Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:37:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ashton Kutcher is among the early investors in Dwolla  (Read 3038 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 06:56:53 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/kutcher-among-early-investors-in-iowa-based-flat-fee-payments-startup-dwolla/2012/04/11/gIQAyfBmAT_story.html
“The potential for Dwolla is to be the backbone for the global financial exchange. Because it’s built to do that. It’s built better than any system that currently exists.”

BRB! Goin' to take a hit, then reread that quote.

Back! Yep, it's still there.

Carry on.

~Bruno~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 09:21:30 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/kutcher-among-early-investors-in-iowa-based-flat-fee-payments-startup-dwolla/2012/04/11/gIQAyfBmAT_story.html
“The potential for Dwolla is to be the backbone for the global financial exchange. Because it’s built to do that. It’s built better than any system that currently exists.”

BRB! Goin' to take a hit, then reread that quote.

Back! Yep, it's still there.

Carry on.

~Bruno~

LOL

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 10:53:34 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RR7kRXWQo2I#t=957s

Did Ashton major in fuzzy math? I can't figure out the math here. First he says that the average restaurants makes $70,000 gross profit (his words). But only 3% of that is net profits. The credit cards charge 3.6% of the gross sales, cutting into that profit. With Dwolla, the restaurants can now double their profits.

Watch the video (timestamped) to see if you can make heads or tails of what's he's trying to relay.

~Bruno~
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 12:23:26 PM

Dwolla is a roach motel. It's not FDIC insured. It's just a matter of time before it is hacked.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 03:51:50 PM

Did Ashton major in fuzzy math? I can't figure out the math here. First he says that the average restaurants makes $70,000 gross profit (his words). But only 3% of that is net profits. The credit cards charge 3.6% of the gross sales, cutting into that profit. With Dwolla, the restaurants can now double their profits.

Watch the video (timestamped) to see if you can make heads or tails of what's he's trying to relay.

~Bruno~

Makes sense to me.

$70,000 gross profits = 3% means that total revenue for the average restaurant would be $70,000/3% = ~$2.3M.  And if they could chop 3.6% of expenses due to no longer using credit cards, then their total gross profits would rise to 6.6% of ~$2.3M, or $152,000.  Hence, they could double their profits if they could get rid of those pesky CC fees.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 05:40:36 PM

~Bruno~

Makes sense to me.

$70,000 gross profits = 3% means that total revenue for the average restaurant would be $70,000/3% = ~$2.3M.  And if they could chop 3.6% of expenses due to no longer using credit cards, then their total gross profits would rise to 6.6% of ~$2.3M, or $152,000.  Hence, they could double their profits if they could get rid of those pesky CC fees.

Does your equation take into consideration that Ashton was talking about $70,000 gross profit per MONTH (not year)?

~Bruno~
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 05:46:52 PM

~Bruno~

Makes sense to me.

Does your equation take into consideration that Ashton was talking about $70,000 gross profit per MONTH (not year)?

~Bruno~

Doesn't really matter what timeframe is being talked about.  $70,000 profit is 3% of $2.3M revenue per month or per year or per decade or per day.  It's the same calculation regardless.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 06:13:27 PM

~Bruno~

Makes sense to me.

$70,000 gross profits = 3% means that total revenue for the average restaurant would be $70,000/3% = ~$2.3M.  And if they could chop 3.6% of expenses due to no longer using credit cards, then their total gross profits would rise to 6.6% of ~$2.3M, or $152,000.  Hence, they could double their profits if they could get rid of those pesky CC fees.

~Bruno~

Doesn't really matter what timeframe is being talked about.  $70,000 profit is 3% of $2.3M revenue per month or per year or per decade or per day.  It's the same calculation regardless.

The point I was trying to make early on was that Ashton misspoke. The $70,000 is gross sales, not gross profit. Then he mentions the term net profits. He and his investment team is investing in companies, but gets the three basic terms confused: gross; net; profit. During the interview at that point, I was watching Ben's reaction, and it looked like he at least knew the difference. He probably opted to not correct Ashton for he may be able to use his assumed lack of basic accounting to his (Ben) advantage down the road. Do the Dwolla comes to mind.

Also, the average restaurant does not gross $2.3M in sales per month or year.

~Bruno~
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:31:03 PM

~Bruno~

Makes sense to me.

$70,000 gross profits = 3% means that total revenue for the average restaurant would be $70,000/3% = ~$2.3M.  And if they could chop 3.6% of expenses due to no longer using credit cards, then their total gross profits would rise to 6.6% of ~$2.3M, or $152,000.  Hence, they could double their profits if they could get rid of those pesky CC fees.

~Bruno~

Doesn't really matter what timeframe is being talked about.  $70,000 profit is 3% of $2.3M revenue per month or per year or per decade or per day.  It's the same calculation regardless.

The point I was trying to make early on was that Ashton misspoke. The $70,000 is gross sales, not gross profit. Then he mentions the term net profits. He and his investment team is investing in companies, but gets the three basic terms confused: gross; net; profit. During the interview at that point, I was watching Ben's reaction, and it looked like he at least knew the difference. He probably opted to not correct Ashton for he may be able to use his assumed lack of basic accounting to his (Ben) advantage down the road. Do the Dwolla comes to mind.

~Bruno~
See, I have no idea how much a restaurant generally takes in, so questioning that number didn't even come into my mind.  :p
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:49:11 PM

Ben Milne is going to pull-a-dwolla on Ashton...

And I predicted it first! Grin
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 06:56:28 PM

Not to take away your thunder, but that's what I meant--pull-a-dwolla not do a dwolla. Good call!

~Bruno~

Makes sense to me.

~Bruno~

Doesn't really matter what timeframe is being talked about.  $70,000 profit is 3% of $2.3M revenue per month or per year or per decade or per day.  It's the same calculation regardless.

~Bruno~
See, I have no idea how much a restaurant generally takes in, so questioning that number didn't even come into my mind.  :p

I hope you my comments in replying to you didn't come across as rude, SgtSpike.

~Bruno~
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:58:10 PM

Not to take away your thunder, but that's what I meant--pull-a-dwolla not do a dwolla. Good call!

~Bruno~

Makes sense to me.

~Bruno~

~Bruno~

I hope you my comments in replying to you didn't come across as rude, SgtSpike.

~Bruno~

Not at all Bruno!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: