Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:09:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how many bitcoins will there be ?  (Read 1709 times)
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:25:33 AM

The total amount of bitcoin is hardcoded to be less than 21 million BTC . . .

FTFY
-snip-

I was wondering when you would show up to correct all those wrong answers Wink

to "defend" my own post:

The total amount of bitcoin is hardcoded to be 21 million BTC at max.

The hardcoded limit is defined [1] as exactly 21 million in MAX_MONEY. While -due to the nature of the halfing- this might never be reached, its still the limit. Thus my wording of "almost" 21 million in the next sentence.

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/2e731f24b5a5c894e013a6d752f1cd409303e916/src/core.h#L21

Im not really here, its just your imagination.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 10:49:35 AM

The total amount of bitcoin is hardcoded to be less than 21 million BTC . . .

FTFY
-snip-

I was wondering when you would show up to correct all those wrong answers Wink

Just having some fun.  Only a few of the answers were truly wrong, such as "it would be up to the miners to prevent the new fork from developing" and "how many there are still out there to be mined I am not sure a solid answer can be given on that".

20999999.9769 is so close to 21 million, that I don't really consider it to be "wrong", although I do find it a bit annoying when people say "exactly 21 million".  Better answers are:

• nearly 21 million
  • almost 21 million
  • approximately 21 million
  • less than 21 million
  • no more than 21 million
  • practically 21 million
  • etc.

to "defend" my own post:

The total amount of bitcoin is hardcoded to be 21 million BTC at max.

The hardcoded limit is defined [1] as exactly 21 million in MAX_MONEY.

Touché!

MAX_MONEY is defined as:
21000000 * COIN

and COIN is defined as:

This isn't used to determine how much will be created, but rather to check to see if any errors have occurred (if a transaction or a fee is larger than MAX_MONEY, then it can't possibly be valid). Given the hardcoded validation routine, your answer is correct.

While -due to the nature of the halfing- this might never be reached, its still the limit. Thus my wording of "almost" 21 million in the next sentence.

It seems odd to say something "is the limit" if it is higher than the maximum possible value.  It's a bit like saying that the limit of human lifespan is 10,000 years, just because I define MAX_LIFESPAN as 10,000 in some program.  And then saying:

"While -due the nature of actual human life- this might never be reached, it is still the limit."

Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 12:29:44 PM

21m is the limit, weather we ever get there is a completely different story.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 02:16:39 PM

-snip-
While -due to the nature of the halfing- this might never be reached, its still the limit. Thus my wording of "almost" 21 million in the next sentence.

It seems odd to say something "is the limit" if it is higher than the maximum possible value.  It's a bit like saying that the limit of human lifespan is 10,000 years, just because I define MAX_LIFESPAN as 10,000 in some program.  And then saying:

"While -due the nature of actual human life- this might never be reached, it is still the limit."

On the other hand the limit set by MAX_MONEY is very close to what will be available in circulation while 10,000 is far from 123 years or 130 years. I also think its fine to say there will be almost (see your own list for more) 21 million coins.

Also wouldnt it be possible to increase the precision which determines how much bitcoin (or rather satoshi in the future) will be generated.  E.g. use 128, 256, 512, etc. bit integer instead of 64 bit integer. So instead of setting the reward to zero [1] it would be fractions of a satoshi... while AFAIK we still wouldnt reach 21 million coins in finite time the difference would be infinitesimal small. I think it would require a fork though, as "old" clients wouldn know how to handle .1 satoshi.

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/93f97aab629d6d3b7e2c296b24fc37eef9502cd1/src/main.cpp#L1159

Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:36:07 PM

there shall be 21 000 000 bitcoins it total but will be less due to lost passwords etc. and last bitcoin will be mined around 2140

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:08:24 PM

On the other hand the limit set by MAX_MONEY is very close to what will be available in circulation while 10,000 is far from 123 years or 130 years.

Well, remember that MAX_MONEY is NOT defined as 21000000.
It is defined as 21000000 * COIN

Since COIN is defined as 100000000, that makes MAX_MONEY = 2100000000000000.

The actual number of integer units that will be created is less than 2099999997690000.

This means that MAX_MONEY is off by 2310000 (2.31 million!).

I also think its fine to say there will be almost (see your own list for more) 21 million coins.

On this we agree.

Also wouldnt it be possible to increase the precision which determines how much bitcoin (or rather satoshi in the future) will be generated.  E.g. use 128, 256, 512, etc. bit integer instead of 64 bit integer. So instead of setting the reward to zero [1] it would be fractions of a satoshi... while AFAIK we still wouldnt reach 21 million coins in finite time the difference would be infinitesimal small. I think it would require a fork though, as "old" clients wouldn know how to handle .1 satoshi.

This would be a forking change.  Not only would "old" clients not know how to handle 0.1 satoshi, but to end up with a different total, you'd have to change the defined value of COIN or in some other way alter the size of nSubsidy.  All of the block rewards would have to become a larger number of integer units and you'd have to interpret transactions in the blockchain differently depending on whether they occurred before or after the block where the new definition was first accepted.

Having a larger integer type while still storing the exact same integer in it wouldn't change the total amount of bitcoins created.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 07:23:42 PM

On the other hand the limit set by MAX_MONEY is very close to what will be available in circulation while 10,000 is far from 123 years or 130 years.

Well, remember that MAX_MONEY is NOT defined as 21000000.
It is defined as 21000000 * COIN

Since COIN is defined as 100000000, that makes MAX_MONEY = 2100000000000000.

The actual number of integer units that will be created is less than 2099999997690000.

This means that MAX_MONEY is off by 2310000 (2.31 million!).

Apparently I didnt think this through, ofc with Satoshi in mind the difference is huge.

-snip-
This would be a forking change.  Not only would "old" clients not know how to handle 0.1 satoshi, but to end up with a different total, you'd have to change the defined value of COIN or in some other way alter the size of nSubsidy.  All of the block rewards would have to become a larger number of integer units and you'd have to interpret transactions in the blockchain differently depending on whether they occurred before or after the block where the new definition was first accepted.

Having a larger integer type while still storing the exact same integer in it wouldn't change the total amount of bitcoins created.

Well a larger type alone would result in plenty wasted (disk/blockchain/memory) space Wink Without a complete restart (and thus the creation of an altcoin) this would certainly result in a very messy protocol. It sounds like the kind of change where you make a little mistake and someone exploits it to actually double the amount of bitcoin is his/her wallet.

Somewhat related: I just found BIP42 [1] and the pull request [2] for it. Love it.

Although it is widely believed that Satoshi was an inflation-hating goldbug he never said this, and in fact programmed Bitcoin's money supply to grow indefinitely, forever. He modeled the monetary supply as 4 gold mines being discovered per mibillenium (1024 years), with equal intervals between them, each one being depleted over the course of 140 years.

aceat64 commented on 2 Apr
This is clearly a bug and one serious enough that I believe if we do not fix it in a timely manner it could destroy confidence in the Bitcoin network.

gmaxwell commented on 2 Apr
Timely manner? ... Well I'm absolutely confident that it will be fixed sometime in the hundreds of years required before it matters.

aceat64 commented on 2 Apr
The longer we delay, the more likely it is that a miner alive today could live until this bug occurs. This gives them a greater incentive to not implement the fix. This is particularly true for any toddlers or infants in charge of sizeable farms.

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0042.mediawiki
[2] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/3842

PublicKey

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:00:22 PM

there shall be 21 000 000 bitcoins it total but will be less due to lost passwords etc. and last bitcoin will be mined around 2140

around 1% is lost 4ever :ooooo
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:14:18 PM

How do you know this?  Where did you get this number?  Do you have a reference?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 09:19:33 PM

Interstingly, wasn't there a flaw discovered earlier this year that would cause the number of Bitcoins being created with each block to re-start at 50 BTC after all 21 million coins were put into circulation or something?

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:41:22 PM

Too bad no one here will be around to see it happen.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 09:47:14 PM

Interstingly, wasn't there a flaw discovered earlier this year that would cause the number of Bitcoins being created with each block to re-start at 50 BTC after all 21 million coins were put into circulation or something?

I think it was expected that it *could* reset after 256 years. 

If I understand the problem correctly, the actual behavior is undefined and left up to the hardware to handle.  The idea was that 250 years from now, a hardware manufacturer could take advantage of the problem to fork the network or cause other problems.

Regardless, the issue was resolved.  If you are still here 250 years from now, you won't have to worry about it.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 09:48:40 PM

Lost coins can be seen as profit for all other bitcoiners because the bitcoins in circulation will be more scarce.

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:56:53 PM

Lost coins can be seen as profit for all other bitcoiners because the bitcoins in circulation will be more scarce.
True, but where did the 1% number come from?  Out of PublicKey's ass?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:58:55 PM

Well, technically the bitcoins are not gone, its just that noone can spend them.

Anyway there was a post about it[1] by DeathAndTaxes not so long ago. Those estimates are nowhere near 1%

Yep, fixed though.

-snip-
Somewhat related: I just found BIP42 [1] and the pull request [2] for it. Love it.

-snip-

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0042.mediawiki
[2] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/3842

True, but where did the 1% number come from?  Out of PublicKey's ass?

IMHO (see above why), yes! People tend to pull percentages out of their behinds all the time.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=675321.0

Nagato4

Activity: 625
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 12:31:18 AM

Well, technically the bitcoins are not gone, its just that noone can spend them.

Anyway there was a post about it[1] by DeathAndTaxes not so long ago. Those estimates are nowhere near 1%

True.
The estimate made by D&T (~2745 btc) is the number of bitcoin that can never be redeemed.

On the other hand, when we use the word "gone", we usually include the coin burnt for altcoin, coin lost due to losing the wallet file or long passphrase, etc. Some even consider satoshi's bitcoin "gone", believing that he will never come back to spend it.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: