Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:57:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloud mining, profitable or not?  (Read 7860 times)
AnnyHan (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 05:02:20 AM

Cloud mining has been a heated topic recently. Some analysts say although the price of coins is going down, the price of cloud mining is rising in general. And some cloud mining providers have even run of stocks of their products.

To me the market a little weird. I think for the cloud mining industry to better develop, it should invite more competition. And buyers should evaluate the risk and returns in advance.

What is your thought on this? Cheesy
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
07Ghost

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:15:09 AM

Of course,it can be profitable. I don't have to warn my little one of heated miners ,huh huh Grin
Game Sir

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 11:42:10 AM

If I have the hash i will be rich!
FLYFLYFLY

Activity: 8

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 11:50:19 AM

Sounds cool Smiley

A newbie question:What would be good choices for buying hash?
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:09:34 PM

p.s. No Shame in Refferrals  Grin

Please read the forum rules.
brokjen420

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:04:16 PM

Cloud mining has been a heated topic recently. Some analysts say although the price of coins is going down, the price of cloud mining is rising in general. And some cloud mining providers have even run of stocks of their products.

To me the market a little weird. I think for the cloud mining industry to better develop, it should invite more competition. And buyers should evaluate the risk and returns in advance.

Gaw Gaw Gaw Sall I Hear Hashlets lets everybody own their own little Mh/s Baby Kinda Like the Ol Zeus Blizzards, They are Known for Using Zeus Miner Chips Anyway. Zeus is going to be opening Zeus Hash soon It's about to finish beta I have .13 mh/s from a previous order there... Its my little paycheck Cheesy

http://gawminers.com/pages/hashlet

https://zeusminer.com/

http://zeushash.com/index.html

Wish you the best of luck Cloud Mining, its the quieter option to being a Miner.
p.s. No Shame in Refferrals  Grin

Banned By Cryptsy chat Mods and Removed my Coins in 2015 Phew
 https://freebitco.in/?r=349706
Klubknuckle

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:25:27 PM

None of the cloud mining is profitable, if there is one please share..

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 03:32:52 PM

Many discussions on this topic.  DrG has a great post about cloud mining here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=739510.0.

The short of it is that cloud mining companies are businesses, and the goal of any business is to make a profit.  As such, they have designed their services in such a way as to minimize the risk on themselves and transfer it to you.  You, as the consumer, have little to no chance to ever profit.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
brokjen420

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:41:57 PM

The Reason we Cloud Mine is To Obtain Coin w/o inflated Platform Prices, and to sell coin once its become profitable.

Want an example of a cloud mining that is profitable, the person that buys Cloud Share right before the price of coin goes up.

Those who wish to buy something like a cloud contract and then sell the coins immediately are well Near sighted and of course 99% time Loose any return on their investment.

Just ask the Guy with 1000 Bitcoins he bought at 20$ uSD a piece and sold at 90$ woot profit huh

20 * 1000 20,000 invested
1000 * 90  90,000   Cashed out
1000 * 1200  1,200,000 Max profit....
                  1,110,000 Profit Missed

There were days when CLoud Mining BTC was not profitable wat so ever yet had those Cloud miners held for 6 months they would have profited 1000%'s of percent.

Simple,

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 04:15:11 PM

The Reason we Cloud Mine is To Obtain Coin w/o inflated Platform Prices, and to sell coin once its become profitable.

Want an example of a cloud mining that is profitable, the person that buys Cloud Share right before the price of coin goes up.

Those who wish to buy something like a cloud contract and then sell the coins immediately are well Near sighted and of course 99% time Loose any return on their investment.

Just ask the Guy with 1000 Bitcoins he bought at 20$ uSD a piece and sold at 90$ woot profit huh

1,110,000 Profit Missed

There were days when CLoud Mining BTC was not profitable wat so ever yet had those Cloud miners held for 6 months they would have profited 1000%'s of percent.

Simple,
You've got an interestingly convoluted view on things.  If your sole intention of cloud mining is to obtain coins and sell once profitable, why would you even bother with the cloud mining at all?  Just buy some coin outright and hold it.  Also, if you think you're not paying inflated platform prices by cloud mining you're delusional.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 04:52:45 PM

1,110,000 Profit Missed

Simple,

I think you smoked too much weed and "brokjen" your head.  Cloud mining will, in almost 99.999% of the cases return less coins then you could have just purchased.  You're also then at risk of losing out on a price spike to sell because you'll be sitting there with your thumb up your but waiting to earn your coins back hoping the spike doesnt deflate beflre you get your chedder back.
DrG
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 05:14:03 PM

1,110,000 Profit Missed

Simple,

I think you smoked too much weed and "brokjen" your head.  Cloud mining will, in almost 99.999% of the cases return less coins then you could have just purchased.  You're also then at risk of losing out on a price spike to sell because you'll be sitting there with your thumb up your but waiting to earn your coins back hoping the spike doesnt deflate beflre you get your chedder back.

And that is why Cex.io was "smart" and the buyers of their hash were "stupid".

Buy 1000 BTC in Jan 2013 for about $13K on BTCe
Move coins to cold wallet
Sell 1000 BTC in Dec 2013 for $1.2Million on BTCe

Total time invested, about 20 minutes and daily checking of prices.

Mining on cloud mining or selling on cex.io to try to break even - endless nights of work to gain 1BTC.

Comedy of errors.
efc17

Activity: 68

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:57:47 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2014, 07:47:47 PM by efc17

I thought Cloud mining was dictated by supply and demand ... surely at some point it becomes profitable?

With more cloud centres popping up would you expect the competition to be good for cloud mining profitability?

I'm interested to see what ZeusHash beta prices launch at.

I kind of like the 'idea' of cloud mining, and would definitely prefer not dealing with the electric bills.  I'd like to just set and forget I guess.

I agree with what the person above said though.  Those figures, in hindsight, cex.io was a terrible investment compared to buying crypto.

Presumably when someone loses, someone somewhere wins right?

It can't go down forever can it?  Huh

3KNSWuue88Rtn9GY6XV3tQTQUd3MwaDuKW
MFqZJ2YQzuFMKSNqmu8uh6xoqqM3FDFrwt
https://www.gate.io/hodl?ref=3553
brokjen420

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:54:52 AM

1,110,000 Profit Missed

Simple,
You've got an interestingly convoluted view on things.  If your sole intention of cloud mining is to obtain coins and sell once profitable, why would you even bother with the cloud mining at all?  Just buy some coin outright and hold it.  Also, if you think you're not paying inflated platform prices by cloud mining you're delusional.

Inflated platform prices are on the trading platforms themselves. Most Coins people bother to mine are inflated or pumped. Not all cloud mining operations could have been profitable but surley not all have been duds. Infact Cloud mining is becoming the most popular way to own a share of the mining power. Most people dont realize that you cant actualy determine profitablilty of a coin especialy when looking long term.

IMO A combination of things make profitability and in the end USER ERROR is were most people go wrong and loose money. Play your cards right and you can make skipping rocks profitable. Even Lottery winners end up poor beacuse well people who are stupid with currency are just stupid with currency.

Cloud mining companys offer a product, stupid people buy the product when its not profitable, people who research or intellegent people buy the product when its profitable or just before it becomes profitable. The Could Mining company doesent Care if your Stupid or intellegent  their offering a service not free money.

Cant complain about that, services are good for crypto community. Scam Companys that steal pre order money are things that can bruise the community. I do suppose if BTC/LTC doubled in price tomorrow all cloud companys would suddently have a profitable product if purchased today. So Dont hate on the Cloud its As good as Gambeling by buying coins outright and selling when you seen a bump.

Sell 1000 BTC in Dec 2013 for $1.2Million on BTCe  -- You see if the Man who purchased the 1000 BTC in DEC had instead  Purchased Cloud Mining power a month Earlier he would have had a very profitable month Cloud Mining... Making your Statement = to mine buying coin = Great Investing in cloud = Great

coory

Activity: 112

We Have To Stop The IMC!

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:56:03 AM

i earned 14 euro in 2 weeks from mining
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:29:23 AM

I personally suggest hosting in most cases if you are long term.  Cloud and renting are best normally for short term in my opinion.
toleng

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:35:01 AM

Both KnC and the maker of antminers (bitmantech) opened separate cloud mining services today. I did "back of the napkin" calculations and it looks like that if you assume a 10% increase in difficulty levels in the near future (much lower then difficulty has been increasing in the recent past) then you will lose 50% of your investment. You will lose much more (IDR how much) if difficulty were to increase by a more realistic 20% every two weeks.
brokjen420

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:00:38 AM

i earned 14 euro in 2 weeks from mining

Scrypt or Sha

how much hash power and what were you mining or where?

DrG
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:48:04 AM

1,110,000 Profit Missed

Simple,

Inflated platform prices are on the trading platforms themselves. Most Coins people bother to mine are inflated or pumped. Not all cloud mining operations could have been profitable but surley not all have been duds. Infact Cloud mining is becoming the most popular way to own a share of the mining power. Most people dont realize that you cant actualy determine profitablilty of a coin especialy when looking long term.

IMO A combination of things make profitability and in the end USER ERROR is were most people go wrong and loose money. Play your cards right and you can make skipping rocks profitable. Even Lottery winners end up poor beacuse well people who are stupid with currency are just stupid with currency.

Cloud mining companys offer a product, stupid people buy the product when its not profitable, people who research or intellegent people buy the product when its profitable or just before it becomes profitable. The Could Mining company doesent Care if your Stupid or intellegent  their offering a service not free money.

Cant complain about that, services are good for crypto community. Scam Companys that steal pre order money are things that can bruise the community. I do suppose if BTC/LTC doubled in price tomorrow all cloud companys would suddently have a profitable product if purchased today. So Dont hate on the Cloud its As good as Gambeling by buying coins outright and selling when you seen a bump.

Sell 1000 BTC in Dec 2013 for $1.2Million on BTCe  -- You see if the Man who purchased the 1000 BTC in DEC had instead  Purchased Cloud Mining power a month Earlier he would have had a very profitable month Cloud Mining... Making your Statement = to mine buying coin = Great Investing in cloud = Great

First off cloud mining has more inherent risk than owning hardware.  With owning hardware you can stop mining at any time and sell the hardware - recouping usually at least 1/2 your initial capitol.  Very few cloud mining contracts let you exit at any time.

I can't really understand what you meant by the part I bolded.  But if you bough a cloud contract back then you would have had a few BTC trickling in everyday as opposed to the 1000BTC sitting in your wallet.  Assuming no slippage on an exchange you will ALWAYS come out ahead versus cloud mining.

Not 1 person has come out yet stating they made their ROI.

I suggest you read this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=739510.0
Theo75

Activity: 15

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:32:40 PM

The decision to use cloudmining services depends on your needs.

There are some people who want to get involved personally (hands-on). Cloud-mining is not for them.

There are numerous other people (many of them almost without any basic knowledge or experience in altcoins) who would be willing to learn but think that this is a difficult task for them (e.g. setting the miners themselves etc.) and/or people lacking the space to have their own miner.

As far as profitability is concerned it all comes to lucky guesses as it always is the case in the crypto world. Can you find a good coin to mine before it becomes a main-stream hit, then you will have profits. Did you put all your money to mine a scam coin you will lose.

Nothing in cryptoworld is straight forward!

Just my 5 cents!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: