is really pushing it lately, not only does he not have a clue what Bitcoin is really about (hint: freedom, currency of the people), he seems to be directly insulting a good portion of the Bitcoin community. Bitcoin is not, and is not supposed to be, just an efficient payment system. It's much more than that.

Also it seems that lately the ratio of cunicula's productive posts vs insulting/derailing posts has gone from bad to worse. I hope the moderators take this seriously. It's starting to be a problem.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 11:36:34 AM

Scientists and highly educated people are overwhelmingly liberal in outlook. You can appeal to asshats or technologists, not both. Purge the technoligists appears to be the asshat response to this dilemma. Good luck with that.
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:00:17 PM

Please define "asshat".

1) Ron Paul Supporters

Hope that helps.

While it may be unfortunate there is some truth to this.  The layperson's impression that only criminals use Bitcoin is a good example of this.

While the public's perception may be obtuse or unfair an element of PR is necessary to communicate that Bitcoin is good for everyone - not just Libertarians.  Extending this thinking it may not be a good idea to have Libertarian spokespersons attempting to communicate to a broad, non Libertarian audience.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:11:10 PM

Scientists and highly educated people are overwhelmingly liberal in outlook.

LOL... yes and a hundred years ago scientists and highly educated people were even more overwhelmingly white. And?

Nobody would argue that libertarians (ie those who disapprove of the initiation of force) aren't a fringe minority. Abolitionists of tyranny in all its forms tend to be a small and dedicated group, constantly mocked and chastised by a public majority unwilling to relinquish the yokes of slavery.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:18:22 PM

I don't think bitcoin should be strongly associated with radical right-wing ideology.

Tell me cunicula, how Bitcoin is in any way associated with "radical right-wing ideology." And are you suggesting that libertarians are "right wing"?  Would you also suggest that as one approaches the radical right, one approaches fascist sympathies? Please address the discrepancy, as libertarians are the polar opposite of fascists. If you claim libertarians are radical right-wing, then fascists by definition cannot be.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: